Home - 05/07 Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on this lineup?

F: Maxi, Villa, Harrison
M: Ring, Pirlo, Herrera
D: Wallace, Callens, Chanot, White

I don't trust Sweat against Villalba, and we need to watch the counter attack, so I would put two 8s next to Pirlo. Maxi is slowly playing better on the inside, but he might be even better as a winger and we play fluid enough for him to make runs wherever he wants to.

Thoughts on this lineup?

I don't trust Sweat against Villalba, and we need to watch the counter attack, so I would put two 8s next to Pirlo. Maxi is slowly playing better on the inside, but he might be even better as a winger and we play fluid enough for him to make runs wherever he wants to.

i dont know if trust pirlo against the young team...but i feel PV is gonna play him. id put maxi in mid and camargo in the LW role

i dont know if trust pirlo against the young team...but i feel PV is gonna play him. id put maxi in mid and camargo in the LW role

That's why I would shield him with extra muscle. The drawback is the entire left side would have one previous start in their positions, but as we know, Wallace has played LB and PV hinted at liking Maxi as a winger as well.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Thoughts on this lineup?

You didn't like Sweat? I thought he was at least RJ Allen on the left. I think Wallace has been pretty bad for the past month or more. I wouldn't mind an experiment of Maxi on the wing, to get Herrera in also, IF Pirlo has to play. He's the odd man out in my book.

Reactions: Ulrich
well i hope herrera starts since hes gonna be gone for the U20 WC....hes gonna miss out on the most crucial part of May games with all those midweek games
Same here. I'm trying to be at least cautiously optimistic that YH starts since he's gone for several games afterwards.

You didn't like Sweat? I thought he was at least RJ Allen on the left. I think Wallace has been pretty bad for the past month or more. I wouldn't mind an experiment of Maxi on the wing, to get Herrera in also, IF Pirlo has to play. He's the odd man out in my book.

Sweat was meh. If you watch the 4-minute highlights on MLS.soccer, he was nearly responsible for two goals. He's Ethan White at best, and Ethan White was previously our worst starter.

I would much rather than Herrera out there than Sweat, wouldn't you? This lineup accomplishes that.

Sweat was meh. If you watch the 4-minute highlights on MLS.soccer, he was nearly responsible for two goals. He's Ethan White at best, and Ethan White was previously our worst starter.

I would much rather than Herrera out there than Sweat, wouldn't you? This lineup accomplishes that.

Sweat or RJ?

If thats the choice, yes. I'd rather sweat than Pirlo though. And sweat than Wallace.

I get that a lot of people are tired of Pirlo's deficiencies, but this is straight crazy talk. Sweat is a career journeyman backup LB with one arguably successful start. I'm ok with sitting Pirlo a bit, turning him into a rotation player, but not because we can give more playing time to Ben Sweat.

I get that a lot of people are tired of Pirlo's deficiencies, but this is straight crazy talk. Sweat is a career journeyman backup LB with one arguably successful start. I'm ok with sitting Pirlo a bit, turning him into a rotation player, but not because we can give more playing time to Ben Sweat.
Haha, I'm not saying I'm desperate to get Sweat into the lineup, but you made the decision into Sweat or Herrera, I'm saying drop Pirlo from your lineup, not the others.

Exactly, he's a backup LB. No one is saying he should be surpass Matarrita or be the solution if Matarrita is sold, but he's fine for a few weeks. This week confirmed Pilro should not play again for us. He's done, and the midfield was world's better without him, offense and defense.

Reactions: Ulrich
Haha, I'm not saying I'm desperate to get Sweat into the lineup, but you made the decision into Sweat or Herrera, I'm saying drop Pirlo from your lineup, not the others.

Exactly, he's a backup LB. No one is saying he should be surpass Matarrita or be the solution if Matarrita is sold, but he's fine for a few weeks. This week confirmed Pilro should not play again for us. He's done, and the midfield was world's better without him, offense and defense.

Our midfield can be good with Pirlo, too. Rotate them. When Pirlo's in, play with four mids or have Herrera and Ring with him and move Maxi to LW. (Losing Herrera for 3 of the next 4 games sucks, so expect Pirlo to be playing.)

Our midfield can be good with Pirlo, too. Rotate them. When Pirlo's in, play with four mids or have Herrera and Ring with him and move Maxi to LW. (Losing Herrera for 3 of the next 4 games sucks, so expect Pirlo to be playing.)

I think this game is the perfect opportunity to use the 3-4-3 formation. Put two midfield destroyers out there to protect Pirlo and create havoc in the middle of the park. This should lead to many great opportunities if we can get it to our front 4 guys, especially given how poor Atlanta is on the counter attack and defending in general. Pirlo can pull the strings and still deliver balls over the top to Jack and Rodney. We may give up a couple but we should be able to put in 3 or 4 ourselves. Prepare for a shootout!

We won't do this because we never do, but I'd like to see us try a 3-5-1-1:

D: Chanot, Callens, White
M: Wallace/Camargo, Herrera, Ring (as #6), Morales, Harrison
F: Villa, Okoli with Villa playing underneath Okoli; Okoli furthest forward as a target/holdup striker and Villa as a False 9 striker/playmaker.

Villa has been dropping deep a lot lately, so may as well make it "official".

I think this game is the perfect opportunity to use the 3-4-3 formation. Put two midfield destroyers out there to protect Pirlo and create havoc in the middle of the park. This should lead to many great opportunities if we can get it to our front 4 guys, especially given how poor Atlanta is on the counter attack and defending in general. Pirlo can pull the strings and still deliver balls over the top to Jack and Rodney. We may give up a couple but we should be able to put in 3 or 4 ourselves. Prepare for a shootout!

I would agree, except for the fact that Atlanta plays down the wings. Villalba is a nightmare, I'd rather have a LB marking him.

Reactions: Shawn S
IF NYC wins, it will even its all time record at 30-30-17.
This is (or, more accurately, would be) the Club's MLS regular season record if NYC wins this weekend -- counting all official matches you'd have to add 4 additional losses (2 to NY Cosmos in US Open Cup and 2 to Toronto FC in MLS Cup Playoffs). The Club's overall record in all official matches is currently 29-34-17.

Reactions: mgarbowski
  • The first 5,000 fans in attendance will receive a NYCFC growth chart.
I saw the chart online but I can't find the link. Basically it's a picture of David Villa with inch markers and you need to hang the chart two feet from the ground.
This is (or, more accurately, would be) the Club's MLS regular season record if NYC wins this weekend -- counting all official matches you'd have to add 4 additional losses (2 to NY Cosmos in US Open Cup and 2 to Toronto FC in MLS Cup Playoffs). The Club's overall record in all official matches is currently 29-34-17.
True

Thoughts on this lineup?

I like it. Either this or a 3-4-3 with the same 11 guys.

Reactions: sbrylski
Status
Not open for further replies.