Expansion Rumors Megathread

It's approaching embarrassing territory.

*the Miami MLS stuff

Beckham has no major financial partner and half a stadium site. MLS can always go back to Miami in the 29-32 range, and better yet, they can charge full price. It isn't all bad for MLS if they let the Miami bid die and Beckham's option expire.
Yep, it's not as if he hasn't been given a more than fair shot at it. Nobody else would have been allowed to stick around this long.

Makes me wonder if there's some sort of parachute tied to the contract that MLS has to pay Beckham if he can't get the team built (since the team effectively was a massive compensation package in the first place for coming stateside)??? And obviously if that's the case, MLS wouldn't want to pay it so they leave Beckham dangling in the wind.

Reactions: adam
I think some of Beck's major challenges, including the stadium, would not get any easier if another group took over. So since the league is committed to Miami, they will keep feeding him rope.
The real question is who picked Miami? Did Becks originally pick it thinking he'd want to live there (not realizing the mountain to climb), or did MLS tell him his team had to play there?

If Becks picked it then I have zero problem with MLS holding him to it (because other viable cities already have owner groups formed). But if MLS told him it was Miami or nothing, then that was a pretty crappy arrangement to agree to.

Kind of a strange thing to do, no?

I guess if MLS bigwigs are in NYC at the time it's scheduled, and are deciding on who the future expansion teams will be, it makes sense. But is that happening? Idk...

Edit: Ulrich Ulrich pretty much said the same as me in fewer words.

I guess if MLS bigwigs are in NYC at the time it's scheduled, and are deciding on who the future expansion teams will be, it makes sense. But is that happening? Idk...
Understand that, but I can't help but think there are more direct and effective ways to get to MLS bigwigs. That said...I am not an MLS bigwig so what do i know.

I was watching CNBC this morning and constantly saw the banner in the background of the set. So they are still running this banner surprisingly.
Is there a sizable NYC/St. Pete population overlap? Do the attorney's on this board "summer" there?

I was watching CNBC this morning and constantly saw the banner in the background of the set. So they are still running this banner surprisingly.
Is there a sizable NYC/St. Pete population overlap? Do the attorney's on this board "summer" there?

Squawk Box is filmed on 6th avenue next to Radio City. Their NYSE set is inside the NYSE.

I doubt it. I have vacationed a bit south in Sarasota a few times and grew up in Gainesville, but I think I am more of an anomaly, at least regarding that part of the state.

http://soccercitysd.com/

JNBnTHe.jpg

Reactions: adam and sbrylski
That's a very impressive proposal backed by a group of very well qualified investors! Not a bad road trip for an early March season opener!

So I'm hearing the president of Univision is part of the SD group? Huge mark in the plus column there. Plus their cross-investment with a Liga MX team?

I feel bad for Sacramento, but I'd take San Diego over them at this point if I had to pick one market for the West. I will predict Miami fails and St. Louis squeaks their public funding deal through, so we end up with:

2018 - LAFC
2019 - San Diego/Sacramento
2020 - San Diego/Sacramento + St. Louis
2022 - Florida Team (Miami reboot or Tampa) + Detroit (or Cincy/Nashville/Carolina)

This is poorly balanced geographically, but that's a secondary concern to getting the right teams. Minnesota could play in the East from 2019-2021, or you go with unbalanced splits through the growing pains.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Look at that MLS crest. It's the identical colors that we have. Just look at our home kit crest.

san-diego-stadium-rendering-0.png

The 12 Cities Vying for Spots 25 & 26 of MLS Expansion...

- Charlotte, NC
- Cincinnati, OH
- Detroit, MI
- Indianapolis, IN
- Nashville, TN
- Phoenix, AZ
- Raleigh, NC
- Sacramento, CA
- St. Louis, MO
- San Antonio, TX
- San Diego, CA
- Tampa Bay, FL

It's going to be very difficult for MLS to pick two for this round of expansion and then around two for 27 and 28 spots (in addition for any other cities that submit a proposal).

Last edited: