D.C. (Home) - Postmatch

Seems to me like it's a mix of some people being played out of position. The team lacked cohesion, which is slightly worrying after having all preseason to sharpen your tools. I don't like Maxi playing so high up the pitch, as he was often times further up than the wingers, with no one to pass to. I think he is better when he receive the ball further back in the buildup and spread the ball, not running into Mitri/Taty at the top of the opponent's box. Aside from Mitri, none of Taty, ITS, Medina, or Lewis look to be wingers that inspire fear in defenders. Which sucks, because at times last year 3/4 had sequences of games where they looked incredibly threatening going forward. Now, they can't even complete a pass to a fellow winger. The lack of a 9 is killing us, but aside from Ring and Mitri strikes, we didn't have threatening possession or chances.

Team looks confused and has no idea what Dome wants them to do. Hell, even we don't know what Dome wants to do. Medina and ITS are shells of their former selves, Taty has maintained decent looks with an inability to find a finishing touch, and Lewis didn't plunder DC's defense coming off the bench. Dome has a ton of able wingers, but he has taken away their strengths while trying to get them to do something else.

Only good things I saw yesterday were the Ring/Sands pivot and Mitri looking like a decent weapon to pull something out of his ass. Easy to see the team still needs some time together, but I'm not sure if more time will be the answer. I know it's only been two games, but Dome's tactics and management have me concerned for our near future.

Maxi shouldn't be in the box as often. Medina sucked, but I honestly don't think it's him being terrible as much as it is not knowing or being able to be a winger in Dome's system. Same for ITS.

I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Maxi floating a little further back and having ITS alone up top as a striker. Put Mitri on the left and one of Lewis/Medina/Taty on the right. Too many bodies in the box vs. DC looked to hurt more than help.

Seems to me like it's a mix of some people being played out of position. The team lacked cohesion, which is slightly worrying after having all preseason to sharpen your tools. I don't like Maxi playing so high up the pitch, as he was often times further up than the wingers, with no one to pass to. I think he is better when he receive the ball further back in the buildup and spread the ball, not running into Mitri/Taty at the top of the opponent's box. Aside from Mitri, none of Taty, ITS, Medina, or Lewis look to be wingers that inspire fear in defenders. Which sucks, because at times last year 3/4 had sequences of games where they looked incredibly threatening going forward. Now, they can't even complete a pass to a fellow winger. The lack of a 9 is killing us, but aside from Ring and Mitri strikes, we didn't have threatening possession or chances.

Team looks confused and has no idea what Dome wants them to do. Hell, even we don't know what Dome wants to do. Medina and ITS are shells of their former selves, Taty has maintained decent looks with an inability to find a finishing touch, and Lewis didn't plunder DC's defense coming off the bench. Dome has a ton of able wingers, but he has taken away their strengths while trying to get them to do something else.

Only good things I saw yesterday were the Ring/Sands pivot and Mitri looking like a decent weapon to pull something out of his ass. Easy to see the team still needs some time together, but I'm not sure if more time will be the answer. I know it's only been two games, but Dome's tactics and management have me concerned for our near future.

Maxi shouldn't be in the box as often. Medina sucked, but I honestly don't think it's him being terrible as much as it is not knowing or being able to be a winger in Dome's system. Same for ITS.

I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Maxi floating a little further back and having ITS alone up top as a striker. Put Mitri on the left and one of Lewis/Medina/Taty on the right. Too many bodies in the box vs. DC looked to hurt more than help.
Exactly my feelings, u nailed it.

It was a horrible sign yesterday when Maxi was playing between the CBs and Mitrita would drop back to the CDM area to find the ball. That’s a clusterfck of positioning for those two players.

I actually want to give Dome the benefit of the doubt on the CF question.

But I don’t know that I can considering he’s said he wants to play a fluid front 4

Reactions: Christopher Jee
By the way, there was one really brilliant play that deserves praise. In the 2nd half, Maxi latched onto a loose ball on the right side just past midfield. Without looking up, he sent a long, crossing, no look ball to the left side that hit Mitritu in stride at the corner of the box. It was a brilliant pass that led to a good chance.

You can see it about the 1 minute mark below, but it really doesn't do the pass justice.

It just feels like our offense is very one-dimensional. Have Mitrita take guys on 1-on-1, or send aimless crosses into the box that always find a defender's head. Where's the creativity we used to be known for?

And it is worth mentioning the turf. I am a big skeptic that our field's size and quality has much impact on games, but yesterday is a big exception. The area of temporary grass over the infield was terrible, and it played completely differently than the rest of the pitch. As a result, we really had a hard time playing out of the back on that side to start the game. This was a factor in a lot of our purposeless possession and even caused some turnovers that created chances for DCU. It was shambolic. And, I suspect it was a strategy for DCU, who appeared to choose to defend the supporter side goal to start the game. DC had warmed up on the side with the bad sod and probably knew of the issue. As a result, they pressed us hard and were inviting passes to the left - bad - side of the pitch. After halftime, DC didn't even try to build from the back - choosing to kick it long and avoid the problems.
I'm part way with you, but not as much as I used to be. I thought the field generally in 2017 was much improved over the first 2 years, and I thought they figured something out. Last year it started great, and I repeatedly said that criticism were outdated and overdone. But then last year the quality deteriorated significantly as the year progressed. It's always a problem, but last year it caused me to walk back my confidence in the turf. Starting out this poorly in 2019 does not add any confidence levels.

Reactions: Jock and Kjbert
It just feels like our offense is very one-dimensional. Have Mitrita take guys on 1-on-1, or send aimless crosses into the box that always find a defender's head. Where's the creativity we used to be known for?
While momentarily exciting, I pray Mitrita doesn’t start attempting 1v4 breaks where he tries to dribble through a pack of defenders. It was amazing he was able to cove about 25m on his own, but that’s a recipe for disaster and if he tries it too often the defenders will take axe-swinging hacks at his ankles.

And it goes back to what FredMertz said earlier, while very skilled, Mitrita thinks he’s better than he really is.

Reactions: hatt91
While momentarily exciting, I pray Mitrita doesn’t start attempting 1v4 breaks where he tries to dribble through a pack of defenders. It was amazing he was able to cove about 25m on his own, but that’s a recipe for disaster and if he tries it too often the defenders will take axe-swinging hacks at his ankles.

And it goes back to what FredMertz said earlier, while very skilled, Mitrita thinks he’s better than he really is.
how do we really know hes not as good as he thinks hes is? i agree he tried to do a lot but im not sure there were much better options when he was taking on defenders 1 v 1. I like a player who is confident and not second guessing themselves. As long as hes not intentionally missing wide open passes to be selfish im cool with him making attempts to take on defenders.

Agree 100%. I will add as a huge Taty fan, he’s like a 1990s winger in the sense that he’s not really built for goal scoring. He’s more of a work the attack forward and cross/pass in for someone else to score. He should not be playing as a forward considering his entire skill set is useless for him there lol

how do we really know hes not as good as he thinks hes is? i agree he tried to do a lot but im not sure there were much better options when he was taking on defenders 1 v 1. I like a player who is confident and not second guessing themselves. As long as hes not intentionally missing wide open passes to be selfish im cool with him making attempts to take on defenders.
I have no issue with him going 1v1, but he tried multiple times to go 1v2, 1v3, and once 1v4. That’s foolhardy for even the best players. And I don’t have an issue with him attempting to beat his marker, because he’s got nimble feet, but it struck me that as the game wore on and he saw the lack of service he was getting, that he was deciding to freelance every chance he had. That felt like Villa from year 1, and when Mitrita would lose the ball and not track, it really felt like Villa and year 1.

I fear the long this team runs headless with the tactics, the more ingrained Mitrita will become to do everything himself. It’ll produce some stunner goals and a lot of “why didn’t he pass to the open guy” type situations.

I have no issue with him going 1v1, but he tried multiple times to go 1v2, 1v3, and once 1v4. That’s foolhardy for even the best players. And I don’t have an issue with him attempting to beat his marker, because he’s got nimble feet, but it struck me that as the game wore on and he saw the lack of service he was getting, that he was deciding to freelance every chance he had. That felt like Villa from year 1, and when Mitrita would lose the ball and not track, it really felt like Villa and year 1.

I fear the long this team runs headless with the tactics, the more ingrained Mitrita will become to do everything himself. It’ll produce some stunner goals and a lot of “why didn’t he pass to the open guy” type situations.
While i agree. its still nice to have a player who isnt scared to take on defenders as well as someone who isnt scared to shoot. Thats something weve been quite lacking for a while.

On top of that, while i was really critical of him while he was here, I think if we still had Berget it would have really helped us out this year. He wasnt great on the ball but he opened up a ton of space with his runs which i think a player like Mitri could capitalize on. Also, he wasnt the best at hold up play but he was decent enough.