"nycfc Are Trying To Buy Championships"

My experience is Jersey/LI folks support the Mets/Jets. NYC residents tend to Yankees/Giants. NY/CT burbs probably tilt the same way as the city, but not by as wide of a margin.

Just anecdotal from my experience.

CT is odd because you have the Boston/New England fans mixed in. New Haven areas probably goes Yankees, Giants first Red Sox/Pats second and Mets/Jets distant third.

I'm with you on the Mets. Love em can't explain em. But they brought in "big" names before the Wilpons went cheap, and I'd rather hold on to our pitching then trade for someone right now. I read somewhere today that they would have to go 15 games over 500 from here on out to get to 89 wins, and that's not happening.
Not to derail further, but I had to respond.

Youre so right about the Mets bringing in big names. Things just never work out. Beltran has a bad first year, but then become the All Star he's supposed to be, and along with Reyes, Wright, and Delgado we almost made the World Series.

Go back to earlier in that decade...the Mets had Hall of Famer Robbie Alomar...but he stunk when he got here. We had Mo Vaughn who used to be a 35HR 110 RBI guy...but he stunk coming off an injury. We had Jeromy Burnitz who always seemed to be a lock for 30HR 100 RBI in Milwaukee. He came to the Mets and stunk...but hit those amazing prime numbers again once he left to go out west. And need I say anything about Jason Bay or whats become of David Wright?

The Mets just have terrible luck...and possibly bad scouting to explain them bringing in big names over the years who end up busts. Meanwhile the Yankees bring in old Raul Ibanez who was super clutch in his time here...and guys like Johnny Damon and Nick Swisher who get to NY and dont go bust. And we all see what going from the Bronx to Queens has done to Curtis Granderson lol (granted he's older now).

Lets hope NYCFC can be like the Yankees and have big names that dont fall apart when they get here. Thank god my soccer team isnt cheap like my baseball team is now.

It must suck when your ownership no longer wants to invest in you, doesn't care about what your fan base thinks and fires one of their best coaches and players ever, you have the ugliest jerseys I have ever seen, never won an mls cup in 20 years, made countless stupid decisions, including selling the most promising player to ever come out of your academy for fucking HEATH PEARCE.

Ill take buying a fucking championship, instead of living a nightmare of ineptitude that is managed by an organization that doesn't give a fuck about you or your fan base.

And Red bull has no right about talking about us playing in a baseball stadium. It took them how mother fucking long to get out of Giant stadium?

Everyone needs to fuck off, and get ready for the money shot when we win mls cup.

Anyways, thats my two cents. Which is two cents more than red bull is willing to invest in their team and fan base.

It must suck when your ownership no longer wants to invest in you, doesn't care about what your fan base thinks and fires one of their best coaches and players ever, you have the ugliest jerseys I have ever seen, never won an mls cup in 20 years, made countless stupid decisions, including selling the most promising player to ever come out of your academy for fucking HEATH PEARCE.

I always assumed agudelo and Jozy came out of the red bull academy. Is that incorrect?

This is the same in England. MCFC get it all the time. "Where we're you when you were shit" is the chant from the away fans. "Wee were here when we were shit" we reply! Because we have always been here. Even when we went freefall and spiralled out of the premier league, division 1 and into division 2. Our fans stood by the team because supporting city was/is not about who you buy or what you win, it is about SUPPORTING CITY. Typical city is what we love. (Trophy a are good though!)
Opposition fans hate the fact we have money. But let's say west ham go out and spend £30 million on a few players. This is ok, because realistically they are never gonna win the league. They just aspire to finish as high as they can. Utd, can spend £100 million or more. This is ok because they are trying to get back to old ways of winning the league. If City go out and spend £100-£150 million then we are buying success. They can't handle the fact that little city have this financial power. Media, fans, managers they don't like it but they all do it to there own level. Get used to it NYCFC, it's what becoming part of the most ambitious and richest football group does for you. Take it in, laugh at all the abuse and always enjoy the quality that your club provides to you. There will be ups and downs, but never forget your club, right from the first player, to the last. These guys are only jealous because their children will grow up supporting YOUR team, instead of theirs! Haha.

Youre so right about the Mets bringing in big names. Things just never work out.
Jeff Francoeur. I rest my case, your honor.

But going further back, and definitely even worse, here's a guy we had and traded away:

1969-Topps-Baseball-Nolan-Ryan-209x300.jpg

Reactions: jaycrewz
There's nothing wrong with buy championships, but history has shown that it doesn't matter how much you spend, it doesn't guarantee anything. This notion that building a team only through youth and development is beyond overrated. You have to have a good balance between the two.

The folks hating on us or fans of teams who suck and don't spend any money on quality players. They'd sign up for what we've been doing in a heartbeat.

As an American City fan I can tell you it used to be if a I met a Brit who wasn't a United supporter and started talking football they'd first do a double take to make sure you said City not United and then you'd get a level of instant respect for not being a glory hunter. Now it's "You must have started supporting them last year."