Cfg Commitment To Nycfc

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
The video is definitely a must watch. I definitely believe in their commitment to grow the clubs and foster a winning mentality.
It's obvious that having clubs that lose revenue for the sake of bettering MCFC (players) isn't part of the equation.
Part about CFG/NYCFC starts at about 5:00 minutes.
Part 2 starts around 5 minute mark.
http://m.mcfc.co.uk/?name=mancity&i=14703/1/0&artId=557602

Last edited:
Watched the video. Happy I did, but nothing about NYCFC
It's a two part interview and the discussion of the non-MC clubs astarts around the 5-minute mark in part 2. You have to click around a bit to find part 2 but it's not too hard. The NYC specific section begins around minute 7 of part 2. It is vague corporate blah blah, which seems to be this guy's specialty. He says we're a club built by the fans for the fans - like we decided to copy MC's kit and lie to ourselves about Lampard - and even though we're losing, the love for the team shown by the fans is graatifying. That last bit was the only part that seemd genuine.
I don't doubt that they're committed to making this work (unless at some point they decide otherwise - which I'm not expecting but it's slightly possible) but this video was slightly less entertaining and informative about NYCFC than the Aguero/Villa contest videos.

It's a two part interview and the discussion of the non-MC clubs astarts around the 5-minute mark in part 2. You have to click around a bit to find part 2 but it's not too hard. The NYC specific section begins around minute 7 of part 2. It is vague corporate blah blah, which seems to be this guy's specialty. He says we're a club built by the fans for the fans - like we decided to copy MC's kit and lie to ourselves about Lampard - and even though we're losing, the love for the team shown by the fans is graatifying. That last bit was the only part that seemd genuine.
I don't doubt that they're committed to making this work (unless at some point they decide otherwise - which I'm not expecting but it's slightly possible) but this video was slightly less entertaining and informative about NYCFC than the Aguero/Villa contest videos.
Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of this club... but how in the hell was this club *at all* built by fans or for fans? I've heard a lot of marketing crap, but that's top shelf.

I don't doubt that they are committed financially to this franchise. But I have yet to see whether they seriously value this team as more than just a marketing experiment. Talking does nothing. Anyone can do that. They are going to need to hit quite a few home runs over the next few seasons to make up for all the doubt they created over the last 6 months.

Reactions: Gene
I don't doubt that they are committed financially to this franchise. But I have yet to see whether they seriously value this team as more than just a marketing experiment. Talking does nothing. Anyone can do that. They are going to need to hit quite a few home runs over the next few seasons to make up for all the doubt they created over the last 6 months.

i think you guys are seriously asking way too much of a first season franchise.
We really didn't have much choice over how the team was built.
Here's X amount of players to choose from around the league who no one wants and hope you pick a hidden gem.
We're in the same seat as Orlando.

This is a 3-5 year 'adventure' not 'experiment'
The investment that they're making in the club and future academy is more than an experiment to me. And if you think so then honestly just go back to watching Yankees.
And by adventure I mean it will take 3-5 years of sticking with the club as they develop their way of football and instill that in the squad and hopefully develop the younger talent.
Didn't really find any 'corporate talk' he discussed the commitment CFG is making to all teams in making them financially secure and successful with the goal in mind to win trophies.
The same thing they're doing with MCFC. Investing tons in their academy so they're not having to spend absurd amounts on the market.
The academy is stacked with talent as seen by how they've played
Updated with part 2 and it starts at 5 and change.

Exactly my feelings too.

Sorry for bringing up old news (notice it isn't stopping me though ;)), but the Lampard fiasco was a punch in the face to NYCFC fans in so many ways.......well, at least to us non-MCFC apologist types anyway. Sure it's way past the time to let go and get over it, and for the most part I am. However it still happened and that can never be changed.

The Pirlo talk is exciting and Joy indicating it may be someone younger and better is all well and good, but until the time comes that certain things actually take place, that doubt (as whill4 stated) will remain.

Exactly my feelings too.

Sorry for bringing up old news (notice it isn't stopping me though ;)), but the Lampard fiasco was a punch in the face to NYCFC fans in so many ways.......well, at least to us non-MCFC apologist types anyway. Sure it's way past the time to let go and get over it, and for the most part I am. However it still happened and that can never be changed.

The Pirlo talk is exciting and Joy indicating it may be someone younger and better is all well and good, but until the time comes that certain things actually take place, that doubt (as whill4 stated) will remain.
I think talk happened behind the scenes to ensure that doesn't happen again. Hell we did the same thing with villa. He was supposed to go down there for x amount of games and only stayed for Y.
I mean aside from Lampard our connection to CFG has only helped us. There's no chance that villa would be here and Lampard on his way if we weren't connected with CFG. Hell we might not even have a team as I can't imagine Yankees willing to share their stadium with other investors. I think their trust in cfg's ability to make a stadium led to them joining the partnership.
As far as 'waiting for things to happen' we really don't have a choice. You can't sign players outside of the transfer window... So... It doesn't matter who our owners are we are where we are until rules in place allow us to change the status quo.

Here's X amount of players to choose from around the league who no one wants and hope you pick a hidden gem.
I am honestly not too concerned about the overall level of play. I never expected us to take the league by storm and I have no problem giving Kreis another two years to figure things out. It's the off the field issues that I am referring to. I am not going to instantly forget about these issues until they start proving otherwise.
If the numbers that are being tossed around regarding Pirlo are even close to true, the commitment should not be a question.
Like I said in the Pirlo thread, money means absolutely squat to these guys. So them spending something that they don't even value that highly really doesn't prove a lot to me. It's their actions that mean the most to me. And some of their actions so far have not shown to me that they're fully committed for this team to be its own stand alone entity. For me the jury is still out and hopefully they make up for some of their mistakes over the next few years and I can get all on board the CFG train. Because I really do want to like them.

Reactions: Gene
The video is definitely a must watch. I definitely believe in their commitment to grow the clubs and foster a winning mentality.
It's obvious that having clubs that lose revenue for the sake of bettering MCFC (players) isn't part of the equation.
Part about CFG/NYCFC starts at about 5:00 minutes.
Part 2 starts around 5 minute mark.
http://m.mcfc.co.uk/?name=mancity&i=14703/1/0&artId=557602
Thanks Dan. You know I haven't really settled on an EPL team but there it is, now it is settled. I will be rooting for Man City moving forward. I really like this guy Khaldoon Al Mubarak, and I feel he is as genuine as one can be given his position and level of corporate speak he needs to abide by.

The fact that we are the only MLS team in on Pirlo, who has offers in Serie A and a A$10 million offer in australia, says all I need to know about their commitment. 12 million euro (13.5 million) is insane money to be spending on an MLS player. Trying this hard to get Pirlo erases Lampard's fiasco forever, and if it doesn't you are a bitter grudge holder. You cannot continue to question commitment if they blow away the highest MLS salary to bring this kind of player.

This is a 3-5 year 'adventure' not 'experiment'
The investment that they're making in the club and future academy is more than an experiment to me. And if you think so then honestly just go back to watching Yankees.
And by adventure I mean it will take 3-5 years of sticking with the club as they develop their way of football and instill that in the squad and hopefully develop the younger talent.
Didn't really find any 'corporate talk' he discussed the commitment CFG is making to all teams in making them financially secure and successful with the goal in mind to win trophies.
The same thing they're doing with MCFC. Investing tons in their academy so they're not having to spend absurd amounts on the market.
The academy is stacked with talent as seen by how they've played
Updated with part 2 and it starts at 5 and change.
Spot on Dan. I have been saying this more or less over the past couple of months. That's why I am really excited, as mentioned in an earlier post to see how we play next year with a full real off season and the depth we will add and changes that will be made with the roster.

We are dead last in the league. Literally the worst team in the league. We have only won 2 games. It doesn't look like we are getting a stadium any time soon. Our "parent" club took our (2nd) best player for half the season. Our jerseys are an exact replica of City's kit. On the positive side we do have Villa, which is cool. I think it's understandable that we are questioning CFG's commitment to the club, and until I see actions to prove otherwise, rather than them constantly telling us that it's going to be great for us (great scouts, great resources, great relationship with City) I will remain skeptical of their ownership.

Thanks Dan. You know I haven't really settled on an EPL team but there it is, now it is settled. I will be rooting for Man City moving forward. I really like this guy Khaldoon Al Mubarak, and I feel he is as genuine as one can be given his position and level of corporate speak he needs to abide by.
Can I just add myself and kids have had the privelge of meeting Mr Mubarak on several occasions he is an absolute gent and any question s we asked him he just answered honestly ,he even told us why they had bought city.he is totally approachable considering his position in the abu Dhabi hierarchy.

Reactions: S1ARK5
Wait a second, you think one of the main reason, and correct me if I am wrong, that CFG wanted a team in MLS, in NYC is simply to market Man City? As someone who knows marketing very well to say the least, and has a business degree, and has been in involved in pro sports as an athlete, you think CFG is only interested in marketing Man City as the sole reason to invest in a team in NYC/MLS. I can assure you, the money they are spending in MLS and the money they will be spending by building a stadium within the 5 boroughs, and everything else that goes with it, I CAN ASSURE you, if you take 1/10 of that money and simply do marketing for Man City, not only in NYC but all over the world, it would be better served. This is simply not the case.

CFG's whole goal is to number one be known as the dominant football organization throughout the world. And how do you do that? by simply saying look how great Man City is, you silly americans with kids, when your kids grows up and if he is good enough to play in the EPL, he better come to Man City, sorta like a recruiting tool? Or is it to try and pry some of the Eurosnob fans rooting for Man U, or Chelsea that live in NYC to come and root for Man City? Do you see how silly that sounds? I can go and on and on....the bottom line is again global domination from a football standpoint. CFG wants to be known as a the premier Football organization and you do that by building some of the top teams in the world within their respective cities and leagues.

What does this say about CFG, if this happens?

Man City - EPL Champions
NYCFC - MLS Champions

Insert another team here in other leagues - Champions

It tells you these guys don't mess around and that their system works. You don't make money owning a sports franchise by doing marketing, you make money of sports franchise by appreciation in value. But again to the Shaikh Mansoor's of the world really it isn't about making revenue as much as leaving a legacy. Believe me they have enough wealth. It's about building something special where ever they go.

Can I just add myself and kids have had the privelge of meeting Mr Mubarak on several occasions he is an absolute gent and any question s we asked him he just answered honestly ,he even told us why they had bought city.he is totally approachable considering his position in the abu Dhabi hierarchy.
I honestly believe it. I can see it by the way he speaks and his facial language. Also, I have met many many professionals and business people from Abu Dhabi and I found them all to be very genuine and honest people. Not to say all are like that, but the good, hard working honest people I met reminded me a lot of Mr. Mubarak.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
Aside from the Lampard fiasco, I'm fine with CFG. I'd like them to be making more progress in getting going on the stadium; but for all we know they might be. As essentially an expansion team build without an nasl foundation, we're doing about what you can honestly expect. The team will get better, the english/european players seem to prefer the larger cities to play in, so our DP's will always be quality.

Reactions: S1ARK5