Columbus 1st Leg ECS - Postmatch

You confident “slippery hands” Johnson is going to get a clean sheet on Sunday? No?

Ok, you just signed up for four goals to go into extra time. Stick a fork in the team. Done.

When did he start to suck? He was so good for most of the season decided to lose it at the exact wrong time end of regular season/post season....

So this series is effectively over on two inexcusable brain farts: 1) Johnson’s “i’ll Just push this into the net” of a shot that Meram shot RIGHT AT HIM and 2) the entire defense making Afful look like Ghanaian Messi.

Inexcusable for a playoff team and the reason the team will be going home. Over and over and over again these stupid mistakes have happened and cost points.

I'm not going to get over this for a while...

For the first 15-20 moments were we playing fine. Columbus was giving us possession and they were defending with 9 or 10 outfield players behind the ball. That was their game plan. This was their 2nd worst possession of the season. They are a team that likes possession and builds out of the back, but went for the counterattack style and they played it perfectly.

The lone mistake during this timeframe came from Johnson on the first goal which he should do better on. That being said, it wasn't his worst mistake on the night. That third goal is unforgivable and absolutely terrible. This was his worst performance in an NYCFC jersey and at the worst time for it to happen. It's not a switch to Johansen moment, but damn, he fucked up tonight.

The second goal is a mistake by Ring. He let the ball up the midfield, got beat, and Columbus scored. He played really well though in the first 15-20 minutes. He made some great tackles and winning duels.

But it was Alexander Callens who absolutely fucked us. There is absolutely no reason for him to raise his elbow on that play. It's 100 percent on him and him alone. Everyone in the building and watching at home knows that there is video review. You can't get away with that shit. While I don't think there was much contact, there was certainly intent and it's a red card. I don't need Simon Borg to yell at me tomorrow that it's a red card.

But Vieira continued to attack rather than bunker down and keep it 1-0 because we're an attacking team and not a park the bus team.

Columbus' fourth goal. I don't even know man. Awful by us. Amazing by Afful.

Anyone want to provide suggestion for a better way to spend $15K per season? I'm thinking cocaine and hookers...

There's an actual market for him though. I'd rather sell him than waste it.

For us to profit off of him, we would need to sell him for more than his salary. I know that wasn't your point, but there is no reason to sell him. Give him away

Take Vasquez’s salary and discount it 30% and that is what Maxi is worth. Maybe $500-$700K tops. He’s a TAM player, not a DP. And that’s the problem.

Maxi's qualities do not match the qualities required of a true #10. Discount his salary to 250-300K and play him in a #8 role with Ring at the #6 and a true #10 that can create goal scoring chances and score goals. His role in the #8 role would be to get possession and move it forward quickly to players that can make a real impact on the scoreline and game overall. We don't need a player playing in the #10 role that can't do the things we need them to do. It's just a force. We need a player that can dribble at the defense and make quality decision making in the final third dishing off assists or scoring goals. No reason why our #10 shouldn't hit 10 goals and 10 assists with Villa playing forward and consistently scoring 20+ goals. Especially given the fact that we are using that position as a DP contract.

We're also probably playing the wrong formation

Should be playing a 4-4-2 with Ring/Maxi in the middle.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Vieira is always the same in postgame press conference whether it's a 2-0 win at Red Bulls or this shitshow. A little humor, asking the reporters questions, never blaming a single player. It's really annoying.

I want a postgame press conference where the manager is honest, real, and will be bold. Petke-esque.

Last edited:
Was a dive, Meran looked for the contact off the ball. But anyhow, not watching MLS anymore. Just too much BS, waste of time, and it doesnt help the national team. Minor league sport.

Reactions: Kjbert
Between the USMNT and NYCFC...
giphy.gif

Was a dive, Meran looked for the contact off the ball. But anyhow, not watching MLS anymore. Just too much BS, waste of time, and it doesnt help the national team. Minor league sport.
Look at Meram's eyes. We watched the WHOLE SEASON just to see some guy dive into contact into a corner kick. SUCH A RIPOFF! I thought MLS would get good, ITS GOING TO SUCK FOR A VERY, VERY, VERY LOOOOOONG TIME. OUT.

Reactions: Kjbert
Look at Meram's eyes. We watched the WHOLE SEASON just to see some guy dive into contact into a corner kick. SUCH A RIPOFF! I thought MLS would get good, ITS GOING TO SUCK FOR A VERY, VERY, VERY LOOOOOONG TIME. OUT.
That’s a dive. From that replay, Meram is already contorting his body before the contact. Shameful the Ref fell for it.