Celebrities You Want To See Support This Team?

Wonder if the clubs planning on inviting a ton of celebrities (and by that I don't mean one or two) for the first game. Certainly would attract extra attention though argument can be made it would take spotlight off the players a bit. Still endorsement from well known figures isn't a bad thing if not excessive. How do people define the term "celebrity" anyway?

The club needs to create its own personalities. That's why the club needs someone like Balotelli with his personality and propensity for headline drawing antics. This isn't a knock on David Villa at all but he's not exactly been signed for "cult of personality" reasons. He's going to draw attention for high performance (hopefully and very realistically) but do we want a squad entirely comprised of safe corporate citizens? That's probably what its going to be but Henry hasn't exactly flooded the media with headlines is he? Beckham was corporate friendly but in the absolute top tier of name recognition not just as a football personality.

I truly believe someone like Balotelli as the face of MLS will do more than anyone to elevate media attention. If nobody can get him (at least anytime soon) then people should be looking out for the next best thing. I don't know much about basketball but the 3 main players of past/present I can name would be Michael Jordan (more like the Beckham type), Dennis Rodman and Metta World Peace. There needs to be people like that in MLS. I don't think Kreis would sign people like the latter 2 in a million years. Yet it could be people like those two who become the major draw for MLS as a whole. Right now due to the squad restrictions overall quality of the league isn't going to inflate publicity overnight.

This is NYC there's no harm in having a bit of danger involved. It can be a hell of a draw. If NYCFC take no steps in that direction another club surely will.

Wonder if the clubs planning on inviting a ton of celebrities (and by that I don't mean one or two) for the first game. Certainly would attract extra attention though argument can be made it would take spotlight off the players a bit. Still endorsement from well known figures isn't a bad thing if not excessive. How do people define the term "celebrity" anyway?

The club needs to create its own personalities. That's why the club needs someone like Balotelli with his personality and propensity for headline drawing antics. This isn't a knock on David Villa at all but he's not exactly been signed for "cult of personality" reasons. He's going to draw attention for high performance (hopefully and very realistically) but do we want a squad entirely comprised of safe corporate citizens? That's probably what its going to be but Henry hasn't exactly flooded the media with headlines is he? Beckham was corporate friendly but in the absolute top tier of name recognition not just as a football personality.

I truly believe someone like Balotelli as the face of MLS will do more than anyone to elevate media attention. If nobody can get him (at least anytime soon) then people should be looking out for the next best thing. I don't know much about basketball but the 3 main players of past/present I can name would be Michael Jordan (more like the Beckham type), Dennis Rodman and Metta World Peace. There needs to be people like that in MLS. I don't think Kreis would sign people like the latter 2 in a million years. Yet it could be people like those two who become the major draw for MLS as a whole. Right now due to the squad restrictions overall quality of the league isn't going to inflate publicity overnight.

This is NYC there's no harm in having a bit of danger involved. It can be a hell of a draw. If NYCFC take no steps in that direction another club surely will.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/celebrityphotogallery

well those are the biggest celebrities who have been spotted at red bull...I don't see why we can't draw bigger names in. The biggest non sporting name here is prob gerrard buttler

Ballotelli would be huge for publicity. He is someone that even casual fans know. Plus, he would be sure to put his name in the news with some antics during the year. I'd love him here. Could be possible if he wants to get away from the racism over there. If anyone says anything racist about ballotelli here they would get their butts kicked.

I don't see big name celebs overshadowing the players though. But I'd like to see the team go big on opening day....maybe even a short jay z performance before kick off or something. Cool way to put butts in seats.

10-Tom Cruise
9-Ricky Martin
8-Liam Gallagher
7-NPH
6-Tina Fey
5-Steve Buscemi
4-Daniel Radcliffe
3-Kevin James
2-Patrick Stewart
1-Hugh Jackman

I went with celebs I know who have a place in NYC, no real factors, some because I know they are sports fans, others because I know they are soccer fans and others just because they would give the team some buzz and others, because it would just be cool to see them at a game....Kelly Ripa was left off, since she goes to Red Bulls games. LOL

I think Kelly Ripa can come over to the dark side.

I love when people that say they have NO idea who someone is.... I mean, Im not a fan of Jon Lovitz, but I still know who he is

Usually it's a way to make yourself sound like you're on some tier above the 'little people' who actually have time for such minor things like celebrities.

I'm as absent minded as they come in terms of popular culture, but I know who Miley Cyrus is. I don't go apeshit over celebrities, but it'd still be cool to see someone famous supporting your club because it will always attract new people to the team. Imagine what it could do for the club's popularity if omeone like Justin Timberlake or Jimmy Fallon came out and said "Hey! Checkout NYC FC!".

I need lessons in Celebs.... Jon Lovitz.... "I thought surely its a girl" but googled him anyway before deciding not him

Miley Cirus..... Google, yes its her. She sang a song or two did't she ? Is she really an A lister ?

Now Justin Timberlake I have heard of something to do with Micky Mouse wasn't he. IS he from New York ?
Who is Jimmy Fallon ?

Can't we have fans like Bill Gates, so we can tap him up for a few quid to get some decent players

I need lessons in Celebs.... Jon Lovitz.... "I thought surely its a girl" but googled him anyway before deciding not him
a woman? really?
Now Justin Timberlake I have heard of something to do with Micky Mouse wasn't he. IS he from New York ?
Who is Jimmy Fallon ?
So you knew who he was at 10 ? What the hell is going on?

Last edited:
Reactions: einwindir
a man? really?

So you knew who he was at 10 ? What the hell is going on?

Honestly mate, 99% of "celebrities" could walk into my bar without me having a clue who they are or what they have done.

For example the list above

10-Tom Cruise -Cocktail (not seen) Top[ Gun (have seen) - Demi Moore (know the name wouldn't recognise her in a line up)
9-Ricky Martin
8-Liam Gallagher ... Oasis
7-NPH
6-Tina Fey
5-Steve Buscemi
4-Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
3-Kevin James
2-Patrick Stewart... (the new Captain Kirk, whatever he is called)
1-Hugh Jackman

You have the extent of my knowledge of the above

I bet lots of European soccer "celebs" will be there during the summer months, on vacation in NY, invited by MCFC/CFG. I know that Vincent Kompany has taken in a Yankees game before.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
When I was in England (Reading specifically), I couldn't believe how much the papers there LOVEDDDD talking about American shit. But I feel like M MrE is stuck in the 80s and 90s though. Even the celebs he knows... he knows them from crap 20 years ago only. LOL.

"Did you guys see that new movie last night?! The guy said "We're gonna need a bigger boat." It was nuts."

LOL just playin with you my man.

Honestly mate, 99% of "celebrities" could walk into my bar without me having a clue who they are or what they have done.
When I was in England (Reading specifically), I couldn't believe how much the papers there LOVEDDDD talking about American shit. But I feel like M MrE is stuck in the 80s and 90s though. Even the celebs he knows... he knows them from crap 20 years ago only. LOL.

"Did you guys see that new movie last night?! The guy said "We're gonna need a bigger boat." It was nuts."

LOL just playin with you my man.

Don't tar me with the 90's.... to borrow a quote from Don MacClean, December 31st 1989 was the "day the music died" (actually it was 21st March 1987, the day I married !!!!)

For example the list above

10-Tom Cruise -Cocktail (not seen) Top[ Gun (have seen) - Demi Moore (know the name wouldn't recognise her in a line up)
9-Ricky Martin
8-Liam Gallagher ... Oasis
7-NPH
6-Tina Fey
5-Steve Buscemi
4-Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
3-Kevin James
2-Patrick Stewart... (the new Captain Kirk, whatever he is called)
1-Hugh Jackman

You have the extent of my knowledge of the above

showing my nerd cred here, but he is not the new Capt, Kirk, but the one and only Capt. Jean Luc Picard (Star Trek the Next generation) lol

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
"Only question I thought was hard, was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?".......Weird Al (White and Nerdy)