MOTM?

• McNamara

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Lampard

Votes: 39 86.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Counterfactual hypothetical:

Villa plays Saturday, but just about everything else goes exactly was it was, or as near as can be. Bottom line: it's minute 84, we're winning 4-0, and Harrison earns a PK. Villa is scoreless and Lampard is sitting on his brace. Who takes the penalty kick? Does your answer change if Villa has one goal, presumably the Taylor one? My guess is Villa let's Frank take it regardless, but my confidence in that is only moderate.

Frank takes it 10 out of 10 times. If you are up 4 goals that late (the game is essentially over) and a player is sitting on 2 goals, you give it to that player to get his hat trick. Now if Villa and Frank are both with 2 goals at that moment...then it gets complicated. Most likely Villa takes it then as he's the leading scorer.

Reactions: Ulrich
Counterfactual hypothetical:

Villa plays Saturday, but just about everything else goes exactly was it was, or as near as can be. Bottom line: it's minute 84, we're winning 4-0, and Harrison earns a PK. Villa is scoreless and Lampard is sitting on his brace. Who takes the penalty kick? Does your answer change if Villa has one goal, presumably the Taylor one? My guess is Villa let's Frank take it regardless, but my confidence in that is only moderate.
The person in position to get the Hat Trick always is given the honor/responsibility... unless of course the game is on the line and then it's the best shooter.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Yup, Pirlo dummies the ball and freezes the defense which allows that split second for the cross to get off successfully. Reminds me of an earlier game where Pirlo occupied the defense and laid it off to Tommy Mac, giving him the space to set and hit a screamer from outside the box. Beautiful to watch the Maestro work.

Sounds like Portland

Reactions: Paul
Just rewatched the highlights. Once again, for anyone who doubts what Pirlo brings, go take a look at our first goal. Pirlo gets no assist, but I don't think there are 3 other players in MLS who would have dummied that pass through to Martinez. It was pure unsung brilliance.

Yup, Pirlo dummies the ball and freezes the defense which allows that split second for the cross to get off successfully. Reminds me of an earlier game where Pirlo occupied the defense and laid it off to Tommy Mac, giving him the space to set and hit a screamer from outside the box. Beautiful to watch the Maestro work.

Absolutely correct. I was going to make a post about that goal, but you guys beat me to it.

Such great teamwork. It took 5 guys doing the right thing to put it in, and they made it look easy. Iraola with a nice pass. Pirlo with the really smart dummy - at first I wondered what he was doing. Who dummies a ball when the player isn't in the space yet? Pirlo, that's who. Then a nice cross from Martinez, and a flick on from TMac's head. Finally, Frank makes a Frank run - somehow knowing the ball was going to end up there. Wonderful.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Just rewatched the highlights. Once again, for anyone who doubts what Pirlo brings, go take a look at our first goal. Pirlo gets no assist, but I don't think there are 3 other players in MLS who would have dummied that pass through to Martinez. It was pure unsung brilliance.
I wouldn't say unsung since MLS tweeted a replay of it and said, "Pirlo has eyes in the back of his head." But we haven't credited it enough.

All of that is prologue, though. Who are the three? I know one I'd bank on doing it, but I have a hard time figuring out who the other 2 are. Nope - just got another one. So I have two in mind. I want to know your 3 to compare. Don't click the spoiler until you post. This is a fun game.

1. Mauro Diaz
2. Robbie Keane
3. Not sure, maybe Nagbe...this is the one i have to think about. eta: Marco Pappa might be that sort of sneaky, actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootyLovin
I wouldn't say unsung since MLS tweeted a replay of it and said, "Pirlo has eyes in the back of his head." But we haven't credited it enough.

All of that is prologue, though. Who are the three? I know one I'd bank on doing it, but I have a hard time figuring out who the other 2 are. Nope - just got another one. So I have two in mind. I want to know your 3 to compare. Don't click the spoiler until you post. This is a fun game.

1. Mauro Diaz
2. Robbie Keane
3. Not sure, maybe Nagbe...this is the one i have to think about.
Technically FootyLovin FootyLovin said he didn't think there were 3, so if you found 2 that's his limit.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan

1. Mauro Diaz
2. Robbie Keane
3. Not sure, maybe Nagbe...this is the one i have to think about. eta: Marco Pappa might be that sort of sneaky, actually.
This:
Technically FootyLovin FootyLovin said he didn't think there were 3, so if you found 2 that's his limit.
I'm impressed you came up with two. But I'd still bet money that neither of them have the chutzpah to run right past that ball.

And apparently I need to get on that newfangled tweeter thing people keep talking about.

1. Mauro Diaz
2. Robbie Keane
I think Dempsey is a guy I could see doing it. And haven't seen a whole ton of him yet, but the creative way I saw Lodeiro play for Seattle as well I could see him dummying it.

I think Dempsey is a guy I could see doing it. And haven't seen a whole ton of him yet, but the creative way I saw Lodeiro play for Seattle as well I could see him dummying it.
Lodeiro, yes. Deuce, I've seen him Rob teammates in the box. He might think of it. But then he'd think, nah, I'll take it down on my right, nutmeg a couple of guys and slot it home.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC and Paul
No doubt, Saunders incompetence was highlighted. He's really, really, really bad. And I am not exaggerating. He's literally the worst keeper in the league by a long shot.

As for the rest of the team, what a fucking game. I love every one of you. It was beautiful. TMac was himself around the box.

BAJ was a badass. And mumsy was there to see it.

Taylor did a great job.

And FF was FF. How in the fuck does someone score statistically unlikely goals for 15 years? It's shocking, and I'm glad he's doing it for us these days. Fucker still should have been here before, but maybe he at least helped us ditch Kreis (see? I can be positive).

All around the most awesome time I've had at the stadium. Just fucking incredible.

And Chanot looks to be the real deal, but don't shit on Mena. Boy had some ballsy tackles in dangerous spots. He's clinical one on one.

I cant stress enough that you and I have been pounding the Saunders sucks drum for over a year. He brings nothing and I mean nothing to the table. Did you see him diving for balls that were not even close. And he looks so awkward and clumsy doing it too. I am sure he is a nice guy and the club likes him a lot, and I can picture him being part of the cosching staff as a GK coach in the near future or with another club. However, he is fucking awful. One of the worst keepers I have ever seen in MLS. Up there with Bouna time. If you are not familiar with Bouna time, ask a long time redbull fan.

I fear the Saunders will cost us big time in the playoffs.

I cant stress enough that you and I have been pounding the Saunders sucks drum for over a year. He brings nothing and I mean nothing to the table. Did you see him diving for balls that were not even close. And he looks so awkward and clumsy doing it too. I am sure he is a nice guy and the club likes him a lot, and I can picture him being part of the cosching staff as a GK coach in the near future or with another club. However, he is fucking awful. One of the worst keepers I have ever seen in MLS. Up there with Bouna time. If you are not familiar with Bouna time, ask a long time redbull fan.

I fear the Saunders will cost us big time in the playoffs.

Giving him a raise and extending his contract was a fuck of a move by Reyna.