General MLS Discussion

Will also concede that LAFC has missed some sitters.

Also I know they like panning the camera to all the celebs, but I’m curious to see how many are still there come the 80th minute.

if bouanga slots that first counter to vela and they go up 1-0.. game is totally different.

Reactions: LionNYC
Questions from the LAFC Miami match thread on Reddit:

Why are Miami and LAFC playing if they are in different conferences? [no flair]
Wait, what happened to Chivas USA? [Miami flair]
Which players / friends did Messi bring with him to Mami? [SKC Flair]
If Miami makes the playoffs can they win the league? [no flair]. The first response to this came from a Portland flair account and was completely wrong.

They all seem to be sincere. Tentative conclusion: Messi is drawing in fans to MLS including at least some who immediately identify as fans of their local team.

Last edited:
if bouanga slots that first counter to vela and they go up 1-0.. game is totally different.

I get that Miami has talent, but what I can’t understand is how usually top MLS players turtle against them - Blake letting in two easy goals, Bouanga missing various sitters. Long slipping and giving the ball straight to Messi for the 3rd goal last night.

I am not putting on tin foil (yet) as it’s just really weird that Messiami has this pixie dust where players make weird and out of character mistakes while Miami is out of this world clinical.

It will get boring real quick if Messiami wins everything.

I get that Miami has talent, but what I can’t understand is how usually top MLS players turtle against them - Blake letting in two easy goals, Bouanga missing various sitters. Long slipping and giving the ball straight to Messi for the 3rd goal last night.

I am not putting on tin foil (yet) as it’s just really weird that Messiami has this pixie dust where players make weird and out of character mistakes while Miami is out of this world clinical.

It will get boring real quick if Messiami wins everything.

i wouldn't say LAFC turtled against miami. they just weren't clinical when they had the chances and when they were on target, calendar was a fucking wall. out of no where, their CBs have become rock solid and their keeper a wall. A team that previously leaked goals like crazy is now suddenly defensively solid? It's part of the confidence that the team has gained knowing that they have messi on their side.

i'm sure some players do get that star struck feeling knowing they're on the same field as their idol. would have been a different game if they took the lead, i think. they were always going to suffer chasing the game against a dangerous attack with messi leading it.

Another coach gone, another example of how out of touch some of these team owners are...

Just coming here for the schadenfreude. That and the prospect of the Citi Field Pastrami sandwich on Saturday are the only things keeping me afloat right now.

Dying to know what Arena did, how he lost his longtime sidekick, and where it falls on the Struber-Villa-Portland scale.

Just coming here for the schadenfreude. That and the prospect of the Citi Field Pastrami sandwich on Saturday are the only things keeping me afloat right now.

Dying to know what Arena did, how he lost his longtime sidekick, and where it falls on the Struber-Villa-Portland scale.
Are you going to Citi Field for a pastrami sandwich instead of Yankee Stadium for the derby?

You must REALLY like those sandwiches.

So I’m sure most people have seen the Busquets quick free kick where he grabbed the ball and restarted while the ref was actively talking to a player of the other team, resulting in a Miami goal.

Raise your hand if someone from NYCFC did the exact same thing, the ref would have blown his whistle and called it back for some reason.

Reactions: Marito
Are you going to Citi Field for a pastrami sandwich instead of Yankee Stadium for the derby?

If I could I would

If the Mets weren’t so godawful I might consider that. But seriously I was getting ahead of myself. I guess I have to wait until next Wednesday.

ETA: The spicy dish of Revschadenfreude just keeps getting tastier by the day.

If I could I would

If the Mets weren’t so godawful I might consider that. But seriously I was getting ahead of myself. I guess I have to wait until next Wednesday.

ETA: The spicy dish of Revschadenfreude just keeps getting tastier by the day.
OMG Revs drama stiil getting even better!! It’s like 1997 all over again!

IMG_9566.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd argue, what is Messi G+A is in the top three of MLS by the end of the season, they make the playoffs, and Cincinnati doesn't eclipse the season points record?

I think a few votes go Messi's way.

Reactions: canchon
I'd argue, what is Messi G+A is in the top three of MLS by the end of the season, they make the playoffs, and Cincinnati doesn't eclipse the season points record?

I think a few votes go Messi's way.
Can’t wait until Messi inevitably wins the “newcomer of the year” award and is like “what is this?????” 🤣

And yes, when (notice I say when and not if) Miami makes the playoffs Messi will get MVP votes.

Can’t wait until Messi inevitably wins the “newcomer of the year” award and is like “what is this?????” 🤣

And yes, when (notice I say when and not if) Miami makes the playoffs Messi will get MVP votes.
I mean, why not? They haven't lost yet. Only 2 ties I think? It's not due to Jordi Alba. People here (and elsewhere) may love to hate on Messi and/or the way MLS is pumping the Messi hype, but when a key player turns a worst in the league team into the hottest team in the league with zero losses and multiple trophies heading into the playoffs ... someone help me see why he isn't a, or even the, candidate for MVP?

Not that I think we're going to the playoffs, but CLT-DC and MTL-DC are both 0-0 with 20 minutes to go. If those results hold, we will head into Wednesday only four points back of a playoff spot. Couldn't really ask for better results than that from those two games. We also have a very favorable schedule to end the season, including Toronto, DC, and Chicago.

Can someone link a eli5 or some round up of all the stuff going on in New England? Seems like something new comes up every other day now. I didn’t keep up from the start and now Im Lost lol.

Reactions: FootyLovin