General MLS Discussion

they did that in like in 2018. they got a new owner and then they changed the logo, people hated it and changed it again to this one. colors will remain as they are city flag colors along with the star in the middle.
That's what I'm saying, the pool is all muddied. Old fans don't want change, new fans aren't attracted to what the "Chicago Fire" brand is associated with. Burn it down and start a completely new franchise without any of the Chicago Fire history attached to it, a la Chivas USA and LAFC.

That's what I'm saying, the pool is all muddied. Old fans don't want change, new fans aren't attracted to what the "Chicago Fire" brand is associated with. Burn it down and start a completely new franchise without any of the Chicago Fire history attached to it, a la Chivas USA and LAFC.

the branding issue is easily fixed with a winning team, people didnt care about the name when they were a playoff team in the blanco mcbride years for example. they had good crowds. they seem to just get one player and that it. LAFC spent money Chicago does not.

atlanta has not done well and crowds did go down in the recent years. its all about winning.

Now this is a fun kit. I like the colors and the broken down logo

1676921512282.png

• Nine teams per conference will be the highest number of playoff teams in a “normal” season yet, only exceeded by the 10-per-conference makeshift model during the COVID-19-shortened 2020 season.
  • The opening “wild-card” round will see the teams which finished the regular season seeded eighth and ninth play a one-off match at the higher seed’s venue.
  • The “first round” will ensue with the No. 1 seed facing the wild-card winner, 2 facing 7, 3 facing 6 and 4 facing 5. The round will be a best-of-three series, with the higher seed hosting the first and (if necessary) third games. These games cannot end in ties; the first team to win two games advances to the conference semifinal.
  • The conference semifinal, conference final and MLS Cup will return to the usual one-off format, with the higher remaining seed hosting.

• Nine teams per conference will be the highest number of playoff teams in a “normal” season yet, only exceeded by the 10-per-conference makeshift model during the COVID-19-shortened 2020 season.
  • The opening “wild-card” round will see the teams which finished the regular season seeded eighth and ninth play a one-off match at the higher seed’s venue.
  • The “first round” will ensue with the No. 1 seed facing the wild-card winner, 2 facing 7, 3 facing 6 and 4 facing 5. The round will be a best-of-three series, with the higher seed hosting the first and (if necessary) third games. These games cannot end in ties; the first team to win two games advances to the conference semifinal.
  • The conference semifinal, conference final and MLS Cup will return to the usual one-off format, with the higher remaining seed hosting.
A play in round. Best of three where goal differential is irrelevant. This is very American. I approve on that basis. On the substance, I will have to see.

These games cannot end in ties; the first team to win two games advances to the conference semifinal.

Interesting. Imagine a penalty shootout in the first game which doesn't actually decide anything? So weird.

Reactions: mgarbowski
It sounds ridiculous on its face but I'm quickly warming up to "room temperature" on it.

Play-in games are sideshow drama so it's whatever. Then the best-of-3 in the first round theoretically screens out pretenders well, leaving an "elite 8" knockout final that will be the real show.

My main compliant is that there were other alternatives I liked better to achieve the goals (more games, home game for every team); and secondly, the best-of-3 round is too PK heavy. A team could draw 0-0, win 4-0, and draw 1-1 and still lose the series if they lost the PKs.

It sounds ridiculous on its face but I'm quickly warming up to "room temperature" on it.

Play-in games are sideshow drama so it's whatever. Then the best-of-3 in the first round theoretically screens out pretenders well, leaving an "elite 8" knockout final that will be the real show.

My main compliant is that there were other alternatives I liked better to achieve the goals (more games, home game for every team); and secondly, the best-of-3 round is too PK heavy. A team could draw 0-0, win 4-0, and draw 1-1 and still lose the series if they lost the PKs.
A play in round. Best of three where goal differential is irrelevant. This is very American. I approve on that basis. On the substance, I will have to see.
I agree, I like the idea of the best-of-3, as it will help solve the issue we've all been complaining about (or happy about...) with the first team bye. It's just the pens that is weird imo.

Bring back golden goal! (jk please don't kill our players)

Reactions: mgarbowski
18 of 29 teams make the playoffs now. That's ... A lot. And really devalues the regular season, especially since the 16th best team can still host a playoff game and pull off an upset.

Reactions: Shwafta
don't like it. why not just bring back typical 2 leg matchup? too many games at the end of the season in probably too short amount of time. the players will be gassed. injuries will probably be more likely. performances may suffer as well.

I don't think anyone should be surprised. This is nothing more than an obvious money grab a la MLB, NBA & NHL.

Everybody getting a home match = ticket sales at inflated prices, etc.

Also, MLS says the first-round best of 3 will not include extra time. If games are tied after 90, those games go straight to PKs.

Play 3 on 3 golden goal for 5 minutes like hockey. Would probably need to shorten the field, maybe in half. If nobody scores, then PKs. It would be extraordinarily entertaining, and I bet most games would avoid PKs. Completely murders all norms and traditions, though.

Reactions: JCMore and Vallos
Play 3 on 3 golden goal for 5 minutes like hockey. Would probably need to shorten the field, maybe in half. If nobody scores, then PKs. It would be extraordinarily entertaining, and I bet most games would avoid PKs. Completely murders all norms and traditions, though.
I've always wanted 11 v 11 golden goal but every 10 minutes that passes and a goal isn't scored, each team removes a player.

A top seed now has the chance to host 5 additional games. That’s a lot of extra scharole! Even the low seeds are guaranteed a home game. My question is when do they move MLS Cup to a neutral site?

Reactions: Kenny and JayH
A top seed now has the chance to host 5 additional games. That’s a lot of extra scharole! Even the low seeds are guaranteed a home game. My question is when do they move MLS Cup to a neutral site?

Hopefully never. This league isn't big enough -- and the country is too big -- for that.

Reactions: Shwafta