Frank Lampard Loan Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any chance he stays, yes he has had a good impact; and seems to be liking it here. But you think the kit shitstorm was bad, imagine it if Lampard stayed "Across the Pond".
It'd be media suicide for CFG, also wouldn't it be stupid for NYC to be playing their first game without one of their major DP'sV

In the meantime he's still very productive in the UK. The man's still got it at his age.

Reactions: Kjbert
I believe he is on a two year deal.

Even if he only performs at this level for year one of his contract, that's a big win for this team and the franchise.

win-win for those fans of both MCFC and NYCFC. Well at leaset from the MC perspective!

That article is old and the loan extension has been shot down by Claudio Reyna.

i don't think we can say that's the end of it though. it's troublesome that neither lampard nor pelligrini have said anything definitive; considering that's two of the three parties involved (the other being NYC)

Honestly, for us to go train in Manchester so Lampard can stay on loan a little longer wouldn't be a bad idea to me.

i'm perfectly cool with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: USAfan6
i don't think we can say that's the end of it though. it's troublesome that neither lampard nor pelligrini have said anything definitive; considering that's two of the three parties involved (the other being NYC)
If that is the case then keep him we don't want him.

The problem is, neither Lampard nor Pellegrini can add anything constructive. Neither of them know what is going to happen, so anything they do say is speculative, hence why neither is making statements.

Lampard will go where he is told and will have no say in the matter unless he genuinely threatens to throw a complete wobbly and implode over the matter, but I don't think that's in his nature. He's basically just waiting to be told where he's going, and to be honest I don't think he particularly wants to avoid the US like the tabloids are trying to portray. He might be enjoying himself in Manchester, but he will know that NYCFC is a new chapter and a whole other ball park; one he will enjoy and be challenged by in a completely different way. The thing is, if he says he's going to do one thing and then it ends up that he does the other, he looks a complete fool. Besides, there's probably a reason that there's been no decision on the matter so far, and that's because CFG are waiting until closer to the time to assess the options. For that reason, he will have been briefed to make his responses as vague and uncertain as possible.

As for Pellegrini, he can request the management sign a player, but after that he has no influence. It seems pretty clear that he really wants Lampard to stay, but then he's wanted players before and not been given them - it's kind of something you have to get used to as a manager. He may occasionally make comments about how important Lampard is to the team and how him staying will be crucial to the club's success, but all he is trying to do is twist the arm of Soriano. Other than that, he's got no aces up his sleeve.

The problem is, neither Lampard nor Pellegrini can add anything constructive. Neither of them know what is going to happen, so anything they do say is speculative, hence why neither is making statements.

Lampard will go where he is told and will have no say in the matter unless he genuinely threatens to throw a complete wobbly and implode over the matter, but I don't think that's in his nature. He's basically just waiting to be told where he's going, and to be honest I don't think he particularly wants to avoid the US like the tabloids are trying to portray. He might be enjoying himself in Manchester, but he will know that NYCFC is a new chapter and a whole other ball park; one he will enjoy and be challenged by in a completely different way. The thing is, if he says he's going to do one thing and then it ends up that he does the other, he looks a complete fool. Besides, there's probably a reason that there's been no decision on the matter so far, and that's because CFG are waiting until closer to the time to assess the options. For that reason, he will have been briefed to make his responses as vague and uncertain as possible.

As for Pellegrini, he can request the management sign a player, but after that he has no influence. It seems pretty clear that he really wants Lampard to stay, but then he's wanted players before and not been given them - it's kind of something you have to get used to as a manager. He may occasionally make comments about how important Lampard is to the team and how him staying will be crucial to the club's success, but all he is trying to do is twist the arm of Soriano. Other than that, he's got no aces up his sleeve.

Yeah exactly, obviously there is some depth issue in the midfield and they will try and bring in someone in January but that's going to be tough. They're waiting until they have all the necessary information to make a final decision.

I think Frank would love to stay there until the summer but understands the position he is in and the importance he is with NYCFC. If I had to guess I would say he stays with MC until March.

Yeah exactly, obviously there is some depth issue in the midfield and they will try and bring in someone in January but that's going to be tough. They're waiting until they have all the necessary information to make a final decision.

I think Frank would love to stay there until the summer but understands the position he is in and the importance he is with NYCFC. If I had to guess I would say he stays with MC until March.
Extending the loan to any point is bad.

The fact that CFG is still "assessing the options" on this particular matter is a red flag.

Not necessarily. They may be assessing the difference between "he will stop playing for MCFC on 1st January" and "he will stop playing for MCFC when NYCFC leave their Manchester training camp" (early/mid Feb), neither of which would be particularly negative for NYC.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
The fact that CFG is still "assessing the options" on this particular matter is a red flag.

"A red flag?" I'd rather have the problem of Frank Lampard playing so well that a team in the Champions League and 2nd in England is seriously trying to figure out the logistics of keeping him as long as possible than not. This is probably also in part of how quickly MCFC can snatch a midfielder in the transfer market that can serve as Lampard's replacement. There are a lot of moving parts here.

But there's no indication that MCFC will keep Lampard until May. If that changes, feel free to freak out. But Lampard playing even until the 1st of March isn't a huge deal. Dempsey did that with Fulham last year, and he did that + World Cup and was strong all year long.

Reactions: Gene

this is a pretty important point.

it's certainly possible that the NYC fanbase has a bunch of bottled up energy in anticipation of the new team that we're directing our energy on something that really isn't a big deal.

I'd rather have the problem of Frank Lampard playing so well that a team in the Champions League and 2nd in England is seriously trying to figure out the logistics of keeping him as long as possible than not.

This is exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:
win-win for those fans of both MCFC and NYCFC. Well at leaset from the MC perspective!
March or May, will still be ok to get Lampard.

Keeping him might be a win for Manchester City, but if you're a fan of NYCFC it should matter whether we get him back in time for the season or not. Even if it wouldn't personally bother you if Lampard stayed in England till May, it would be a huge PR flop for both teams--which I as a fan would want to avoid. It would open MC up to accusations of skirting FFP and really under-cut the credibility of NYCFC.

It would open MC up to accusations of skirting FFP and really under-cut the credibility of NYCFC.

I'm not saying you're wrong about FFP, but can someone explain to me how FFP applies here when Lampard was a free transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.