Great Atmosphere For The Seattle Game

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
Congrats to all the supporters for a terrific atmosphere in last night's game.

This was my first game since the home opener, and you can see the steps that have been taken in creating a truly exceptional Supporters' Section. As my son and I were walking toward Yankee Stadium around 5:15, you could hear the crowd inside singing and chanting already, and you knew this was going to be a very different and special atmosphere from what you normally get in that venue.

We were in the 2nd row behind the goal opposite the Supporters' Section, so it was a little hard to hear exactly what was being sung or said, but the enthusiasm and noise were clear and made it a great event. Same is true of the band in the side bleachers. Hats off to the Seattle supporters too, who really showed their stuff in the visitors section and elsewhere. Only negative is the lack of a TIFO, but I am sure there is a reasonable explanation (and I know they aren't easy to make).

So, bottom line is that there is a huge difference between Game 1 and Game 5. The passion and enthusiasm were always there, but the organization - singing, chanting, smoke, etc., is on a totally different level.

The atmosphere is great. Every game feels like a special event and the SGs are getting much much better with chanting together. They're making a lot of noise, and so is the rest of the crowd. My seats are in the same section as where you were sitting, and it gets nuts, especially when NYCFC is scoring on the goal on our side. Though, I wish folks would stop yelling PUTO when the opposing goalkeeper takes a goal kick. It's just stupid, and we're not the Mexican national team.

The team needs to start winning ASAP, because I'm worried that we'll lose this atmosphere if this terrible play continues.

I thought the atmosphere was a lot more restrained and quiet last night. A LOT of people showed up late, coming in 10-20 minutes after the game started. And then once evryone was in the house, it felt like it took a long time for the buzz to build. It didn't help that we gave up the first goal just around when the place filled up.
I started feeling some energy during maybe the last 15 miunutes of the first half, and was pleased that the atmosphere did not completely deflate when we gave up another go ahead goal just 4 minutes after we equalized. From then on I was pleased at how the crowd maintained the enrgy despite us having no apparently meaningful shot to win, but even then it seemd we never reached the level of prior games (and I'm putting the Home Opener in a class by itself for multiple reasons).
Bottom line, I agree the atmosphere remains great, but I too worry we need to start winning occasionally to keepi it up.

On the same side of the stadium as both of you. The Puto chants were loud and persistent, that took away from the overall atmosphere for me. Supporter's group sounds better each week, and I think the smoke looks cool but I'm not in those sections so maybe it's annoying I can't say.

Over 20K for each game and the atmosphere keeps improving. Can't ask for much else from the crowd - the team on the other hand...it'll take time.

Reactions: The Toe
watching on TV, it sounds like the crowd was cheering the entire game (as if it was NBA Finals, game 7, score tied, 5 seconds left).

I couldn't hear much chanting (or it was drowned out by the crowd noise).

Was that just the way Yes network mic'ed the game?

It seemed like most of the second half the supporters sections could not get anything started. It was quite the contrast to the first half when they were unified and on point. The extra drums did not seem to help much with organization or energy they mostly just added some dull thudding that emphasized the lack of noise.

The chants of "puto" were disappointing. Talk about a chant lacking in originality and class. It goes to show though that if the supporters don't offer an alternative then the rest of the crowd will sink to the lowest common denominator.

I was glad to see that the majority of the crowd stayed involved and optimistic until the end. When the players put forth good effort they were rewarded with applause and shouts of encouragement for the most part. When Martins was fouled in the final minutes the fans around me cheered Kwame for demonstrating the frustration that we all were feeling. The thought of Martins scoring a hat trick would have been unbearable.

I keep seeing everyone complaining about the puto chant, and I've yet to hear it at a game. Maybe i'm standing too far back in section 236 but I thought most people were yelling "you suck" on the goal kicks. Also, asshole it pretty much a staple at rangers and knicks game, especially when theres a bad call.

I keep seeing everyone complaining about the puto chant, and I've yet to hear it at a game. Maybe i'm standing too far back in section 236 but I thought most people were yelling "you suck" on the goal kicks. Also, asshole it pretty much a staple at rangers and knicks game, especially when theres a bad call.
No, watching the replay the word was definitely mouthed by a good portion of the front 15 rows of 236. Video and audio evidence confirms this.

at least yesterday it wasnt all coming from 236 or other SG sections. I was hearing it come from across the field on the other side ( the side where we scored our only goal).

i did hear the "you suck" chant but not sure if they went all out on YSA.

of course the asshole chant went rampant all around stadium i assume when the red was given. at least everyone where iwas sitting w as saying it.

It was done on every goal kick last night. The loudest it's been so far.

As long as the third rail says "heeeeeeeeeey", no matter what sort of clever thing they put after it, people all over the stadium are going to yell puto, because it is what they know. Maybe in 5 or ten years this won't be the case but I don't see any way around it today.

Solution: no "heeeeeeeeey" on goal kicks. Glad to see there is enough unity over there start something people can get into across the stadium, but it is just going to have to be something else.

Thought the atmosphere was great last night, at least from where I was (235). Feel like the fans are getting more into the rhythm of the game now in terms of knowing when to start/join in chants. The home opener, by comparison, was just a free-for-all - everyone super-rowdy, without any cohesion. Yeah, the atmosphere was quiet in the second half, but with good reason - we were getting it handed to us. The whole thing feels a lot more natural to me now, after a few games - I say that as someone who's been watching lower-league football in England for the last 20 years. I haven't seen any of the chant sheets yet, and people are always going to criticize those, but it honestly doesn't bother me after five home games!

Reactions: Goodfella
THis is great news guys. Again just like the team on the field is a work in progress being an expansion team, the supporters section is no different. We will only get better and once we have a consistent winner the stadium will be rocking. Cant wait.

I always sit in section 225, which is right next to the away supporters section. It's fun to hear the traveling opposition chants, and the Sounders supporters were a little more clever with "You'll always be / Man City B" than the Sons of Ben at the Philly match were with simply "You're not Man City! You're not Man City!"

There's obviously a theme that the away supporters are latching onto.