Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I notice just about every MLS team has drums. Yes, I know a lot of other clubs around the world do as well.

Personally I can't stand it.
I think it detracts from the atmosphere and natural noise of the crowd.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
I don't mind them. I can't recall exactly what year it was, but one season a group of Brazilian fans set up some steel drums behind the west end goal at Giants Stadium during Cosmos games.

The steel drums and the samba dancing was outstanding.

Have you ever heard fans clapping during a concert or American Idol? Large groups of people have horrible rhythm. Nothing sets the pace better than having one or two guys that can keep a 4/4 rhythm for an extended period of time.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
I watch a lot of BPL and never hear drums so watching MLS the last two years that's been the only bummer.
It just sound unnatural and you don't hear the fans as well.

I say no drums. I think we should be like the Catalans, they clap and cheer when Barca recover the ball, have long spells of possession, and they gasp on close goal scoring chances. They really show a deep appreciation for beautiful soccer.

Reactions: Buckley
Can't even vote on this one.

I mean, drums are a product of soccer in the Americas. I think it makes sense for southern teams and western teams to have more influence from Central and South Americas.

I thought the Portland/Seattle atmosphere far surpassed anything I saw from the EPL but if you find drums obnoxious you may disagree.

That said, the Northeast identifies more with Europe. I feel naturally we probably shouldn't have drums but the atmosphere with drums is still great.

one drum thats it. we don't need a bunch of drums and horns and all this other nonsense like some or most mls teams have. this isn't central or south america lol

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
I like the chaos, personally. A Timbers match always sounds like a mashup of Central/South America and the standard crown noise/chanting from the UK. It's very American sounding and unique to games here. New York is a noisy, honking, shouting, music-filled place. No reason our games should try to replicate the traditional atmosphere of a northern European match. MLS has finally carved out something of a unique identity thanks to places like KC, Seattle, and Portland. It works and is a good model to follow for when we eventually get there.

Drums are common in Europe, just not in the U.K where songs used to be the main thing until it was replaced by moaning.. ;)

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
There is no standard This is NYC we will Booooooo you if you are not playing up to par and we will root for you when your in form. I love the Jets: J-E-T-S chant cause it's LOUD and unified! Drums will not be banged 8/4 it could just be used to start certain chants or for marches. Either way this isn't EPL, BBVA, L1 etc lets take everyone's mojo and get an accordion lol

There is no standard This is NYC we will Booooooo you if you are not playing up to par and we will root for you when your in form. I love the Jets: J-E-T-S chant cause it's LOUD and unified! Drums will not be banged 8/4 it could just be used to start certain chants or for marches. Either way this isn't EPL, BBVA, L1 etc lets take everyone's mojo and get an accordion lol
This is my biggest fear.

Reactions: Johnny
MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity what the boo!? It's apart of NY culture. We don't sugar coat how we feel. That being said I really don't see MCFC allowing NYC FC to have a bad team. Maybe a decent first year remember the first year will be crucial! RBNY will try and eat up the fans if NYcFC can't compete.

MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity what the boo!? It's apart of NY culture. We don't sugar coat how we feel. That being said I really don't see MCFC allowing NYC FC to have a bad team. Maybe a decent first year remember the first year will be crucial! RBNY will try and eat up the fans if NYcFC can't compete.
Part of NY culture to be an entitled idiot. We are supporters not customers, we don't deserve anything and if the team plays poorly we support them nonetheless. I am sure the Sons of Ben did not say "oh well it is part of Philly culture to beat up other fans during the game, we gotta do that too" and so to for us, there is no reason to adopt a completely moronic and counterproductive practice. You want the team to win? You want them to succeed at home? There is a 100x better chance of that happening if you are behind the team than if you boo them. The best part about the culture of soccer is that for the most part, booing is non-existent. Lets take the good from all our influences and cultures, not the bad.

Reactions: Johnny and Vito
Supporters are supporters but the stadium will have plenty of ordinary fans. There is being a dreamer and being realistic. We are customers if we stop buying/paying then the team can't succeed. Look at the Blue Birds when there owner changed their kit and shield to Red similar to Liverpool. Look at David Moyes. This is not a NYC practice it is a fan practice. That being said I don't expect boos until RBNY takes the path over. MCFC has hired quality American football people. They have plenty off exp and so do the Yankees.

Reactions: Andy
Supporters are supporters but the stadium will have plenty of ordinary fans. There is being a dreamer and being realistic. We are customers if we stop buying/paying then the team can't succeed. Look at the Blue Birds when there owner changed their kit and shield to Red similar to Liverpool. Look at David Moyes. This is not a NYC practice it is a fan practice. That being said I don't expect boos until RBNY takes the path over. MCFC has hired quality American football people. They have plenty off exp and so do the Yankees.
Supporters, fans, whatever you want to call it, our goal in attending games should be to create a positive environment, no matter what. If someone shows up to the game planning to boo if it goes wrong, he should stay home IMO. I don't want him there, and he can shove his ticket revenue up his ass.

Reactions: Johnny
Supporters, fans, whatever you want to call it, our goal in attending games should be to create a positive environment, no matter what. If someone shows up to the game planning to boo if it goes wrong, he should stay home IMO. I don't want him there, and he can shove his ticket revenue up his ass.

Those fans don't stand with supporters nor march. Either way MCFC looks to be building a team for the long haul but that revenue will help. So let's be positive and not put anything negative up peoples asses. :) ;)

Those fans don't stand with supporters nor march. Either way MCFC looks to be building a team for the long haul but that revenue will help. So let's be positive and not put anything negative up peoples asses. :) ;)
Hey, you were the one saying we should boo. That's some pretty solid negativity months before the first game. Just putting my view on that out there. I think most would agree with me on this.