Expansion Rumors Megathread

MLS will expand into whatever market is willing to pay the expansion fee. If there are 20 groups out there willing to invest $75 Million, they will add the bulk of those investment groups. They are not in a position to turn down capital injections. If Carolina, Las Vegas, Detroit, St. Louis, Carolina all pony up the franchise fee, they will all join (and relatively quickly).

Point of order, the most recent expansion fee was rumored to be in the $200mm range.

I don't trust Jacksonville with anything.

Nor Shelbyville, if we're making a list.

giphy.gif

Got on the expansion conference call. Here are my notes:

On Sacramento being used to force others to step up: "In no way have we used any market to leverage any other. Sacramento like any other expansion prospects will have to go through the formal process."

"We can't look at any one market outside of the formal process."

On Miami: "We have not publicly stated a deadline so I can not comment on January 31st being that deadline. I can't even comment if 25 comes before 24 because we are very focused on Miami being our 24th team."

"I'm more optimistic (on Miami) than I was in the past."

On future owners: They need to have the desire and the funds to invest in stadiums, player development, and in growing the league.

"Today, that level of wealth is something that is a must have, but frankly we're beginning to see a much younger generation of owners or prospective owners in MLS or in making investments in the league."

"We need to start moving towards a new generation of folks that have the desire or financial capacity to take this league to where we want to go."

On youth development: He said a lot of prospective teams already have started development programs for youth players. He specifically cited Cincinnati as one of the teams that has done that.

On Detroit: "I think what Detroit City FC is doing is fantastic. I think it speaks to where soccer in America is going, that you can have something that is almost a "kickstarter" business. I know they're very passionate about their team and wish them great success.

He said Tom Gores would be a great owner and said he would view a team in downtown Detroit as a positive after being asked what he thought about Gores moving his team downtown.

On North Carolina: "It starts with North Carolina FC, and I think it's a step in the right direction. It's early on and we look forward to learning what his plans are in the coming months."

On St. Louis and stadium funding vote: "It starts with, they've gotta go through the application process. The mayor and the government are aware of the fact that they have to go through that process. St. Louis has always been an attractive market to us on many levels."

He said St. Louis is very impressive and they're encouraged by what they see. If the vote against stadium funding fails, he said it's a referendum on behalf of the community as to whether or not they want to support a team downtown.

On having an odd number of teams with LAFC joining: "In the event that we do have an odd number of teams, the goal is to have it for a very short period of time"

On San Diego: "It makes it a bit harder if the Chargers don't leave."

Says the Xolos are a positive factor for the market as they would be a good rival if they play in Champions League of if there's even a competition between Liga MX and MLS or even friendlies.

On stadium plans: "Our view on stadiums has changed over the last twenty years."

Says teams went from renting stadiums, to developing their own stadiums outside of the urban core to building big stadium complexes like Denver & Dallas and then TFC showed up with a downtown stadium that's worked well. Says it depends on each individual city and the dynamic within the cities.

He said some markets are further along than others (like Sacramento) but he expects that any expansion teams will have their stadiums by 2020. He expects the application process to show where each team is in terms of finances, public support and, stadium development.

On Pro/Rel: He said that eventually teams will settle in, the league will max out their teams and other remaining teams not in MLS will find other leagues to play in but that doesn't change their view on Pro/Rel.

On two Carolina teams: "We have been in discussions with a potential investor group (in Charlotte) it's very, very early on, we're very impressed with what we've seen but we're just getting started.

On HB2 affecting their decisions: "It's not something that we've been addressing at this time, but clearly as we get into more detail with both groups I'm sure it will be a factor along with many many other factors that we have to consider."

he expects that any expansion teams will have their stadiums by 2020.

Except Us!

Also City Council passed legislation regarding Pier 40 for development. So that's out of the picture for us.

I would post this and the link in the stadium thread, but my self ban for two weeks is still in effect.

EDIT: I found the article from r/MLS and now realize the date is November 10 so unless the announcement is this week, it's not happening this week.

So it looks like Beckham is still gunning for Miami with another announcement of an announcement to be made in the current year:

http://www.thenextmiami.com/beckham-make-major-announcement-soccer-club-status-year-end/

The co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks mentioned in the article is Wes Edens, co-founder of Fortress Investment Group. (Went to school with the kids.)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article84807127.html

I don't know how diluted Beckham is becoming as an owner but this is getting nuts. Hopefully they step down as 24 so another team can enter with LAFC in 2018.

Tim Leiweke is another owner of this group. He was former President of Maple Leafe Sports & Entertainment that owns Toronto FC. He said they look like they found another partner recently who's as passionate. I guess they're looking for money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does any expansion candidate have a stadium ready to go aside from Sacramento? Building a stadium is very difficult, and the stadium criteria alone might make Garber's decision for him. I would think that San Antonio probably has their financing lined up behind the scenes and might snipe #26 from St. Louis if the public vote fails. Tampa had renderings, but I don't remember hearing about financing. And Garber's comments about Cincinnati make it seem like Nippert isn't good enough.

I haven't seen any concrete stadium stuff out of Detroit, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and San Diego. This might shape up to be a race against the clock rather than a race against each other.

Reactions: Kjbert
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does any expansion candidate have a stadium ready to go aside from Sacramento? Building a stadium is very difficult, and the stadium criteria alone might make Garber's decision for him. I would think that San Antonio probably has their financing lined up behind the scenes and might snipe #26 from St. Louis if the public vote fails. Tampa had renderings, but I don't remember hearing about financing. And Garber's comments about Cincinnati make it seem like Nippert isn't good enough.

I haven't seen any concrete stadium stuff out of Detroit, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and San Diego. This might shape up to be a race against the clock rather than a race against each other.

Very interesting on Nippert Stadium. They just completed an $85 Million renovation and the place looks very nice.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...r-of-nippert-stadium-s-completed-85m.html#g19

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I've been there, and I definitely think it's a quality host for an MLS team. Maybe not for 30 years, but I would have no criticism if they were admitted without another stadium plan in place for now.

I haven't been there but took a virtual tour from that link. That stadium is certainly a better stadium for soccer than:

Yankee Stadium
Gillette Stadium
Toyota Park
RFK Stadium

You could also make the case that a sold out Nippert is a better stadium for soccer than any of the generic soccer stadium that have gone up - FC Dallas, Mapfre, Dick's Sporting Goods, Rio Tinto, PPL, etc.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I haven't been there but took a virtual tour from that link. That stadium is certainly a better stadium for soccer than:

Yankee Stadium
Gillette Stadium
Toyota Park
RFK Stadium

You could also make the case that a sold out Nippert is a better stadium for soccer than any of the generic soccer stadium that have gone up - FC Dallas, Mapfre, Dick's Sporting Goods, Rio Tinto, PPL, etc.

What is wrong with Gillette for soccer?
Aside from the fact that its less than half full for Revs games.

True but that is fixable.

Not that Krafts would want to do it but if they put their mind to it.
It is fixable, but the Boston area gets a ton of snow each year and a grass field would get destroyed during regular football season, and that's where the Krafts see the most $$ on their business side. If it doesn't make sense from a Patriots' perspective then the Krafts won't do it.

Reactions: Kjbert

Yankee Stadium
Gillette Stadium
Toyota Park
RFK Stadium

I disagree, PPL was fine when i went there it was a good view from away section the rest of the stadium was good....not rocking loud but good.

as for the rest i guess its because those teams arent selling out .....i dont know about columbus i thought they were doing well attendance wise.....i like the rest of the stadiums since the seats are close to the fans.

whats wrong with Toyota park? i think stadium is fine....again it doesnt sell out though so atmosphere wise it may not be great now but thats also due to location.

I disagree, PPL was fine when i went there it was a good view from away section the rest of the stadium was good....not rocking loud but good.

as for the rest i guess its because those teams arent selling out .....i dont know about columbus i thought they were doing well attendance wise.....i like the rest of the stadiums since the seats are close to the fans.

whats wrong with Toyota park? i think stadium is fine....again it doesnt sell out though so atmosphere wise it may not be great now but thats also due to location.

The soccer specific little places lack the amenities and suites that Nippert has.