Home - RBNJ 7/03

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think any lag in attendance will be mostly due to the holiday weekend. I had to go pretty far down my buddy list because everyone will be away. [EDITED TO DELETE SHAMELESS BRAG]

Last edited:
Reactions: twsj91 and Lasker
Even with Lampard, Iraola and Pirlo in midfield, I'm worried the press will still steamroll us. It was just beyond effective last time, and really beat us down from the opening whistle. However, I think the fact that our midfield was rather inexperienced last time caused the press to be so effective. With Lampard, Pirlo, and Iraola, you have 3 largely more experienced players. Hopefully they can shake off the press and not immediately give it back.

On the other hand, I also think it's our formation that basically handed RB the ball in dangerous areas last game. With a high press team like RB, us playing with width in a 4-3-3 is dangerous. If the 3 mids can handle the press, get out of it, and quickly transition out to the wide players, then we might stand a chance, but our small field almost cancels out width. Those pressing RB players don't have very far to run to close that wide player down.

We all know we'll see a 4-3-3, but I think we need to be more compact. I'd even go for something like this (would play like a 5-3-2, or even a 4-4-2 to absorb the press in our third). I know, I'm crazy, and we'll see a spread out 4-3-3 with 4 players basically standing on the sidelines watching our midfield get crunched like Jon Snow before littlefinger showed up.

Edit: not sure why this is so big. I tried scaling it down but no dice.

upload_2016-6-28_9-0-3.png

Last edited:
Even with Lampard, Iraola and Pirlo in midfield, I'm worried the press will still steamroll us. It was just beyond effective last time, and really beat us down from the opening whistle. However, I think the fact that our midfield was rather inexperienced last time caused the press to be so effective. With Lampard, Pirlo, and Iraola, you have 3 largely more experienced players. Hopefully they can shake off the press and not immediately give it back.

On the other hand, I also think it's our formation that basically handed RB the ball in dangerous areas last game. With a high press team like RB, us playing with width in a 4-3-3 is dangerous. If the 3 mids can handle the press, get out of it, and quickly transition out to the wide players, then we might stand a chance, but our small field almost cancels out width. Those pressing RB players don't have very far to run to close that wide player down.

We all know we'll see a 4-3-3, but I think we need to be more compact. I'd even go for something like this (would play like a 5-3-2, or even a 4-4-2 to absorb the press in our third). I know, I'm crazy, and we'll see a spread out 4-3-3 with 4 players basically standing on the sidelines watching our midfield get crunched like John Snow before littlefinger showed up.

View attachment 5170

Interesting choice for keeper.

We all know we'll see a 4-3-3, but I think we need to be more compact. I'd even go for something like this (would play like a 5-3-2, or even a 4-4-2 to absorb the press in our third). I know, I'm crazy, and we'll see a spread out 4-3-3 with 4 players basically standing on the sidelines watching our midfield get crunched like Jon Snow before littlefinger showed up.

View attachment 5170
If the team ever played that formation, which I doubt they would, TMac would not see the field and AJ would take his spot. That is effectively a wingback role with free reign to mauraude up the flank - there's no way TMac can cover the ground and lock it down defensively.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If the team ever played that formation, which I doubt they would, TMac would not see the field and AJ would take his spot. That is effectively a wingback role with free reign to mauraude up the flank - there's no way TMac can cover the ground and lock it down defensively.

Yeah that one last spot was iffy. That's why there's so many other options listed. I just figured slot in the guy who's been scoring, but you're right, he'd pass out covering that much space. RJ would do pretty well there, and add some defensive cover as well. Also agree that we'd never play it, just daydreaming here.

Not necessarily because you could just switch TMac and Harrison. When TMac was with Chivas he played a few games paired up top with Cubo Torres prior to his injury and played very well in that spot. If you don't do that then I think you are correct that RJ could fill that right mid/wingback spot. In the end I think its a moot point because I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that PV will go to that formation.

Hate to say it but if we roll with our Iraola/Pirlo/Lampard midfield I think a lot of it will come down to what the ref does the first few times one of the RB players just throws one of our guys down instead of trying to defend. It's ugly soccer but it works for the refs are letting it go. Hopefully they throw a few cards early to clamp down on it and for them to try to beat us with soccer skill rather than a WWE audition. And if someone puts the bottom of their boot into Pirlos knee again they better see red.

I think our backline killed us last time as well. Very in effective in clearing the ball or getting up to midfield. Which is why we had so much posession in our own half. I wouldn't even mind him just telling Saunders to boot it every time. Don't pass out of the back and get it out.
Have to do that if they press with so many numbers, sucks that our midfield and forwards have no aerial ability to win those balls.

Reactions: gbservis
Have to do that if they press with so many numbers, sucks that our midfield and forwards have no aerial ability to win those balls.

I assume Hernandez comes back but it would be interesting to see what Mena could do if he could figure things out. It's too bad his soccer IQ, positioning and team defensive understanding are all so limited. It was sad and funny the last game when he was out of position and Pirlo kept passing it to where he was supposed to be and making him chase it. His size, speed and 1:1 skills are all better than Hernandez. He also looks much more comfortable on ball than Hernandez. Although I do think Hernandez has gotten better on ball as the year has gone by. As a CB you can be a bit undersized if you are fast or tall and a step slow, the problem with Hernandez is that he's both short and slow. Can we combine Hernandez's soccer IQ with Mena's physical abilities?

I assume Hernandez comes back but it would be interesting to see what Mena could do if he could figure things out. It's too bad his soccer IQ, positioning and team defensive understanding are all so limited. It was sad and funny the last game when he was out of position and Pirlo kept passing it to where he was supposed to be and making him chase it. His size, speed and 1:1 skills are all better than Hernandez. He also looks much more comfortable on ball than Hernandez. Although I do think Hernandez has gotten better on ball as the year has gone by. As a CB you can be a bit undersized if you are fast or tall and a step slow, the problem with Hernandez is that he's both short and slow. Can we combine Hernandez's soccer IQ with Mena's physical abilities?
I'd love to see +/- stats for hernandez vs mena going back to last year. Mena's tackle last week (vs J jones?) was beautiful, Hernandez would have been fouling the shit out of him the whole run.

I'd love to see +/- stats for hernandez vs mena going back to last year. Mena's tackle last week (vs J jones?) was beautiful, Hernandez would have been fouling the shit out of him the whole run.

I agree, no way Hernandez makes that play. I'm not sure he even gets across in time and I'm almost certain if he did by the time he got there his only option would have been to take the guy down from behind. Going even further with it, how many times have we killed Brillant for a mistake that could have been covered by a more athletic CB partner the way Mena covered on that play.

Edit: I've seen Brillant cover for a Hernandez mistake, can't recall ever seen Hernandez bail out Brillant.

Already super excited for this game! I have a German colleague coming to his first NYCFC game and he's raring to see our golden oldies and pick up a shirt. Also, my RBNJ supporting mate that came last time is banned from coming, can't have a repeat of that.

Reactions: Goodfella
Already super excited for this game! I have a German colleague coming to his first NYCFC game and he's raring to see our golden oldies and pick up a shirt. Also, my RBNJ supporting mate that came last time is banned from coming, can't have a repeat of that.
The one you took to the supporters section? What happened?

Pro Referees assignments...I've never heard this guy...

New York City v New York Red Bulls
Yankee Stadium (12:00pm ET)
REF: HILARIO GRAJEDA
AR1: Ian Anderson
AR2: James Conlee
4TH: Geoff Gamble

After a bit of research, he's ranking very low on PRO Ref Power Rankings...
http://5f33.blogspot.com/2016/04/april-2016-mls-referee-power-rankings.html

And has a history of missing obvious calls against the Red Bulls...
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...-taken-down-karl-ouimette-while-breaking-goal

Reactions: adam

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...-taken-down-karl-ouimette-while-breaking-goal
Great.... We're playing a team that thinks the sport is mixed martial arts and we have a ref that can't make the obvious calls. The game will either end 11v7 with RB gets 4 red cards or they're going to get away with hack&slash tackles leading to easy goals.... But my money is on Grajeda letting the rough play go.

We have to find a way to break down what will inevitably be their 5 man midfield and full field press. I think unfortunately the New Jersey team is better suited for the narrow field.

We need to be quicker on the ball and stretch them wide or put balls over the top to Villa, Mendoza, Tmac and Harrison.

The Viera model of playing out of the back and keeping possession is tough against their formation last time. Our D was overwhelmed by the press. Something they hadn't seen all season up to that point.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Hilario is awful. I expect a pk or two in thia game that are questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.