General MLS Discussion

I don't get why it's necessary at all.

...Only thing i can think of is that the current logo looks a bit weird when it's in icon form (you can't read the text) so this is just to help with that and distinguish it from portland's green. I guess?

modernization. flat design is the trend these days.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Interestingly, Seattle fans in general like the change. Seems to be a consensus from Seattle fans that the current logo doesn't work well on merch and thus this is the better option..

Interestingly, Seattle fans in general like the change. Seems to be a consensus from Seattle fans that the current logo doesn't work well on merch and thus this is the better option..
It does look good on a hoodie or jacket. I love the orca logo gear. Wish we had something like that for NYCFC. And on that same page I see they also have a carnation logo that looks good.

It's gotten me kind of disappointed with our options. Seattle has 3 designs which cover flora, fauna, and human-built symbols of their city. We have interlocking letters. That embraces traditional elements both of NY sports and soccer worldwide, but I honestly feel more emotion looking at the 3 Seattle logos because letters are pretty cold as symbols go. Letters are very useful, I''ll give them that. They form words and a good writer can make them sing. But an acronym can't compete with a cute whale hitting a soccer ball.

The Pigeon is ok as a non-official nickname, but pigeon imagery doesn't work for me. Raptors are cool, but birds are off-putting reptiles with wings. We should have gone for squirrels. They're not unique to NY (and neither are pigeons) but I'm not aware of any sports team that uses squirrels as a mascot in any capacity. Maybe there's a HS or small division college team somewhere but nothing major for sure. They're all over the city and you come within a few feet of them daily and despite them being 100% undomesticated wild creatures (borderline vermin, really) we get along swimmingly. They're fearless, athletic and graceful. You can render them as fierce, industrious or cute, which is more than you can say for interlocking NYC.

As best I can tell there's no consensus on what flower or plant best symbolizes NY, and that's a shame. I have no strong opinion or ideas. As for human made objects: the obvious corollary to the Space Needle is the Statue of Liberty. Rangers already use it, which doesn't completely disqualify it but you might want something different. Other obvious choices are Brooklyn Bridge, and Empire State and Chrysler Buiidlings. The latter pair might require licensing. As a non-primary logo I'd also consider something less majestic: a yellow cab, the orange and white stripe smoke stacks they already use in the stadium, a subway entrance with poles and the colored bulbs, a pepperoni slice on a white paper plate, the Anthora.

It does look good on a hoodie or jacket. I love the orca logo gear. Wish we had something like that for NYCFC. And on that same page I see they also have a carnation logo that looks good.

It's gotten me kind of disappointed with our options. Seattle has 3 designs which cover flora, fauna, and human-built symbols of their city. We have interlocking letters. That embraces traditional elements both of NY sports and soccer worldwide, but I honestly feel more emotion looking at the 3 Seattle logos because letters are pretty cold as symbols go. Letters are very useful, I''ll give them that. They form words and a good writer can make them sing. But an acronym can't compete with a cute whale hitting a soccer ball.

The Pigeon is ok as a non-official nickname, but pigeon imagery doesn't work for me. Raptors are cool, but birds are off-putting reptiles with wings. We should have gone for squirrels. They're not unique to NY (and neither are pigeons) but I'm not aware of any sports team that uses squirrels as a mascot in any capacity. Maybe there's a HS or small division college team somewhere but nothing major for sure. They're all over the city and you come within a few feet of them daily and despite them being 100% undomesticated wild creatures (borderline vermin, really) we get along swimmingly. They're fearless, athletic and graceful. You can render them as fierce, industrious or cute, which is more than you can say for interlocking NYC.

As best I can tell there's no consensus on what flower or plant best symbolizes NY, and that's a shame. I have no strong opinion or ideas. As for human made objects: the obvious corollary to the Space Needle is the Statue of Liberty. Rangers already use it, which doesn't completely disqualify it but you might want something different. Other obvious choices are Brooklyn Bridge, and Empire State and Chrysler Buiidlings. The latter pair might require licensing. As a non-primary logo I'd also consider something less majestic: a yellow cab, the orange and white stripe smoke stacks they already use in the stadium, a subway entrance with poles and the colored bulbs, a pepperoni slice on a white paper plate, the Anthora.
Well, this whole discussion has inspired me to dig back into my archives and bring out one of my previous masterworks (from 2015). You're welcome!

The shape, beaver, and windmill blades are most of the actual NYC coat of arms. Some other parts, well, not so much LOL

NYCFCcrestRevisedColors.png

I think Seattle's rebrand looks pretty cool, but to me it has the feel of something you would do for 1 year on the club's 50th anniversary (in their case), not the long-term branding of the club.

The simplified designs get boring when you see it on every piece of merch.

I think the the Sounder revision looks great. Wouldn’t be hard to do the same here with the Empire State or Chrysler building or even a suspension bridge mashup to rep the Boroughs.

But I want to give credit to the designers of the interlocking letter logo. It looks timeless and managed to not just be a lame knockoff of the timeless and iconic Mets (actually baseball Giants) and Yankees logos. It has street wear potential because while the treatment is unique, NYC is a common usage.

NYCFC branding from the outset was such a relief to someone like me who supported the Revs for years. I didn’t want to be seen waling the streets in their hideous and dated “crayon” logo, made more hideous for years by Reebok.

Personally all of my favorite merch (the hats, the amazing light blue stadium hoodie) has only the the letter logo and not the full badge. I wish they would use it alone more often. I wish they still made a fitted ball cap with an orange (instead
of sky blue) NYC logo.

Ever heard of the London Plane tree?

Ever heard of the London Plane tree?
Literally named after another city. On the other hand, so is New York. I thought about trees, but seems too generic to me. Side note: I had to explain to some folks on Reddit that the leaf on the NYCFC third kit is the NYC Parks Department logo and not a random copy of the Toronto Maple Leafs design lol. Also, maybe it's just me, but I confess that I recognize just 2 kinds of trees, Christmas and regular.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
This is all bacon egg and cheese erasure and I will not stand for it

baconeggancheezonaroll

It's like you're from Wisconsin or something.

ETA: this sandwich is so NY but if you grow up here you don't realize it until you go somewhere else and they don't have it everywhere and it's like they told you they don't have tap water, or toilet paper. Like how do you even live.

• Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC
baconeggancheezonaroll

It's like you're from Wisconsin or something.

ETA: this sandwich is so NY but if you grow up here you don't realize it until you go somewhere else and they don't have it everywhere and it's like they told you they don't have tap water, or toilet paper. Like how do you even live.
I was in NYC for 5 mornings and had bacon egg and cheese for breakfast on 3 of them