"nycfc Are Trying To Buy Championships"

jaycrewz

Registered
Mar 2, 2015
The excuses are rolling in from already from haters around the league. I got into a big argument with an RBNY fan a couple days ago over that statement. Some people are really butthurt over the roster we have now, especially RBNY fans. But they really seem to have blinders on regarding their own team, and really cannot stand the idea of a true NYC team doing well.

They are owned by Red Bull, which had revenue of 5.110 billion Euros in 2014. Of course Red Bull won't be as rich as City Football Group, but its stupid to pretend as if RBNY never had cash on hand to bring in many good players. Do they forget that at one time they had Cahill, Wright-Phillips, and Henry all on the same team? Cahill and Henry have been great for club and country...and we know how world class Henry was in his prime.

Nevermind the fact that Red Bull owns 5 football teams, as well as teams in other sports. And lets not forget the huge marketing arm of Red Bull, along with all the racing and extreme sports events they run and/or sponsor. Whats stopping them from partnering up properly with their sister clubs (or any other club) and bring in young talent? Whats stopping them from structuring deals for more legendary DPs, the way NYC has and LA is still doing?

Where were all their complaints when Chivas USA was the smaller sister club to a club in Mexico that could funnel in money and talent? Simply put, they simply want NYCFC to suck, and not use their resources to succeed.

Its been a long time since Ive truly hated a rival fanbase. But I seriously cannot stand RBNY fans. They are very ignorant about their ownership, roots (or lack thereof), inner workings of world football and culture. Maybe this is why they could never understand why people flocked to NYCFC and never RBNY.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that RBNY fan isn't a Yankees fan since we've been hearing that for years. If you have an advantage you use it.

as long as that money is used wisely and not just on veterans to put asses in the seats/feet in the supporters section, any ownership group worth their salt should be putting revenue/resources into their team(s) to field a prospective winner. I don't philosophically agree with signing older big name players in a teams 1st year of existence, but I admit it is exciting. Also, its not as if 25-30 yo stars in Europe are coming to MLS in droves (Gio wasn't exactly a star in Italy) with the current level of play/economic format, so I get it. Hopefully supporters don't start jumping off the band wagon if this pirlo-villa-lamps triumvirate isn't successful at leading the team into the final 12. It can happen. I sincerely hope it doesn't, but nothing is guaranteed. Combined record of remaining schedule is 79 51 70, so over .500.

Apparently we are the only team in the league that doesn't follow salary cap and restrictions that MLS has in place.
Come one, every team operates under the same rules. Wether a certain team wants to spend all the money it is allowed to is up to them.
Some owners are happy with a profit and decide the cut themselves short and stay a mid/lower level team that makes money in this league.

I'm guessing that RBNY fan isn't a Yankees fan since we've been hearing that for years. If you have an advantage you use it.
I dunno, we didnt talk baseball at all. But it is my experience that RBNY fans are Yankees fans. Because usually Mets fans are concentrated in NYC. And its always been my understanding that much of Red Bulls fan base is suburban...and from living in the burbs I can tell you its definitely Yankee country.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
I dunno, we didnt talk baseball at all. But it is my experience that RBNY fans are Yankees fans. Because usually Mets fans are concentrated in NYC. And its always been my understanding that much of Red Bulls fan base is suburban...and from living in the burbs I can tell you its definitely Yankee country.
My experience is Jersey/LI folks support the Mets/Jets. NYC residents tend to Yankees/Giants. NY/CT burbs probably tilt the same way as the city, but not by as wide of a margin.

Just anecdotal from my experience.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I was unaware that spending money was against the rules of the league? :rolleyes:

My response to anyone who accuses NYCFC of buying championships will be: Yes we are and its amazing to have an ownership group so committed to the team. This is how soccer works all over the world, the best teams are the ones with the biggest pay rolls: Real Madrid, PSG, Barca, Bayern, Chelsea, MFCF, Man U, Juve.... ect. The best owners invest the money they are making off the team back into the team and in some lucky cases they chip in more of their own as well. What about NYCFC buying championships is an insult or something to argue with people over?

How ironic.

Surf around the internet and most fans of the Jersey Boys are pissed off Red Bull aren't spending money on the team.

What a skitzo fanbase.

We're not buying championships. We're buying players to win championships, like any team does. It's called a roster.

Its the essentially same thing. You and I say buying players. Grumpy fan of cheap team X gets jealous puts a negative spin on it and calls it buying championships. They are just taking out the middle part:

Us: Money = better players = championships
Them: Money = championships

Same thing and in the end who cares?

Its funny, because before they didn't really care all that much I dont think. But this argument seems to be coming out a lot more lately from NJ since they've earned 7 points since the middle of May whereas we've earned 14 over the same stretch.

Haters-gonna-hate.gif

I think ownership is striking a nice balance of building a club, while understanding that you need name players to generate excitement among the fans, who might not come out to a game if they weren't going to see Villa, or Lampard and Pirlo. If you had a roster of marginal players, you would probably not be very successful or last long as a franchise in NY

I think ownership is striking a nice balance of building a club, while understanding that you need name players to generate excitement among the fans, who might not come out to a game if they weren't going to see Villa, or Lampard and Pirlo. If you had a roster of marginal players, you would probably not be very successful or last long as a franchise in NY
And yet my NY Mets refuse to spend money on a decent batting lineup. We are filled with marginal players and somehow exist in NY.

It hurts brah.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
I'm with you on the Mets. Love em can't explain em. But they brought in "big" names before the Wilpons went cheap, and I'd rather hold on to our pitching then trade for someone right now. I read somewhere today that they would have to go 15 games over 500 from here on out to get to 89 wins, and that's not happening.