EMPIRE CUP

I really don't see that being an obstacle. I think we would be able to communicate this idea to other SGs no problem. We don't need to be friends to do this, just buy a trophy and have someone keep standings.

They may not like the idea for other reasons, but because they hate us? I don't know. I think if there is a way to ramp up the rivalry and make it more meaningful and exciting for everyone, this is a way. They did it in the Northwest despite the rivalry. I don't think rivals in the US traditionally ignore the other side, they like conflict and argument and competition. In fact if there is a way to rub it in more that they are superior, they will jump to it

I don't know how the other SG's are, but if ESC and VA didn't want to be a part the 'Colonial Cup', then too bad for them. It will reflect poorly on them and fans outside the area will look at them as poor sportsman. However, I doubt it would be an issue.

How exactly is it organised? Do the SGs of the two clubs have to agree it? Somehow I don't see the New Jersey Walking Adverts being very excited about including us in anything. They seem pretty antipathetic to us - which, I guess, is how true rivalries should be. To stray back to the subject of Manchester City, for instance, you would never, but never, get City and United's fanbases to agree to a cup of this kind between them, because both sides would refuse to talk to each other in the first place. Neither would want to join something the other one started. But maybe American SGs are much more willing to co-operate?

US Rivals tend to be able to work on stuff like this. The most intense dislike is between Portland & Seattle and they still manage it. And frankly, most of the SGs want to raise their club to the profile of those two clubs and having a rival cup is in everyone's best interest. I can't imagine their dislike would prevent it from happening unless there are some really petty & small-minded leaders involved.

They may not like the idea for other reasons, but because they hate us? I don't know. I think if there is a way to ramp up the rivalry and make it more meaningful and exciting for everyone, this is a way. They did it in the Northwest despite the rivalry. I don't think rivals in the US traditionally ignore the other side, they like conflict and argument and competition. In fact if there is a way to rub it in more that they are superior, they will jump to it

My views on NYRB's fans may have been slightly skewed by some pretty bitter but undoubtedly hateful posts on twitter, which is my main source of information for other teams' fan opinions. In retrospect, the stuff I've read may be the extreme outlier rather than the most common opinion.

US Rivals tend to be able to work on stuff like this. The most intense dislike is between Portland & Seattle and they still manage it. And frankly, most of the SGs want to raise their club to the profile of those two clubs and having a rival cup is in everyone's best interest. I can't imagine their dislike would prevent it from happening unless there are some really petty & small-minded leaders involved.

Fair enough then. Out of interest, how seriously do the clubs themselves treat something which derives entirely from the fans? Do they present the cup on the pitch themselves at the end of the season, for example, or is it just a bauble which is passed between the supporters?

My views on NYRB's fans may have been slightly skewed by some pretty bitter but undoubtedly hateful posts on twitter, which is my main source of information for other teams' fan opinions. In retrospect, the stuff I've read may be the extreme outlier rather than the most common opinion.

Fair enough then. Out of interest, how seriously do the clubs themselves treat something which derives entirely from the fans? Do they present the cup on the pitch themselves at the end of the season, for example, or is it just a bauble which is passed between the supporters?

MLS tried to trademark the Cascadia Cup before the Supporters Groups revolted at the notion. And yeah, the clubs lift the trophy.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
Fair enough, that answered a few questions, thanks.

Also wow, Obafemi Martins. Now there's a blast from the past.

The only uncertainty I have is DC. I know they are in the same general region, but does 5 teams dilute the passion and rivalry a bit? Can you really maintain a hatred for 4 other teams? I think 3 is ideal, like in Cascadia, but once we go out of NY, you can't pick 1 of NE and Philly, so that makes 4. The real question is, does that go far enough or do we need DC?

The only uncertainty I have is DC. I know they are in the same general region, but does 5 teams dilute the passion and rivalry a bit? Can you really maintain a hatred for 4 other teams? I think 3 is ideal, like in Cascadia, but once we go out of NY, you can't pick 1 of NE and Philly, so that makes 4. The real question is, does that go far enough or do we need DC?
I think four is stretching it too. I'd say nix RBNY. You know that an FC/RB game would be a big supporters event on it's own. The Colonial Cup would just be a fun way to make otherwise uneventful games, eventful.

I think four is stretching it too. I'd say nix RBNY. You know that an FC/RB game would be a big supporters event on it's own. The Colonial Cup would just be a fun way to make otherwise uneventful games, eventful.
Gotta disagree with that. Our biggest rivals should be in the Cup, it makes derby games more exciting, even if one of us is not competitive.

I can tell you as a hockey fan, the Rangers-Islanders rivalry, as great as it was in the past, has completely fallen apart because the Islanders have sucked for the past 2 decades. So its not an automatic rivalry, and I would not exclude RBNY.

Gotta disagree with that. Our biggest rivals should be in the Cup, it makes derby games more exciting, even if one of us is not competitive.

I can tell you as a hockey fan, the Rangers-Islanders rivalry, as great as it was in the past, has completely fallen apart because the Islanders have sucked for the past 2 decades. So its not an automatic rivalry, and I would not exclude RBNY.
Fair enough.

Yeah. Actively excluding RBNY - as the closest rivals - would make the cup less about geographical rivalry and more about turning the cup into a convenient competition for us to organise. The Red Bulls fans may well resent being cut out of an expanded tournament with their own rivals, while Philly and NE would take the impression that they are a second tier backup because we're not happy with just one competition. Far better to keep it geographic. Maybe start with just the NJRB derby but personally I don't think having three, or even four, rivals is impossible. Certainly teams in Europe do tend to have a number of other rivalries with other teams from their area, and Man Utd fans seem quite proud of the fact that they have heated rivalries with half of the major teams in England and around Europe.

NYC is hated by all the cities mentioned except maybe DC. Every time I been to DC, they seem to be cool. Now Philly... well rumor has it they have jails in there stadiums due to fights and I remember feeling like someone was going to go after me it might have not helped that I am not a fan that likes to stay quiet lol NE we all know how Boston and NY already have that rivalry. NE,NY,NJ,PHI would be a great but DC is only 5 hours away which Boston is about 4 so why not add the odd man. Either way its The City vs the world! :cool:

Reactions: Gene
NE,NY,NJ,PHI would be a great but DC is only 5 hours away which Boston is about 4 so why not add the odd man.
I agree Mr. M. That's why I mentioned in another thread around here should that happen, AMTRAK would be a natural sponsor since their Acela train service starts out in DC and goes through Philly, Newark, NYC and ends up in Boston.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC