Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to Viera to try something like this:

Mata-Villa-Shelton (or Mendoza)

Mix-Poku

Pirlo-Bravo

Mena-Brillant-White

Johansen
I wouldn't mind seeing this, or having Mata play further up the pitch. But I think TMac just showed he can give us some real quality minutes up there. With that and Big Apple Jack coming soon, I'm not sure we need to move Mata up quite yet.

Also, I have been in the camp that likes Mena, but he appears to be completely in PV's doghouse. I'm not sure we'll see him cracking the starting XI unless its s multiple game week, during international play, or USOC.

Reactions: hiller87 and Ulrich
"Going back to 2011, there have been 28 teams that have not hit eight points through seven games. Of those 28 teams, only three have made the playoffs"

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/27/why-it-could-already-be-too-late-some-teams-make-playoffs
Someone posted that after the Montreal game, but thanks for reposting because I think it got lost. I always wonder at the interpretation of these sort of stats. The basic truth is that if you are a bad team you probably won't get many points early in the season, or late, or in the middle. So what this analysis mostly proves is that bad teams usually start poorly and then don't make the playoffs.
What this stat means if it is more interesting than that is harder to analyze: do good or at least decent teams that start poorly in just the first 7 games doom their chances? Further, if you really want to have a useful analysis, tell me how often do teams that make the playoffs have any 7-game stretch with 8 points or fewer.
That's harder to look up but I don't see why the MLS guys can't do it.

Someone posted that after the Montreal game, but thanks for reposting because I think it got lost. I always wonder at the interpretation of these sort of stats. The basic truth is that if you are a bad team you probably won't get many points early in the season, or late, or in the middle. So what this analysis mostly proves is that bad teams usually start poorly and then don't make the playoffs.
What this stat means if it is more interesting than that is harder to analyze: do good or at least decent teams that start poorly in just the first 7 games doom their chances? Further, if you really want to have a useful analysis, tell me how often do teams that make the playoffs have any 7-game stretch with 8 points or fewer.
So I guess you've now canceled your Friday meetings and have ordered in lunch so that your analysis can begin? If you could disseminate your findings by halftime of tomorrow's first EPL match, we would all appreciate it.

So I guess you've now canceled your Friday meetings and have ordered in lunch so that your analysis can begin? If you could disseminate your findings by halftime of tomorrow's first EPL match, we would all appreciate it.
Well I would except I fear there is a strong chance that we are one of those bad teams that just starts poorly and doesn't make the playoffs so why bother.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Well I would except I fear there is a strong chance that we are one of those bad teams that just starts poorly and doesn't make the playoffs so why bother.
Fascinating..... I pegged you for a pragmatist, not a defeatist.

Also, what percentage of those 28 teams were established bad teams vs expansion teams or teams with comparable levels of roster turnover?

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think of Vancouver as the kind of standard MLS team. Well organized defense, and team focused attack without a superstar, like Toronto and Montreal have. Its the kind of team we need to learn how to beat consistently. We will likely have the possession again and face them sitting in well organized lines. We'll see Iraola again with the RJ injury, Probably some more shuffling with the third game in a week. Bravo has played two full games, Villa has played two full games. MIght see Ethan white for hernandez and might see Johansen.

I'm going to predict:
----------Johansen-----------
----Brillant--White----------
Iraola---------------Matarrita---
---------Pirlo---------------------
---Mix--------Macnamara---
Shelton--Mullins-----Taylor--

Here is the injury report for New York City FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps:

New York City FC

• RJ Allen - OUT
  • Connor Brandt - QUESTIONABLE
  • Jack Harrison - QUESTIONABLE
  • Frank Lampard - QUESTIONABLE
Vancouver Whitecaps

• Christian Dean - OUT
  • Deybi Flores - OUT

Based on injuries, would be interesting to see this lineup.

View attachment 4786
I think that is the lineup that gives us the best chance to win right now. Would prefer Allen at RB, but assume he is hurt. Watching Manneh roast Iraola could be painful.

I could also do with White (could happen) or Mena (likely not happening) in place of Hernandez, not so much because I am a Hernandez-hater, but more because I'm a bit bored of watching him and would welcome something new. I don't feel that strongly about that, though.

And I still am pretty keen on Mendoza. Two pretty decent performances after the horrific effort in Columbus. I may ultimately be the last one off that train.

How do people know this kind of stuff?
The Stoke Sentintel reported it a few days ago. Made its rounds on twitter, I'm still unsure where to draw the line on tweeting about family like that so I just didn't mention it.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Maybe it's just Parent's Weekend in MLS? Arrive Friday, take them to class practice to meet the professors coaches, eat at the dining hall training tables, meet the friends teammates, attend the Saturday House Party Match. Head home Sunday morning wondering what they're paying for how much their kids are making.

Status
Not open for further replies.