Foreign Dp's For Nycfc

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
I would imagine that even with a year or so to go before NYCFC takes the field, the organization has some sort of game plan in place for putting together our first roster.

Given the money and all the noise that has taken place about us coming into MLS, I would tend to think NYCFC is going to want to make a huge splash when it comes to signing DP's. Who do you think is one player we have a legit shot at bringing to New York in '15?

We've all seen the reports of guys like Xavi and Puyol linked to NYCFC, but given their ages (35 & 37 respectively by the time they'ed take the field for us) that, imho, would be a bit of a let down. I mean who wants to hear all the "Retirement League" crap all over again, right?

Personally, I believe Altidore could be one guy, but I still think NYCFC wants to get a DP who would really have an impact that makes everyone stand on their head. So, who do you think that guy will be?

There's a name! He'd be 33, however I just looked and saw his contract with PSG was extended until 2016. Is that something NYCFC could easily get around?........sorry for being naive, but I haven't really followed the game in years and I'm not up to par with international transfers.

I would imagine that even with a year or so to go before NYCFC takes the field, the organization has some sort of game plan in place for putting together our first roster.

Given the money and all the noise that has taken place about us coming into MLS, I would tend to think NYCFC is going to want to make a huge splash when it comes to signing DP's. Who do you think is one player we have a legit shot at bringing to New York in '15?

We've all seen the reports of guys like Xavi and Puyol linked to NYCFC, but given their ages (35 & 37 respectively by the time they'ed take the field for us) that, imho, would be a bit of a let down. I mean who wants to hear all the "Retirement League" crap all over again, right?

Personally, I believe Altidore could be one guy, but I still think NYCFC wants to get a DP who would really have an impact that makes everyone stand on their head. So, who do you think that guy will be?
You have to remember, Xavi is a central midfielder. He controls the tempo of the game with his passing, that kind of play style doesn't depreciate with age. Just look at how Pirlo is still influential with Juventus. He would be the perfect DP for NYCFC and its very feasible given his ties to Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain

Reactions: Gene
That's a point well taken. However, allow me not so much to rephrase the question, but look at it from a different angle.

As soccer fans we can appreciate the skill set that a guy like Xavi would bring to the field, but would he have a big enough impact to put backsides into seats? Sure diehards would understand, but what about casuals? New fans?

That's why I like Fabio's suggestion. I'm thinking the club would look at a guy like Ibrahimović (if they think they have a legit shot at getting him) not only because he would be a threat to put the ball into the back of the net, but be able to do so in spectacular fashion. In doing so he'd be the guy who would fill seats, get headlines in the papers and (dare I say) get NYCFC 30 seconds worth of coverage during the sports reports on the 6 & 11 o'clock news.

Then again, Jozy getting service from Xavi just might make some noise. ;)

I don't see them getting any HUGE name players until they have a stadium built. MAYBE Jozy. I think you'll see some city U-21/18 players coming on loan and perhaps some lower tiered English talent.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
I disagree on the HUGE name players until a stadium is built. If they DO end up playing at Yankee Stadium, I think that could be a big draw for some guys.

#DareToZlatan <--- My biggest hope!

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Zlatan has bounced around a lot. Why not come to New York city? I wouldn't be surprised

I would be honestly shocked to see Zlatan come to MLS. He thinks he is the best in the world I don't see age changing that.

That would be my biggest problem with that as well. He wants to cement himself as one of the greatest to play and to do so he needs to stay in Europe. His ego knows this.
I can honestly see us getting loaned an MCFC Bench player like Rodwell who they want to develop, needs playing time, but can't make first team yet.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
I don't think we're going to be able to get huge DPs because of the potential of a lockout/strike with MLS. I think bigger players are going to be wary of losing who knows how much time. That said, I think altidore would be an attractive option. Surely he's leaving Sunderland and coming to the states where he has a nice fan base (which will only grow after the US wins the World Cup, right guys?) may be attractive to him.

Why does everyone like Jozy? He's old news to me, I'd rather have Aron Johannson or Terrence Boyd.

Out of interest, as a non-American taking an interest, what are peoples' opinions on signing world class stars at the end of their careers v signing players at the peak of their careers who are not nearly so famous nor quite so skilful. Does the publicity of a high-profile name more important to the club than their skill and youth, or is it the other way around?

I only ask as we only really hear about your DPs when they are fading legends of the game, so I'm not sure how common younger DPs are, nor whether fans prefer to see a famous face or to see a player who will give his best years to the club?

Personally I'd like to see a young lively team. You wont get this signing older players.
I'd like a team comprised of speed and youth, crisp passing and quick wingers.
Honestly, if it was up to me our most expensive player would be a MCFC loaner like Rodwell.

It's an interesting question and personally I believe at this stage of the game MLS teams have to strike a delicate balance.

I was a Cosmos season ticket holder for years and back in those days any older warm body that had "name value" made his to and was welcomed into the NASL as a necessity. Fast forward 30-35 years later and I don't think that's necessarily the case anymore as American fans have become more sophisticated to the game.

I agree with Dan's post above and I'm sure so do a lot of other people, but as I mentioned in post #5 of this thread the name of the game is still getting asses into seats. That's why you'll still see older "name players" (for lack of a better phrase) signed as DP's that will strike a chord with local media and casual/new fans.

It's certainly a slow process, but as MLS grows I believe we'll see less older stars and more younger make their way to the US........along (hopefully) with more home grown talent.