2016 Yellow Card Accumulation (updated October 12)

Updated for Orlando game. Saunders was not credited with a yellow in box score, although I could swear I saw him get one for time wasting.

Villa is now on 3 yellows, so he really has to watch himself.
I'd swear I also saw the ref pull a card and show it to Saunders. Maybe he was just motioning for him to speed it up, but it sure looked like the fingers went to the pocket.

Reactions: RockShrimp
Updated for Orlando game. Saunders was not credited with a yellow in box score, although I could swear I saw him get one for time wasting.

Villa is now on 3 yellows, so he really has to watch himself.
I can confirm the ref showed the card to Saunders. Unless he was giving it to the supporters section, because Saunders was the only player in front of him when he pulled it out.

This is the 2nd time I can remember we all saw Saunders get a yellow and it wasn't officially recorded. Is there a league wide conspiracy to keep him as the starting keeper for our team???

Now I'm extra curious to see what happens when Saunders doesn't start. Could be end of the world ramifications, or the collapse of the banking system (or at least the MLS cap)... What are they trying to prevent?

This is the 2nd time I can remember we all saw Saunders get a yellow and it wasn't officially recorded. Is there a league wide conspiracy to keep him as the starting keeper for our team???

Now I'm extra curious to see what happens when Saunders doesn't start. Could be end of the world ramifications, or the collapse of the banking system (or at least the MLS cap)... What are they trying to prevent?
Playing Saunders every game is the NYCFC version of typing 4 8 15 16 23 42.

Last edited:
Maybe the reason they don't remove the pitcher's mound to widen the pitch is that it covers a hatch!
The hatch part is fine, it's just that they can't guarantee the match will be finished before the 108 minutes is up.

Reactions: mgarbowski and adam
The hatch part is fine, it's just that they can't guarantee the match will be finished before the 108 minutes is up.
So you're saying there's an apple IIe and green screen VGA set up under the field?

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
So you're saying there's an apple IIe and green screen VGA set up under the field?
All I'm saying is there was a perfectly fine ballpark there, and then without any explanation they rebuilt it across the street. And now years later nobody asks why any longer, except to say everything's fine but just don't move the mound. I think it's time we had a look under that mound, don't you? Go get the flashlights, I'll wait here.

I understand Hernandez will be suspended next game due to his red card (two yellows) last match, do those 2 yellows end up adding on to his total for the season?
I was wondering about that too. I couldn't find an answer. It would be odd for a red based on 2 yellows to have a more negative effect than a straight red.

Reactions: adam
I couldn't find a solid explanation, but from looking at his and Collin's yellow card numbers, it looks like you get dinged for one additional yellow card, but not for two.
I would *assume* that each yellow card counts, so a player on 4 at the start of a game, that gets two in the current game essentially has 6. The 5th makes him sit out the next match, the double yellow(red) sits him out an additional game, and he's then on 6 only 2 away from the next missed game at 8. It may seem like double jeopardy, but if they don't factor it that way, then a player might as well just take the extra yellow in the 89th minute, and that would be a horrible loophole to allow.

I would *assume* that each yellow card counts, so a player on 4 at the start of a game, that gets two in the current game essentially has 6. The 5th makes him sit out the next match, the double yellow(red) sits him out an additional game, and he's then on 6 only 2 away from the next missed game at 8. It may seem like double jeopardy, but if they don't factor it that way, then a player might as well just take the extra yellow in the 89th minute, and that would be a horrible loophole to allow.
But your scenario also means a player in that position might as well just pound the guy and take a red instead of a yellow.