Home (Citi Field) - 10/22 Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said earlier that Maxi's form is the key for the Columbus game, but I really feel that the one who must work up his game is Wallace. I have no doubts of Harrison and Villa going to this game with all cylinders, but we need the Wallace of early season to really run over them. With Ring and Herrera behind them I foresee a proper trashing, as long as PV doesn't spoil it with the TPFKASHFJKA.
Is his form the key or is he the key that unlocks this squad? He may be our most important player going forward.

Reactions: Annagram
Perhaps this could be the grand farewell game for Pirlo. A solid back four of Mata-Callens-Brilliant-Struna, and in front of them Ring doing the hoovering, Herrera winning the balls for Pirlo, and for him to spread them to Maxi, Villa and Harrison could work out even without Wallace.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Perhaps this could be the grand farewell game for Pirlo. A solid back four of Mata-Callens-Brilliant-Struna, and in front of them Ring doing the hoovering, Herrera winning the balls for Pirlo, and for him to spread them to Maxi, Villa and Harrison could work out even without Wallace.
This game is far too important to risk starting Pirlo, so the chances are very good Vieira will do just that. I’d give him a swan song at the very end if we’re up by two, but short of that, the #2 seed and a bye is more important than any farewell minutes.

didn't the Joe Tolleson say it was the ref's first game as a head ref?
Yeah, something like he was a 4th official tapped to referee our match due to the amount of matches being played on the same day.

Last edited:
New York City FC v Columbus Crew
Citi Field (4:00PM ET)
REF: ISMAIL ELFATH
AR1: Brian Dunn
AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
4TH: Sorin Stoica
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic

Elfath previously refereed our 3-1 win vs. Atlanta (1 YC to NYCFC, 4 YC to Atlanta; o Red Cards; 0 Penalties). He also referred our 1-0 loss vs. Portland (2 YC to NYCFC, 4 YC to Porland, 0 Red Cards, 0 Penalties).

Reactions: Kjbert
I've talked this very combination up for a while. Have we even gotten a chance to see Pirlo in midfield with Herrera and Ring? The one time Maxi was played as an inverted winger was against Chicago, and Tommy was in midfield. So I don't think that's adequate proof that Maxi can't play there.

Unfortunately, I'm a little concerned that it's an almost completely untried system, and it's such an important game, that even I wouldn't be willing to run it out. And I'm still a massive Pirlo fan.

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
I have a friend who goes to a lot of practices who has informed me that PV is not very happy with how "lost" Lewis gets on the defensive side of the play.
Why does this not surprise me one bit? I don’t doubt it, but it only pisses me off more because it confirms what we all suspect.

Our coach doesn’t play our best players.

Oh eff right off. We need to try to win.

I've talked this very combination up for a while. Have we even gotten a chance to see Pirlo in midfield with Herrera and Ring? The one time Maxi was played as an inverted winger was against Chicago, and Tommy was in midfield. So I don't think that's adequate proof that Maxi can't play there.

Unfortunately, I'm a little concerned that it's an almost completely untried system, and it's such an important game, that even I wouldn't be willing to run it out. And I'm still a massive Pirlo fan.
Nothing about Maxi’s game suggests he’d be super-effective. He’s not beating too many for pace and he can’t shoot for shit.

He’s best carrying the ball through the midfield with the threat of scoring. From wide, there’s not even a threat.

He doesn’t cross and it wouldn’t matter if he did.

That formation idea sucks.

Reactions: Fake Jew

I would be interesting to see a 4-4-2 like this....

------------Villa---------------Harrison----
--------------------Moralez-----------------
---------Herrera--------------Pirlo--------
----------------------Ring-------------------
--Matarrita--Brillant--Callens--Struna--
--------------------Johnson-----------------

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Elfath previously refereed our 3-1 win vs. Atlanta (1 YC to NYCFC, 4 YC to Atlanta; o Red Cards; 0 Penalties). He also referred our 1-0 loss vs. Portland (2 YC to NYCFC, 4 YC to Porland, 0 Red Cards, 0 Penalties).

Elfath missed the DOGSO red to Guzman when he pulled down Maxi like three times before the foul was called. Eff him.

About starting Pirlo (and by no means am I advocating this - start Ring, Herrera and Maxi in central MF for gods sake), everybody has said Pirlo needs to be flanked by 2 piano carriers to run and cover for him. Ring and Herrera are that. It could work.

Nah, PV will switch it up by something crazy like starting Maxi on the wing and Shelton as the #10 just to eff with us.

Cmon PV don't overthink it. Wallace-Villa-Harrison and Maxi-Ring-Herrera.
giphy.gif

Nothing about Maxi’s game suggests he’d be super-effective. He’s not beating too many for pace and he can’t shoot for shit.

He’s best carrying the ball through the midfield with the threat of scoring. From wide, there’s not even a threat.

He doesn’t cross and it wouldn’t matter if he did.

That formation idea sucks.
Midas is back. I was starting to get concerned.

He's best dropping between lines to collect the ball forward with the threat of scoring, I think we can agree on that. But I don't agree that he needs to be doing that centrally.

Of course he doesn't cross. He's rarely in wide areas in his current role.

You don't need a ton of physicality to score off crosses if you can outsmart the defense, and we don't have many smarter players than Maxi.

If we can hold up the ball long enough then our full backs can provide the width. Inverted wingers are a common aspect of many functional systems at this point.

I'm just saying that hypothetically it is amazing. But I'm not saying we try to pull that off against Columbus, when our last known good formation is more than adequate to prevail.

Midas is back. I was starting to get concerned.
I just said the idea sucks. Would it be nicer if I added "imo"? Because I thought that part was obvious.

Why would we voluntarily weaken our best area? We have no basis for believing the suggested shape and tactics would work. Seems folly to try it in what amounts to a playoff match.

So seems like we agree as to practical import.

ying that hypothetically it is amazing. But I'm not saying we try to pull that off against Columbus, when our last known good formation is more than adequate to prevail

Status
Not open for further replies.