Expansion Rumors Megathread

From my experience Tampa is a bad idea. Orlando draws part of its fans from there.
That seems like it'd end up being Orlando's problem, no? Orlando was fortunate to be the only (MLS) show in the state, and as such drew from areas that may not have latched on if a local option was available.

Plus, with the Owner/FO fiasco last year & Kreis in Orlando, there may be people wanting a fresh start.

Look at that MLS crest. It's the identical colors that we have. Just look at our home kit crest.

san-diego-stadium-rendering-0.png
Why are several people wearing Oscar Chelsea jerseys in this rendering?

Oscar to San Diego confirmed?

The 12 Cities Vying for Spots 25 & 26 of MLS Expansion...

- Charlotte, NC
- Cincinnati, OH
- Detroit, MI
- Indianapolis, IN
- Nashville, TN
- Raleigh, NC
- Sacramento, CA
- St. Louis, MO
- San Antonio, TX
- San Diego, CA
- Tampa Bay, FL

It's going to be very difficult for MLS to pick two for this round of expansion and then around two for 27 and 28 spots (in addition for any other cities that submit a proposal).

That's only 11. I think we are waiting on confirmation that Phoenix is a bidder, or Las Vegas with their new NFL stadium.

By the way, here's the MLS Expansion Tracker page to refresh all day at work: http://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/expansion/2017/expansion-cities-bids

Most ready are clearly Sacramento and San Antonio.

I'd argue Cincy is more ready than both. Better roster, bigger, and better stadium, more season ticket holders. They could play this March and hold their own with a few signings.

But readiness isn't the key, as the scheduled additions aren't supposed to play until 2020. I could see one coming in 2018 or 2019 as a replacement for Miami though. I'll reiterate my Sacramento replacing Miami prediction in 2019, and San Diego and St. Louis coming in for 2020 in new stadiums.

I'd argue Cincy is more ready than both. Better roster, bigger, and better stadium, more season ticket holders. They could play this March and hold their own with a few signings.

But readiness isn't the key, as the scheduled additions aren't supposed to play until 2020. I could see one coming in 2018 or 2019 as a replacement for Miami though. I'll reiterate my Sacramento replacing Miami prediction in 2019, and San Diego and St. Louis coming in for 2020 in new stadiums.
I think Tampa is in the real discussions for one of the spots. They've got a team, they have their own stadium that they're planning to upgrade on their own dime, and they have a very proactive owner that was altruistic enough to help his competitor stay afloat (until he realized the league wasn't worth saving) so he isn't a wallflower-type owner. And a second Florida team is imperative since Beckham is floundering.

Reactions: JayH
I think Tampa is in the real discussions for one of the spots. They've got a team, they have their own stadium that they're planning to upgrade on their own dime, and they have a very proactive owner that was altruistic enough to help his competitor stay afloat (until he realized the league wasn't worth saving) so he isn't a wallflower-type owner. And a second Florida team is imperative since Beckham is floundering.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them added, but I also think they have a few things going against them:

1. Orlando is on the expansion committee, and could prefer to block and try to cultivate the Tampa market more.

2. MLS may only want two Florida teams long term to spread spots to other geographic areas, and they clearly prefer Miami to Tampa.

3. Bill Edwards isn't afraid of rocking the boat as an aggressive and visible owner, which could work for him or against him if he's not well liked.

4. Their plan is privately financed. I believe any plan utilizing public money will be prioritized by the league, because (1) it's free money, (2) it's available for a limited time, and (3) privately funded options will probably still be interested for slots #27, 28, or 29-32.

I want them all.

Throwing something together just for fun, using ideas from Wilt's Pro/Rel Manifesto (https://whatahowler.com/the-pro-rel-manifesto-245d5597f2f8#.g07k1ybe5):
  • "Admit" all 12 for a reduced expansion fee and "Class B" shares with lower profit sharing.
  • Put all 12 in USL.
  • License all 12 as "major."
  • Every two years, promote two highest performing "major" teams from USL to MLS.
  • Upon promotion, require additional expansion fee to convert "Class B" shares to full-member "Class A" shares.
  • Add more licensed "major" teams in the USL if they desire (likely a bunch of NASL teams jump over).
  • Once the league reaches 30 or 32 teams, start an annual pro/rel among licensed "major" teams in USL.
  • Relegated teams swap "Class A" for "Class B" shares, earn lump sum parachute payment.
Summary: Two-tier MLS/USL setup. Group of USL teams licensed "major" teams. Trickle them upwards to pace the growth of MLS. Each team must pay for the license, then pay again upon promotion for their full shares. Eventually cap MLS size and institute real pro/rel. Relegated teams retain MLS shares with reduced rights and receive parachute payment to make up for the value.

*This is purely for fantasy/fun purposes. Won't happen. I don't even care all that much for pro/rel.

I want them all.

Throwing something together just for fun, using ideas from Wilt's Pro/Rel Manifesto (https://whatahowler.com/the-pro-rel-manifesto-245d5597f2f8#.g07k1ybe5):
  • "Admit" all 12 for a reduced expansion fee and "Class B" shares with lower profit sharing.
  • Put all 12 in USL.
  • License all 12 as "major."
  • Every two years, promote two highest performing "major" teams from USL to MLS.
  • Upon promotion, require additional expansion fee to convert "Class B" shares to full-member "Class A" shares.
  • Add more licensed "major" teams in the USL if they desire (likely a bunch of NASL teams jump over).
  • Once the league reaches 30 or 32 teams, start an annual pro/rel among licensed "major" teams in USL.
  • Relegated teams swap "Class A" for "Class B" shares, earn lump sum parachute payment.
Summary: Two-tier MLS/USL setup. Group of USL teams licensed "major" teams. Trickle them upwards to pace the growth of MLS. Each team must pay for the license, then pay again upon promotion for their full shares. Eventually cap MLS size and institute real pro/rel. Relegated teams retain MLS shares with reduced rights and receive parachute payment to make up for the value.

*This is purely for fantasy/fun purposes. Won't happen. I don't even care all that much for pro/rel.

i got to read that article...been months since he said he was going to write it but never did.

In order...

St. Louis
San Antonio
Detroit
Sacramento
Tampa (if Miami falters)
St Louis is out unless they bite the bullet and privately finance their stadium (which for the record they should absolutely do).

Reactions: Ulrich
Ideally it would be Sacramento and Detroit.

Detroit doesn't have a stadium plan but their backers are filthy rich and have proven they are willing to privately fund new stadium.

Looking at stadium situation, Sacramento is a lock. For a smaller market it is not going to get any better then them. And MLS has run out of big markets to go to, except maybe Detroit, assuming Miami is the 24th team.

Last edited:
Ideally it would be Sacramento and Detroit.

Detroit doesn't have a stadium plan but their backers are filthy rich and have proven they are willing to privately fund new stadium.

Looking at stadium situation, Sacramento is a lock. For a smaller market it is not going to get any better then them. And MLS has run out of big markets to go to, except maybe Detroit, assuming Miami is the 24th team.

I don't want Dan Gilbert in this league. I don't like Dan Gilbert.

Reactions: BxLio91