Great News For Mls And Nycfc : Possible Attendance To The Copa Libertadores

MLS ain't ready yet. Gotta raise the cap and maybe another DP slot, let the talent rise for a few years then they'll be ready

MLS ain't ready yet. Gotta raise the cap and maybe another DP slot, let the talent rise for a few years then they'll be ready
With all due respect, I disagree. This tournament will help MLS by showcasing some of the top clubs in the world. It will encourage MLS clubs to be more competitive. This will move MLS to spend more money on top players sooner rather than later.

With all due respect, I disagree. This tournament will help MLS by showcasing some of the top clubs in the world. It will encourage MLS clubs to be more competitive. This will move MLS to spend more money on top players sooner rather than later.
I hope you are right! :)

I''m not a fan of this, as it would simply add to fixture congestion and make the league, which already requires more travel miles than any other league in the world, even more daunting when it comes to constant long- distance air travel.
Would this even sell well in the league? The CCL has been a tough sell for all teams. Sure this one is more prestigous, but are the Galaxy fans going to be pumped up for the big clash with San Lorezo?? I doubt it.

I''m not a fan of this, as it would simply add to fixture congestion and make the league, which already requires more travel miles than any other league in the world, even more daunting when it comes to constant long- distance air travel.
Would this even sell well in the league? The CCL has been a tough sell for all teams. Sure this one is more prestigous, but are the Galaxy fans going to be pumped up for the big clash with San Lorezo?? I doubt it.
It really all depends on how it is marketed by the league. Which, to be honest, scares me. MLS hasn't really done anything to capitalize on all the new fans from the World Cup. (At least to my knowledge) It more than likely will become something similar to the CONCACAF Champions League (Which I barely knew even existed); unless the league make a big deal about it.

It really all depends on how it is marketed by the league. Which, to be honest, scares me. MLS hasn't really done anything to capitalize on all the new fans from the World Cup. (At least to my knowledge) It more than likely will become something similar to the CONCACAF Champions League (Which I barely knew even existed); unless the league make a big deal about it.
To be fair, does the league even WANT to make a big deal out of either tournament? They are both run by outside federations who control the sponsorhips, tv rights and probably share the revenue. It does not really make business sense for MLS to use their resources to make a big deal out of either competition.

To be fair, does the league even WANT to make a big deal out of either tournament? They are both run by outside federations who control the sponsorhips, tv rights and probably share the revenue. It does not really make business sense for MLS to use their resources to make a big deal out of either competition.
CONCACAF is run by an outside federation? What do you mean?

CONCACAF is run by an outside federation? What do you mean?
Concacaf is not owned by the owners of MLS clubs. If the CCL was made into a big deal in the US, due to the effort and at the expense of the MLS owners, then the revenues from such a tournament would be spread throughout the corrupt Concacaf federation leaders and to the small nations, siphoning off revenue from MLS.

Concacaf is not owned by the owners of MLS clubs. If the CCL was made into a big deal in the US, due to the effort and at the expense of the MLS owners, then the revenues from such a tournament would be spread throughout the corrupt Concacaf federation leaders and to the small nations, siphoning off revenue from MLS.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the 6 FIFA Federations are owned by the clubs. As for CONCACAF, I am not familiar with any stories of corruption. Although I have read many stories of corruption by FIFA HQ.
As of Aug. 17, I am now aware of CONCACAF corruption.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the 6 FIFA Federations are owned by the clubs.
Correct, but that is exactly my point. Why should MLS invest their time, money and resources towards promoting a tournament in which they do not control the revenues? Be it Concacaf or Conmebol. I made that point in response to this post earlier:
Why should MLS make a big deal out of a Concacaf or Conmebol tournament unless the fans are going crazy for it? Right now, MLS fans don't have much interest in the CCL and I don't see much reason for MLS to really commit to changing that.

MLS usually can't compete against MX teams in the later stages of CCL so far. Why in the world would they get involved in a harder and further away tournament?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Correct, but that is exactly my point. Why should MLS invest their time, money and resources towards promoting a tournament in which they do not control the revenues? Be it Concacaf or Conmebol. I made that point in response to this post earlier:

Why should MLS make a big deal out of a Concacaf or Conmebol tournament unless the fans are going crazy for it? Right now, MLS fans don't have much interest in the CCL and I don't see much reason for MLS to really commit to changing that.
Doesn't the winner of the CCL become 1 of 6 club teams to participate for the FIFA Club World Cup? That should be reason to promote the tournament.

Doesn't the winner of the CCL become 1 of 6 club tams to participate for the FIFA Club World Cup? That should be reason to promote the tournament.
Yet another outside tournament that nobody in the football world really takes seriously?

Yet another outside tournament that nobody in the football world really takes seriously?
I have friends and relatives outside of the United States and they take it very seriously. I have been following it since 2000.

As an EPL fan and someone who understands UCL and Europa League - I can see why MLS struggles. MLS clubs have a salary cap and player number restrictions.

Copa Libertadores is my favorite tournament, it has all those little things of south American futbol that makes it really hard to win.

But imagine NYCFC playing a saturday night MLS game and then traveling during a week day for 11 hours to Buenos aires to come back another 11 hours to play on the weekend again. Uffff thats a lot

Reactions: 413Blue