General MLS Discussion

Reactions: mgarbowski
gotta respect the comradery. explains why they are consistently such a good team.

that being said, i think our squad has a very similar TEAM dynamic, which is a secret to our success as well. That tweet made me think of this moment, which may be the closest our squad gets to singing together in the locker room:

All I can think when watching that video is.... damn that's a lot of people at the stadium :/

Hadn’t seen the highlights or shenanigans from Montreal/Red Bulls until today. From the MLS recap on the 3 stoppage time penalty attempts/conversion:

The Norwegian striker [Bjørn Johnson] had his chance to shine, as a run inside the box caused a stoppage-time penalty. Just like Klimala had done in the first-half stoppage time, Johnsen stepped up to the spot but his attempt was saved by Coronel. The drama continued until the very end, as a Video Review found that Coronel had left his line before the shot. Coronel made yet another save, this time on Toye, but another Video Review forced a redo.

The third time was the charm for Montréal, as Wanyama tried his luck in the 98th minute. The Kenyan midfielder sent a shot toward the upper left-hand corner, which Coronel got his fingers on but was too strong and ended the comeback win.

Hadn’t seen the highlights or shenanigans from Montreal/Red Bulls until today. From the MLS recap on the 3 stoppage time penalty attempts/conversion:

If MLS was following the rules from prior year (like us in the playoffs, sorry to bring this up again), the GK would have received two yellow cards. Red Bulls already made 5 subs, so a field player would have needed to be in goal for the third penalty attempt.

Reactions: danger
Revs fans are very salty on Twitter the last few days, and object to anything that does not place the Revs at the absolute apex of every discussion and list.

If you don’t like advanced stats then Revs fans are your kindred.
xGoals are stupid. But then, so is goal differential, lol, (because NYCFC has a better GD than they do and it poses them off if anyone notices and mentions that). But goals scored matters because the Revs have the most. Lalas is stupid. Every stat based algorithm is stupid. Every voted power ranking is stupid if it doesn’t put the Revs first or even suggests anyone else might be good. Even an MLS tweet that notes the Revs are in first place is stupid because it also says NYCFC has been hot lately.
I think the only thing anyone is allowed to say is the Revs are in first by a lot and that that makes all other discussion irrelevant.

Revs fans are very salty on Twitter the last few days, and object to anything that does not place the Revs at the absolute apex of every discussion and list.

If you don’t like advanced stats then Revs fans are your kindred.
xGoals are stupid. But then, so is goal differential, lol, (because NYCFC has a better GD than they do and it poses them off if anyone notices and mentions that). But goals scored matters because the Revs have the most. Lalas is stupid. Every stat based algorithm is stupid. Every voted power ranking is stupid if it doesn’t put the Revs first or even suggests anyone else might be good. Even an MLS tweet that notes the Revs are in first place is stupid because it also says NYCFC has been hot lately.
I think the only thing anyone is allowed to say is the Revs are in first by a lot and that that makes all other discussion irrelevant.

To be fair, if NYCFC was leading the supporter shield race in that way I can almost guarantee people on here would be bitching about the same stuff... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be fair, if NYCFC was leading the supporter shield race in that way I can almost guarantee people on here would be bitching about the same stuff... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
To be sure, and it's unseemly no matter who does it. Right now Revs fans are in fine position to crow and boast. Go ahead. But the whining is pathetic. Twellman jumped on the whiny train too, yesterday.

NE has been off the chart great…at getting one goal wins and often late goals to get those wins.

11 of their 13 wins are by one goal.
6 of their 11 wins (including the one against NYCFC) have been by scoring the goal needed to win after the 70th minute (including a bunch at 85+).

That is ridiculously good, and I have no idea if that will continue or not, but there is definitely some opportunism there in finishing the right chance at the right time. Small margins.

NE has been off the chart great…at getting one goal wins and often late goals to get those wins.

11 of their 13 wins are by one goal.
6 of their 11 wins (including the one against NYCFC) have been by scoring the goal needed to win after the 70th minute (including a bunch at 85+).

That is ridiculously good, and I have no idea if that will continue or not, but there is definitely some opportunism there in finishing the right chance at the right time. Small margins.
You can call it luck, efficiency, opportunism, or clutch play that proves your character. You never know when it will change.
MLS has an almost really good article about what is wrong with the Crew this year.

It notes that by advanced stats, their offense is not that much worse this year than last year, but they never directly note that the Crew were extremely [lucky, efficient, opportunistic, clutch] in 2020, and then were even more so in the playoffs. Their 2020 playoff Goals exceeded their xG by more than 1 goal per game.

Suddenly this year the amount by which the Crew exceeds xG is down by 80% from the 2020 regular season on a per game basis, and Zelarayan went from the type of player some people here said NYCFC needs because he knows how to score when it matters to someone who apparently can only score 20 yard free kicks, and adds little other value. He has turned the ball over while dribbling more than anyone else in MLS.

Back to the Revs. As you note, a lot is going right for them, especially in close games. Sometimes, as with the 2020 Crew, the good things last all season and it gets even better in the playoffs. Sometimes it doesn't. It never lasts forever. It might get them an MLS Cup, or it could end this week. But every point they won so far is in the books and theirs to keep no matter. It's gonna be tough to catch them.

Last edited:
One more thing about close games. One of the best known and long-standing, sort-of advanced stat truths is that teams that do exceedingly well in 1-run baseball games almost never repeat that performance the following season.

I note that the following year in 2017 the Texas Rangers record in 1-run gams was 13-24 for a 0.351 percentage.

I have no idea and cannot find if anyone has checked the same with respect to 1 goal games in soccer (which should also account for ties), but I expect the results would be similar. I very much doubt doing well in 1-goal games is a skill that repeats over time. But as that article notes, the results count no matter.
My take is if your team is lucky, don't apologize (and don't whine if someone says they are lucky because they are), and if your team is unlucky, deal with it.

The writing in MLS Power Rankings this year continues to shine:

Minnesota United FC: Sometimes you find a dollar on the ground. Sometimes you hit every red light. Sometimes you get bumped up two spots in the Power Rankings by a rotating cast of voters even after a home loss. Such is life, I guess.​
There's at least 5-6 more that good or maybe better.

The writing in MLS Power Rankings this year continues to shine:

Minnesota United FC: Sometimes you find a dollar on the ground. Sometimes you hit every red light. Sometimes you get bumped up two spots in the Power Rankings by a rotating cast of voters even after a home loss. Such is life, I guess.​
And the disclaimer at the beginning: The Power Rankings are voted on by the entirety of the MLSsoccer.com editorial staff. You should probably be gently made fun of if you still think the actual rankings are made by just one person. Like Dave from Minnesota who jumped in my mentions to complain about the Loons rankings. Well, Dave. You’re going to feel a lot better about it this week. Even if you clearly don’t read the disclaimer. Anyway, if I had my say I would have dropped them 30 spots just for Dave. Because I’m personally determined to ruin the sanctity of the most sacred tradition in sports: The Power Rankings. If that upsets you, think about the fact Tom Bogert once said “I don’t get The Shawshank Redemption, couldn’t he have just explained he didn’t do it?”. Anyway, you should really recognize that the stakes have never been lower.