General MLS Discussion

Normal PRO refs are back...

Is it bad that I've decided to tune in to Liga MX over the late slate of MLS games? Maybe it's partly because we suck this year and NJRB is top of the East, but I really am not interested right now.

Imagine scoring 3 goals. Sounds like a dream.
Frustrating, ain't it? But I think the dam is about to break, and when it does, we'll be okay. It will still take until the last third of the season to really get it right, but in the meantime, we'll finally be a lot more competitive and get some results.

Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. 💪

The million-dollar question is whether the results will be enough to make it into the playoffs. We're dancing on the razor's edge right now.

Reactions: mgarbowski
One shouldn't hate. Life is too short, for one thing. For another, it's a sin. And finally, the more you hate, the more bitterness you accumulate; the more bitter you get, the faster you age. So, if you want to stay young and vigorous, free of sin and on the righteous path to a long and well-lived life, keep hate out of your heart.

However, all that being said ... I hate the Union. And I really fucking hate Red Bull.

GRRR ...

• Haha
Reactions: LionNYC and Kenny
I knew this was coming. I didn't expect it so soon.

Silly again that’s it’s in middle of season. Like when TAM was created for galaxy to sign gio dos santos. That said do we really expect another piece to be added in summer? Also really depends if Cushing still in charge

can anyone summarize how Miami and Garber rewrote the rules so Neymar or Griezman or Benzema can Join Messi and co.?

Reactions: Joe_Cos
can anyone summarize how Miami and Garber rewrote the rules so Neymar or Griezman or Benzema can Join Messi and co.?
In a word ... no.

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny
Silly again that’s it’s in middle of season. Like when TAM was created for galaxy to sign gio dos santos. That said do we really expect another piece to be added in summer? Also really depends if Cushing still in charge

"Under the new rules, teams can have either three DPs and three U-22 players, or they can have two DPs and four U-22 players, plus $2 million in general allocation money (GAM)."

The big question for us is can it be applied retroactively. If so we could reclassify Magno as our 4th U22 player because technically he would fall into that category if we had signed him when the U22 initiative existed. We would then fall into the two DPs and four U-22 players structure netting us $2M GAM.

Edit: Or if buying down Martins costs less than $2M GAM we could buy him down for a profit and add another U22 player.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinJRogers
"Under the new rules, teams can have either three DPs and three U-22 players, or they can have two DPs and four U-22 players, plus $2 million in general allocation money (GAM)."

The big question for us is can it be applied retroactively. If so we could reclassify Magno as our 4th U22 player because technically he would fall into that category if we had signed him when the U22 initiative existed. We would then fall into the two DPs and four U-22 players structure netting us $2M GAM.

Edit: Or if buying down Martins costs less than $2M GAM we could buy him down for a profit and add another U22 player.

i remember reading here or twitter than martins could not be bought down. it was more due to the transfer fee paid for him. not so much his salary.

Reactions: gbservis
I could be wrong, but I think the contract for Magno (and maybe Martins too) will have him out of DP status after this season. This is Magno's 4th and I think the amortization of his acquisition costs don't go more than 4 years.

Also, Santi doesn't seem to have a very high salary, so I wonder if he can get bought down.

Reactions: gbservis
Also, Santi doesn't seem to have a very high salary, so I wonder if he can get bought down.
Santi is on $1.2 million per year through December 2027. He's listed as a Young DP in the Senior Roster category, but I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of buy-downs under the proposed rules. I haven't seen a draft yet, just the stories in the press.

Santi is on $1.2 million per year through December 2027. He's listed as a Young DP in the Senior Roster category, but I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of buy-downs under the proposed rules. I haven't seen a draft yet, just the stories in the press.
Interesting. He shouldn't qualify for Young DP status this season because he turned 24 in January. If he's a Young DP, then he only hits the cap at $200,000. If not, he hits at $683,500.

So, if they were to buy him down with TAM/GAM to free up an extra U-22 or DP spot, it would hit the budget at around $1 million if he's a Young DP and $516,500 if he's not.

Interesting. He shouldn't qualify for Young DP status this season because he turned 24 in January. If he's a Young DP, then he only hits the cap at $200,000. If not, he hits at $683,500.

So, if they were to buy him down with TAM/GAM to free up an extra U-22 or DP spot, it would hit the budget at around $1 million if he's a Young DP and $516,500 if he's not.
I think it's the latter and the site just isn't accurate. Eastern Conference: Which clubs have DP and/or U22 Initiative flexibility? | MLSSoccer.com