Expansion Rumors Megathread

“[The Galaxy fans are] strong. We understand. We get it. They are a passionate group. But the passionate group also has to understand that they are in Carson. They're not in L.A. We're in the heart of Los Angeles. To take that away, it's just not going to happen.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/mls-superdraft-loudest-supporters-lafc-galaxy-los-angeles

Just like us...kind of...
Kind of like us except that our neighbors can't crow about having a handful of cups...

“[The Galaxy fans are] strong. We understand. We get it. They are a passionate group. But the passionate group also has to understand that they are in Carson. They're not in L.A. We're in the heart of Los Angeles. To take that away, it's just not going to happen.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/mls-superdraft-loudest-supporters-lafc-galaxy-los-angeles

Just like us...kind of...

Ehh. At least Galaxy plays in the correct state.

Not holding suburban location against them, every league does it.

I have not been paying a whole lot of attention lately, who is expected to submit a bid in this round?
Detroit
Sacramento?
St. Louis?
San Diego?
Cincinnati?
Las Vegas?

I have not been paying a whole lot of attention lately, who is expected to submit a bid in this round?
Detroit
Sacramento?
St. Louis?
San Diego?
Cincinnati?
Las Vegas?

Sacramento, St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Las Vegas, San Antonio

Reactions: danger
Sacramento, St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Las Vegas, San Antonio
Are they all expected to submit a bid, or are they simply rumored to have some movement or some posturing from owners?
How complex and advanced are these initial bids required to be? Can anyone with any loose association to a city and/or potential stadium proposal submit a bid and be included in the process while they get started, or do they need to be pretty close to ready to go like Sacramento?

Stay classy San Diego. Even if it means an whale's vagina.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...nchise-and-stadium-unveiled-by-investor-group

giphy.gif

Wait, so no tax payer money goes into the stadium and after 5 years the ownership donates its half-ownership to San Diego State?!? Is that like a gigantic tax write-off donation?
And would presumably decrease their tax burden on future stadium income.

Reactions: adam
If San Diego joins with LAFC who moves East? KC and Minnesota?
If 2 expansion teams join the West then only one team would need to move East for balance. Moving 2 East would just flip the imbalance.

SKC was in the East until we joined with Orlando in 2015. They might have first dibs on flipping back. Minneapolis is slightly East of them but I doubt it would be a determining factor.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
San Diego would join with another team as 25 and 26. LAFC is 23 and Miami is 24*
Either way San Diego will be coming in with a partner.

Reactions: adam
San Diego would join with another team as 25 and 26. LAFC is 23 and Miami is 24*
Either way San Diego will be coming in with a partner.

Beckham has no major financial partner and half a stadium site. MLS can always go back to Miami in the 29-32 range, and better yet, they can charge full price. It isn't all bad for MLS if they let the Miami bid die and Beckham's option expire.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Beckham has no major financial partner and half a stadium site. MLS can always go back to Miami in the 29-32 range, and better yet, they can charge full price. It isn't all bad for MLS if they let the Miami bid die and Beckham's option expire.
It is not bad at all but given that MLS has not put it out of it's misery yet indicated to me that, at the very least, there is some friendly verbage in Beckham's contract making it costly for MLS to kill it. So I think Miami Beckham may perpetually be team 24, even if they come in 28th.

It is not bad at all but given that MLS has not put it out of it's misery yet indicated to me that, at the very least, there is some friendly verbage in Beckham's contract making it costly for MLS to kill it. So I think Miami Beckham may perpetually be team 24, even if they come in 28th.

It's plausible, but it's just as likely Garber really, really wants Miami and really, really wants celebrity Beckham as a boost to league image. Garber also wouldn't announce Miami as he did a few years ago, just to yank it on a whim - they're exploring every single possible avenue to make this work, but they might be out of road.

Reactions: mgarbowski