Cant wait for the NY derby

Well it shouldn't be classified as a NY game. Infact they really shouldn't be referred to as New York at all which most likely would antagonize their fans more than anything. Obviously its the nearest MLS club (at the moment) but some people are treating RB like they are guaranteed to be the only rival. There are exceptions of course. In the case of MCFC for example one rival stands out far above the rest but Man United are such an utterly detestable club so contempt is almost entirely directed at them.

You never know what could happen in the first couple of years with DC, Philadelphia, NER, etc. There might be a game or incident of such magnitude that propels it right to the very top of the list. Look at Yankees for instance they don't consider the NY mets to be their main rival. Right now its too early to know for sure though it probably will be RB.

Speaking of RB there's one key issue people overlook with them. RB is a corporation and corporate policy can change at any moment. They might not even be called RB 10 years from now. Obviously someone would buy it but I would suggest their ownership is far more uncertain than that of NYCFC or Cosmos. When the usual tedious argument is directed at NYCFC by their fans that really will be one of the main ways to fire back at them. At least this club knows the owners are in it for the long haul.

Well it shouldn't be classified as a NY game. Infact they really shouldn't be referred to as New York at all which most likely would antagonize their fans more than anything. Obviously its the nearest MLS club (at the moment) but some people are treating RB like they are guaranteed to be the only rival. There are exceptions of course. In the case of MCFC for example one rival stands out far above the rest but Man United are such an utterly detestable club so contempt is almost entirely directed at them.

They still call it the Manchester derby, despite the fact that United are based outside of Manchester themselves...

I suspect you could actually draw quite a few parallels between the Manchester and New York derbies.

Reactions: Kinkladze
Well Salford is as close as you can get to Manchester and the two areas border right up next to each other. They are considered two separate cities but people do become confused and believe Salford is part of Manchester (it is part of Greater Manchester) though you're correct. Now United pretty much get away with it because of the confusion and in their early history they did play in Manchester.

Articles like this show just how much Salford is overshadowed.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...f-the-parliamentary-map-in-disgraceful-870551

Nobody however confuses New Jersey with New York. Its bizarre that two successive regimes have done this not to mention the wasted marketing opportunities. Had they tried to market New Jersey in New York (especially considering they had the entire catchment area of NY/NJ to themselves until last couple of years) there's nothing wrong with that but for whatever reason they wasted it. NYCFC should market in New York AND New Jersey and hit RB hard in both areas. That's one thing that's been overlooked (as far as I've observed) will NYCFC expand marketing scope into New Jersey?

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I think they're going to market to NYC only. This club will draw so much support from outside of the city (like myself) due to the NYY and MCFC connection they wont have issues filling seats.
It's obvious the money is being funneled to advertise a club that represents the City (#5boros1city)

I feel like the biggest rivalry would be if we played the Cosmos in the US Open Cup. The atmosphere then should be the best to determine who NYC's true team is....spoiler alert it's us

The New York derby is one of the things I'm most looking forward to watching next season, albeit from afar. You have the opportunity to make something truly awesome to behold. I see that the New Jersey Corporate Sell-outs are already mouthing off on twitter - there's already all the hallmarks for a fierce rivalry. Remember to not give them an inch, don't be intimidated, and when they struggle don't boast but just give them a knowing smile. You just need to make sure that you have some songs about them in time for your first derby and you should be all set.

I think we should go to a NYRB game and just invade it. Get a big group of us to just go in NYCFC apparel and root against them and chant our own stuff. Thoughts?

I think we should go to a NYRB game and just invade it. Get a big group of us to just go in NYCFC apparel and root against them and chant our own stuff. Thoughts?

Yes! That's the type of "in your face" move that would generate tons of attention. If the RB fans reacted badly to it then that might reflect worse on them. That should be done at some point this season but not with advance warning and not blatantly displaying shirts until the game is underway. Dependent on numbers and secrecy that's an idea that makes a lot of sense. If kicked out then what's wrong with that as long as its not violent or vulgar. Maybe the same should be done to Cosmos as well.

It wouldn't essentially have to be on a matchday either. Group of fans could show up on a non matchday and film stuff. Perhaps mocking the wasted advertising opportunities by Red Bull (and the previous regime) amongst other things. Like walk up to random passers by and get them to say/chant negative things about RB.

Last edited:
Yes! That's the type of "in your face" move that would generate tons of attention. If the RB fans reacted badly to it then that might reflect worse on them. That should be done at some point this season but not with advance warning and not blatantly displaying shirts until the game is underway. Dependent on numbers and secrecy that's an idea that makes a lot of sense. If kicked out then what's wrong with that as long as its not violent or vulgar. Maybe the same should be done to Cosmos as well.

It wouldn't essentially have to be on a matchday either. Group of fans could show up on a non matchday and film stuff. Perhaps mocking the wasted advertising opportunities by Red Bull (and the previous regime) amongst other things. Like walk up to random passers by and get them to say/chant negative things about RB.

I was actually just talking to one of my friends about how bad their marketing is and how I could of improved it, but that they never got back to me about an internship. Serves them right. The Impact lost on a massive amount of profits too with a marketing plan I gave them but they didn't use.

Personally, I feel like if you're going to take the NY derby seriously then you need a good, slightly insulting name for the Red Bulls. New Jersey Energy Drinks is good, but it's also a little tame. Perhaps something to do with the slightly off-putting orangey colour of Red Bull? The New Jersey Urine Samples, perhaps? You could then describe their fans as "the Specimens" ;)

I'm sure someone more creative could come up with something better.

#MooJersey

Stupid cows
can't you see?
you're livin in
New Jersey
Mooooooooooo
You're the Cows

Metros out
Red Cows In
Doesn't matter
still can't win
Mooooooo
Youre the cows

#MooJersey

Stupid cows
can't you see?
you're livin in
New Jersey
Mooooooooooo
You're the Cows

Metros out
Red Cows In
Doesn't matter
still can't win
Mooooooo
Youre the cows

All I have to say is, if:
Metros Out
Red Cows In
Doesn't Matter
Still Can't Win
Doesn't become a chant, well I don't know...we might as well throw in the towel.