General MLS Discussion

They won't hire a guy like Savarese.

CFG is going to want a "Yes Man" who's going to blindly do what CFG tells him to do.

Reactions: LionNYC
I hope I’m not screaming into the void when I say I like MLS less now because Messi is here. I used to be a casual fan of his, but now that he is synonymous with MLS I’m sick of him. As of right now I’m not seeing how he benefits the league over all. I see more people watching and therefore the league/the team owners have more money. How does this benefit NYCFC or even the quality of the league as a whole? It just seems to be benefiting Miami fans and team coffers. I’m just sick and tired of Messi league soccer and seeing his face plastered as the icon of our league. Makes it all seem messy and classless.

I hope I’m not screaming into the void when I say I like MLS less now because Messi is here. I used to be a casual fan of his, but now that he is synonymous with MLS I’m sick of him. As of right now I’m not seeing how he benefits the league over all. I see more people watching and therefore the league/the team owners have more money. How does this benefit NYCFC or even the quality of the league as a whole? It just seems to be benefiting Miami fans and team coffers. I’m just sick and tired of Messi league soccer and seeing his face plastered as the icon of our league. Makes it all seem messy and classless.

having messi plastered all over is getting tired, quick. but MLS knows the vast majority of new viewers/eyes are coming just for messi. and if people are having a hard time finding messi info, they will simply go elsewhere.

how does it benefit the league? -- you said it, more eyes watching from abroad. More casual people attending games. It's up to the league and each individual club/team to take advantage of this and see how many they can convert into MLS fans and fans of their local club. but just by having messi in the league, you are gaining all those extra eyes and people attending games.

Overall, the league makes more money means potentially more garber bucks in the future for teams to spend.

Messi being here is good for everyone. Whether or not the league and teams take advantage is what remains to be seen. But with messi arriving, copa america being in the US, and then the world cup in 26... the next few years will be extremely important in the soccer landscape in this country.

My favorite Messi effect was seeing multiple guys walking around Citi Field parking lots with pull wagons filled with knock off Messi Miami jerseys.

I find the league and Apple Messi focus mildly annoying but ignorable. It's easier now that Leagues Cup is over and everyone plays at the same time. I do not yet see that the league is taking concrete steps to convert the curious to long term fans of the league, but it's early.

I’m a long time Messi fan. So take that bias for what you will.

I’ve loved watching him for many years and still do with Miami. He just does things (still) that no one else in the world does. Not bothered at all by MLS trying to cash in on his presence.

Other big advantage not mentioned is his effect on other players coming to MLS. When Beckham came that opened the door for MLS 2.0. The Messi era will hopefully open up MLS 3.0. What will that mean? Don’t know. A 4th DP? Players coming here when they can still dominate in Europe? Strong argument for MLS as alternative to bigger paycheck in Saudi Arabia? All of the above I hope.

At this point my hope for this season is if/when we don’t make the playoffs, that RBNJ also a) don’t make the playoffs and b) place lower than us in the standings. Please soccer gods, I ask this as a bare minimum. Amen.
Right now we are dead even with them on points per game. And 1 point ahead on goal differential (-8 to -9).

I just want a Decision Day scenario where Inter Miami need to win and another team need to lose for Miami to make the playoffs, just so I can wear my tinfoil hat, mask, suit, pants, and shoes to show that MLS/PRO has an agenda.
Ted Unkel could be bought and sold. He looks like a guy in the movies who double crosses the main character because he was paid off by the villain.

Reactions: Joe_Cos
Will also concede that LAFC has missed some sitters.

Also I know they like panning the camera to all the celebs, but I’m curious to see how many are still there come the 80th minute.