Chicago (Home) - Postmatch

Well, when the whistle blew is definitely important as if Nikolic played the ball with his hand before the whistle blew, then he is intentionally batting it into the goal and that has to be a card. I don't see what the goal review has to do with anything.
The goal review is everything. If he’s offside before the kick, which he was, then the whistle isn’t even taken in to consideration since the offsides came first and that’s called from the replay. With the play called back per the offsides, again, which it was, then handling the ball after the fact has zero bearing whether intentional or not.

If there was no offsides, he’s carded, but knowing the chain of events, and yet calling for a card on that play is a fundamental misinterpretation of the rules.

The goal review is everything. If he’s offside before the kick, which he was, then the whistle isn’t even taken in to consideration since the offsides came first and that’s called from the replay. With the play called back per the offsides, again, which it was, then handling the ball after the fact has zero bearing whether intentional or not.

If there was no offsides, he’s carded, but knowing the chain of events, and yet calling for a card on that play is a fundamental misinterpretation of the rules.
Where in the rules does it say that a card cannot be handed out for something that happened after another infraction?

It was a clear handling of the ball and IMO, clearly intentional. He had no reason for his hands to be there except to knock the ball into the net. This handling of the ball occurred before the linesman's flag went up so while the offsides had already occurred, it had not yet been known.

Where in the rules does it say that a card cannot be handed out for something that happened after another infraction?

It was a clear handling of the ball and IMO, clearly intentional. He had no reason for his hands to be there except to knock the ball into the net. This handling of the ball occurred before the linesman's flag went up so while the offsides had already occurred, it had not yet been known.
Big deal if it was intentional, he was offside and it was coming back. Lots of stuff goes on after a play is over and isn’t carded. It’s called the ref controlling a match. Players kick the ball away all the time or toss it over the head of the other team as they scurry back, and the ref doesn’t nitpick and card. Refs discuss issues with players as warnings before brandishing the card for non-violent infractions.

I’ll go ahead and throw this one out there, but I hope you’ve never jaywalked in NYC, even if no traffic is coming, because it’d be intentional and illegal, and there’s no reason not to wait for the signal in the crosswalk.

Did you watch the game on Sunday?
Yeah, and the only reason Lewis was carded was because the ref carded the DC player for bombing the ball to midfield, and precedent was set. Any other time and Lewis walks with no card. Same as Taty not getting a card this past match for refusing to move back 10yrds when chicago got the free kick at midfield - rule of law says he gets a card, but ref used judgement not to since Chicago played the kick laterally rather than forward.

I've always wondered why in basketball defenders don't smother a player on a continuation. As long as it isn't violent, whats the downside?

I've always wondered why in basketball defenders don't smother a player on a continuation. As long as it isn't violent, whats the downside?

I actually see players do that, but usually things are happening so fast it can be hard to pull off.

In soccer, I think the rule on a card is that once the play is dead, you can get a card for some kind of dangerous or violent conduct - something that would earn a Yellow or a Red on its own. But, you can't get a card for something that was only a simple foul but might have earned one for another reason - e.g. DOGSO, handling the ball into the goal, persistent infringement, breaking up a promising attack, etc.