General MLS Discussion

And the disclaimer at the beginning: The Power Rankings are voted on by the entirety of the MLSsoccer.com editorial staff. You should probably be gently made fun of if you still think the actual rankings are made by just one person. Like Dave from Minnesota who jumped in my mentions to complain about the Loons rankings. Well, Dave. You’re going to feel a lot better about it this week. Even if you clearly don’t read the disclaimer. Anyway, if I had my say I would have dropped them 30 spots just for Dave. Because I’m personally determined to ruin the sanctity of the most sacred tradition in sports: The Power Rankings. If that upsets you, think about the fact Tom Bogert once said “I don’t get The Shawshank Redemption, couldn’t he have just explained he didn’t do it?”. Anyway, you should really recognize that the stakes have never been lower.

I miss the comments section of the Power Rankings on MLSsoccer.com

I miss the comments section of the Power Rankings on MLSsoccer.com
That and the weekly comments on Instant Replay were a regular source of amusing harmless stupidity that I considered a guilty pleasure. The Power Rankings also for a while featured a weekly parody write-up that I never thought was quite as funny as its reputation, bit it still was pretty good. Someone else used to post his algorithm Power Rankings also that were interesting.

That and the weekly comments on Instant Replay were a regular source of amusing harmless stupidity that I considered a guilty pleasure. The Power Rankings also for a while featured a weekly parody write-up that I never thought was quite as funny as its reputation, bit it still was pretty good. Someone else used to post his algorithm Power Rankings also that were interesting.
MLS losing its MLSness.

Fred Zilla forever

(and yeah, those power ranking comments were a guilty pleasure).

WaPo: Vancouver Whitecaps declare ‘enough is enough’ after academy player is stabbed

The MLS team said the incident was “believed to be a racially motivated attack” but provided no related details.

“Enough is enough,” the Whitecaps said in a statement. “We are heartbroken and sickened by the allegations and strongly condemn all forms of discrimination, racism, and hate. Such disgusting behavior has absolutely no place in our community. We will do everything to support our players affected and urge the toughest punishment possible for those responsible.”

The writing in MLS Power Rankings this year continues to shine:

Minnesota United FC: Sometimes you find a dollar on the ground. Sometimes you hit every red light. Sometimes you get bumped up two spots in the Power Rankings by a rotating cast of voters even after a home loss. Such is life, I guess.

There's at least 5-6 more that good or maybe better.
New York Red Bulls logo
New York Red Bulls

The New York Red Bulls earned a draw against CF Montréhaahksaadfa...sorry let me try that again.

The New York Red Bulls earned a draw against CF Montréhaahksaadfa...sorry let me try that again.

The New York Red Bulls lost to CF Montréal.

Previous: 2-1 loss at MTL | Next: 8/18 vs. CLB

Columbus hasn’t won a game since Porter whined about not getting respect in the power rankings, right?
Fans whining about not getting respect in power rankings is quite often cringe-worthy.

But a head coach doing it? That is just a whole 'nother level.

ETA: Wanted to clarify that I have no issue with fans debating power rankings, that's what they're there for and there's usually some good discussion there, even if it's all just about some list some dude made. But it's the "these guys doing the power rankings never give us respect" stuff and @'ing them on twitter saying that that I find cringe-worthy.

Last edited:
Kind of mls discussion, kind of Jersey discussion. I watched the highlights from the LAG & SJ game and I really found the blue color of the quakes jersey to be very striking. It looked stunning under the bright lights in LA.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
Honestly I think this is a terrible idea. I like the idea of not having blackouts, but an American sports league that is on a streaming-only platform will be completely forgotten about by the general American sports fan. They need to be on local TV.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Honestly I think this is a terrible idea. I like the idea of not having blackouts, but an American sports league that is on a streaming-only platform will be completely forgotten about by the general American sports fan. They need to be on local TV.
While I do agree with you that without a tv deal it makes the league seem less legit. But I am curious who MLS is trying to target as their audience. If they are going after the under 30 crowd it makes sense to move away from Cable TV. I genuinely can’t think of any under 30 friend who has a tv subscription and aren’t just piggy backing off their parent’s tv subscription. Streaming may be “the way to the future” but I really don’t know. I definitely see the optics that you’re laying out but maybe they will still save money as a league and find the audience they are looking for. I’m seeing many people on this forum bitch about lack of access to games, I doubt they are the only ones.

While I do agree with you that without a tv deal it makes the league seem less legit. But I am curious who MLS is trying to target as their audience. If they are going after the under 30 crowd it makes sense to move away from Cable TV. I genuinely can’t think of any under 30 friend who has a tv subscription and aren’t just piggy backing off their parent’s tv subscription. Streaming may be “the way to the future” but I really don’t know. I definitely see the optics that you’re laying out but maybe they will still save money as a league and find the audience they are looking for. I’m seeing many people on this forum bitch about lack of access to games, I doubt they are the only ones.

They should do both -- stream every game without blackouts on ESPN+ and give teams the option to have a local TV deal. You can either watch on ESPN+ or on YES -- or when games aren't live on YES, fans can watch them on the YES app or on ESPN+. Make it available to everyone.

Reactions: canchon