Expansion Rumors Megathread

Reactions: Kjbert and joe
What a mess.

If they aren't bluffing and don't have a Plan B for financing, #26 is going to fall into someone's lap. My dark horse is San Antonio. They don't chatter, but they have everything lined up if they're willing to privately finance their build out of Toyota Field and have zero red tape. Stadium, academy, ownership group - all ready to go.

To be honest, teams should be financing stadiums by themselves anyway.

Can't they just play in the old Rams stadium? Make a deal with the city, its not like anyone is using it.

Reactions: joe
To be honest, teams should be financing stadiums by themselves anyway.

Can't they just play in the old Rams stadium? Make a deal with the city, its not like anyone is using it.
The old Rams stadium is also a pretty good convention center. Part of the reason STL made no serious attempt to keep them in the EJ Dome is because they were unable to schedule conventions during the entire NFL season. Also, the Rams were able to break their lease because they had a clause in it which stated if it was not a top-tier stadium they could break with no penalty. It was often ranked one of, if not the worst stadium in the league and was also on lists for worst stadium in all of pro sports. I don't think MLS or any investors are rushing to get into that place.

Basically, they will not be playing in the Rams stadium under any reasonable circumstances.

Tampa Bay may step in and steal that spot. They have a stadium they control and want to expand (with the architects on board already), they have an aggressive owner, it's a big TV market, Miami isn't getting done any time soon.

Reactions: adam
I often wonder why other potential ownership groups don't make an offer to Beckham to bring his option into, say, Tampa or Carolina. I can only guess that MLS has forced him to go all in on Miami. In the end, if Miami doesn't come together, I could see MLS throwing him a stake in some other expansion team as part of a settlement.

Tampa Bay may step in and steal that spot. They have a stadium they control and want to expand (with the architects on board already), they have an aggressive owner, it's a big TV market, Miami isn't getting done any time soon.

If ever

Reactions: Ulrich
I often wonder why other potential ownership groups don't make an offer to Beckham to bring his option into, say, Tampa or Carolina. I can only guess that MLS has forced him to go all in on Miami. In the end, if Miami doesn't come together, I could see MLS throwing him a stake in some other expansion team as part of a settlement.
Tampa's owner doesn't need Beckham - it would dilute his ownership of the club.

No idea about Carolina, but possibly the same plus not wanting to deal with a high-powered partner that could want control/spotlight.

It has been speculated that when Beckham/MLS made the Miami announcement, that was him exercising his option and committing to Miami. I've seen MLS insiders claim that he can't take that option elsewhere. Not sure how much incentive MLS has to allow him any role in another city, they are more likely to just extend his deadline in perpetuity until he can get it together.

No idea about Carolina, but possibly the same plus not wanting to deal with a high-powered partner that could want control/spotlight.
From what I've read the Tampa owner does not have the financial capability to go to MLS himself, so he would need a partner in some capacity.

Is it possible that Beckham simply loves Miami and wants to give it a club and wouldn't feel motivated to do it anywhere else?

Would you?

Reactions: Ulrich
St. Louis would be a Western conference team so it could only be replaced by a Western conference city.

Tampa could only steal Miami's spot in line.

I think Vegas will take the Raiders and sneak on in.
SNTIC_Stadium_Presentation_08.25.16_Page_10.jpg

SNTIC_Stadium_Presentation_08.25.16_Page_11-1-resize.jpg

Reactions: Vallos
I think it's the typical European obsession with Miami as a sophisticated, international city. That is not only pushing things considerably, but it has nothing to do with whether it's a good place for a sports franchise.

It's a big market, albeit fickle sports fans. But they will show up if team wins.

Its heavily Cuban but there are also a lot of other Latino groups there as well, those who enjoy soccer.

I am confident MLS will work this time around, now that it is more stable, and more mainstream.

Now, aside from Miami what big markets don't have a team yet? Biggest one I can think of is Phoenix or Detroit, whatever is bigger. Detroit has a very good chance. Not confident about Phoenix. Because they are going to need an indoor stadium.

It's a big market, albeit fickle sports fans. But they will show up if team wins.

Its heavily Cuban but there are also a lot of other Latino groups there as well, those who enjoy soccer.

I am confident MLS will work this time around, now that it is more stable, and more mainstream.

Now, aside from Miami what big markets don't have a team yet? Biggest one I can think of is Phoenix or Detroit, whatever is bigger. Detroit has a very good chance. Not confident about Phoenix. Because they are going to need an indoor stadium.

Regarding Phoenix, it's worth noting that the stadium in Glendale has natural grass. The entire field sits on a tray that sits outside for the grass to grow and rolls inside for games.

St. Louis would be a Western conference team so it could only be replaced by a Western conference city.

Tampa could only steal Miami's spot in line.

I think Vegas will take the Raiders and sneak on in.
SNTIC_Stadium_Presentation_08.25.16_Page_10.jpg

SNTIC_Stadium_Presentation_08.25.16_Page_11-1-resize.jpg

That stadium looks dope, but how are they going to keep it cool in the desert with all that grass? Talk about a greenhouse effect!

Tom Ford is American

I didn't even have a clue who that was, or what it was from. Just wanted a good gif to illustrate my point. Europeans see Miami as one big beach, with lots of places to get drunk on cocktails. It's not regarded as a "sophisticated, international city". It's basically regarded as the Magaluf of the Americas.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...survey-mls-expansion-preference-all-time-idol

Today, we share the results of the last two questions: the city the players would most like to see get an MLS expansion team and their all-time soccer idol. A total of 63 players filled out anonymous surveys at the Combine.

On the expansion front, one city won by a virtual landslide, although a total of 27 cities were mentioned. Among those were a few requests for another team in New York, Columbus, Los Angeles and Denver. You never know, right?

Top MLS expansion cities selected by the Combine players:
  • First place: Miami (17 percent of ballots)
  • Second place: Tampa (11 percent of ballots)
  • Third place: Baltimore, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Sacramento (5 percent of ballots apiece)