Ex-nycfc Coaches Alumni Thread

That's very interesting how those (lack of) variables set him back with NYCFC as an expansion team, and yet he's fully stoked to lead Orlando which isn't any farther along except that their stadium has a completion date. If he didn't like CFG, he's going to have a rude awakening with Flávio - that guy definitely thinks his Portuguese way is superior to an Americans/MLS.

Pass the popcorn....

Exactly. Everything he said about CFG and NYCFC applies to some extent with Orlando.

I also like how he was acting like NYCFC was on the verge of something under his tenure when in fact he all but gave up by the end of the season. We were on the verge of continuing his failures. He lost the locker room and the board. The players and the owners disliked him..thats quite an accomplishment Kreis. Try some self reflection?

I'm not sure Kreis realizes it yet, but if he fails with Orlando, his career is basically over in MLS. Fool me (the owners) once, shame on me, fool me twice, you are a hack.

Reactions: Gavin23
So I just gave it a listen. Short but interesting. He seemed very....pissed about what happened. Did not try to hide his frustrations. He started by basically implying he learned nothing in Manchester and framed it as an Americans v foreigners mentality. That Americans know what they are doing and the foreigners treat us badly in the soccer world. I dont buy it. I think he came off as arrogant and was trying to save face my turning it from a personal clash to a wider framework of US soccer vs world soccer. He also basically blamed all the failures of NYCFC on being an expansion team and that we didnt have a stadium or youth academy or existing structure. He didnt take any personal responsibility for personnel decisions and tactics which played far more into last season's failures than having a youth academy or a stadium. Further he knew damn well when he took the multi million dollar job that it would be difficult and he wouldnt have a stadium or youth academy (again how do either of those things justify playing Grabavoy...)

Interview reaffirms my opinion for him as an arrogant douche. His tone, how he blames everyone else...I dont get why this guy is so widely loved in US soccer. Also he seems to be the poster child of MLS first and "US soccer is special" mentality which irks me. I hope we crush his team of little lions in Orlando.
And thats the thing. As much as being a first year expansion team brought all sorts of issues (and we cannot all look past that) he needs to also own up to the fact that he did not manage the team well. Now I'm not saying he should go out there and say "I sucked" or whatever, but at least acknowledging there were some failures on his side instead of pointing the finger everywhere else would be beneficial.

I'm sure some of the things he brought up were somewhat legitimate. But if he's coming across like this (note I haven't listened to it, but I completely take your word for it), then it completely tones down to the other issues he actually had to deal with because instead he just comes across as an arrogant, whiny ass (kind of sounds like a certain coach across the river).

Reactions: Gavin23 and Ulrich
And thats the thing. As much as being a first year expansion team brought all sorts of issues (and we cannot all look past that) he needs to also own up to the fact that he did not manage the team well. Now I'm not saying he should go out there and say "I sucked" or whatever, but at least acknowledging there were some failures on his side instead of pointing the finger everywhere else would be beneficial.

I'm sure some of the things he brought up were somewhat legitimate. But if he's coming across like this (note I haven't listened to it, but I completely take your word for it), then it completely tones down to the other issues he actually had to deal with because instead he just comes across as an arrogant, whiny ass (kind of sounds like a certain coach across the river).

The guy interviewing him was also a kiss ass. Saying how badly Kreis was mistreated and how great kreis is etc etc. He threw him softball questions and didnt press him on any of the details, like substitutions, lineups, the draft etc etc. He just played into the whole "Poor American coach got abused my evil Europeans" and even then Kreis didnt seem to open up to the guy. Still seemed cold and snobby even with the interview being prefaced with leaps of praise. Everyone should give it a listen.

Reactions: SoupInNYC