General MLS Discussion

They actually now all charter for every game. Started during COVID and has since continued. Believe this current CBA mandated it, when that was signed a couple years ago.
Wow I missed that. Really good news for the league. Although the random "I was on a trip and ended up sitting next to frank lampard" social media posts were always entertaining.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Lots of talk about Inter Miami, but they are going to struggle defensively. They'll score their share of goals, but they're going to be picking it out of their own net a lot, too.

This Inter-Galactic match (see what I did there?) tells me we can handle Messi & Co. But only if we're balanced. If we can't get our right side involved more in the attack, we'll be fighting with one hand tied behind our back like in Charlotte, and that won't be good enough. We can't beat the big boys if they only have to defend half the pitch.

But . . . If we can go full out with our speedy young guys and get some shots off, we'll be tough to beat.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Even the scab refs are giving Miami gift calls to help them climb back into games. Phantom 2nd yellow on LA sets up Messi's game-tying goal.

Even the scab refs are giving Miami gift calls to help them climb back into games. Phantom 2nd yellow on LA sets up Messi's game-tying goal.
You didn't need subtitles to know what Greg Vanney was saying to the fourth official.

Swearing Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Reactions: ZYanksRule
as chaotic has the LA v Miami game is, it was fun to watch. much more fun than watching us. we were dead boring with how slow and unimaginative we play.
During the match I was thinking, "I hope all our guys are together and watching this."

On another note, what a great night for our league. Yeah, Inter got a gift red, but a lot of officials would have made that call, and Delgado got himself in trouble with the first yellow. Other than that, it was a match. You can tell just by the way Messi and Jordi Alba reacted after they drew level. They knew they were in a fight.

Messi is going to be talking about how MLS is no joke.

During the match I was thinking, "I hope all our guys are together and watching this."

On another note, what a great night for our league. Yeah, Inter got a gift red, but a lot of officials would have made that call, and Delgado got himself in trouble with the first yellow. Other than that, it was a match. You can tell just by the way Messi and Jordi Alba reacted after they drew level. They knew they were in a fight.

Messi is going to be talking about how MLS is no joke.
I didn't watch the match and have seen the replays of the awful second yellow call. I wish I was able to see where the ref was positioned during this play because I could absolutely see how that could be given as a second yellow depending on where the ref was positioned.

What should happen (but I doubt will), is a Disco review punishes Busquets for simulation by awarding a yellow for it (I don't even know if this is something they can do) and rescind the second yellow given.

I didn't watch the match and have seen the replays of the awful second yellow call. I wish I was able to see where the ref was positioned during this play because I could absolutely see how that could be given as a second yellow depending on where the ref was positioned.

What should happen (but I doubt will), is a Disco review punishes Busquets for simulation by awarding a yellow for it (I don't even know if this is something they can do) and rescind the second yellow given.

This is what should happen but my bet will be that Disco drops the second yellow to take away the suspension but does nothing to Busquets because he's on Messi's team.

This is what should happen but my bet will be that Disco drops the second yellow to take away the suspension but does nothing to Busquets because he's on Messi's team.

they'll fine him. it doesn't hurt him. they won't give him a yellow though cause that could hurt the team. i also don't think they can retroactively give yellows.

i also don't think they can retroactively give yellows.
I think this is the case; they can rescind them, but not retroactively apply them.

To SoupInNYC SoupInNYC's point about the official, it absolutely was a matter of positioning. From his angle, it looked for all the world like Busquets was taken out. On the reverse angle, you could see he wasn't even touched, or at least just barely.

I have no idea why VAR didn't get on the horn, but maybe they didn't catch it either until well after play had resumed. Either way, AppleTV had the angle, and if there's any justice the league will at the very least rescind Delgado's red.

I think this is the case; they can rescind them, but not retroactively apply them.

To SoupInNYC SoupInNYC's point about the official, it absolutely was a matter of positioning. From his angle, it looked for all the world like Busquets was taken out. On the reverse angle, you could see he wasn't even touched, or at least just barely.

I have no idea why VAR didn't get on the horn, but maybe they didn't catch it either until well after play had resumed. Either way, AppleTV had the angle, and if there's any justice the league will at the very least rescind Delgado's red.
Because it was a second yellow and not a straight red, it was not a reviewable play by VAR.

First yellows no. Second yellows I see the argument if and only if it’s a clear and obviously wrong call.
I cooouuuulllddd get on board with this theoretically. But, the problem is that last part "if and only if it's a clear and obviously wrong call."

That is supposed to be any review and I've now lost faith in overturning only clear and obviously wrong. Calls are often getting litigated during reviews (this applies to other sports as well).

On top of that, what designates a yellow card? It's a lot softer than a red card so there are even less objective measures for determining a yellow than a red, so determining whether a yellow is clear and obviously wrong, in the current review environment, doesn't give me any good feelings.