Home - RBNY 05/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ach it's fine. It's just a football game. I did tell him I couldn't guarantee his safety if he wears anything Red Bull!
Hopefully your friend looks like this:

I mean you're joking, but I would fully expect anyone who wore Red Bulls gear in the supporters section to get in a fight. Most people can take a joke, but all it takes is one person to ruin your day.
:rolleyes: let's not get carried away. He's a Liverpool supporter who likes the corporate team because he's from Jersey, doesn't actually go to any games though and likely doesn't own any RB get up.

This is an opportunity for him to watch a good team in a great environment and maybe even switch allegiance! Also he's a big fan of weed more than anything else, so the chances of any fights happening by us are slim.

Let's just remember folks.

When Red Bulls send their players, they're not sending their best. They're dirty players with dangerous slide tackles, players who dive in the box. They're bringing in goons who look for yellow cards, and some, I assume, are good people.

Here's my preview of tomorrow's match. Such an opportunity for NYCFC - I really hope we seize it.

Good stuff. I like our matchup of Bravo against Sasha.

I stupidly forgot about the effectiveness of their high press and what that means for our struggles to play out of the back. I may have to borrow some diapers from our toddler to wear during the match.

Good stuff. I like our matchup of Bravo against Sasha.

I stupidly forgot about the effectiveness of their high press and what that means for our struggles to play out of the back. I may have to borrow some diapers from our toddler to wear during the match.
The press is borderline terrifying. There is a non-zero chance this goes badly, quickly.

I agree that Bravo could really do a good job marking Sacha and/or cutting off the passing lanes. Part of me would like to see him clean him out early (hard, but fair), but the risk of getting carded is probably not worth it.

Just a reminder that Lampard said this:

You say it's a serious place but I did see you have a chuckle when the New York Red Bulls' fans held up the banner of you and Andrea Pirlo with walking sticks...

"That was nice. I looked at Pirlo before the game and we pointed at the big banner there. I was gutted because I went clear through early in the game but hit my shot wide. I was desperate to score and do the old man with the walking stick celebration."
So as much disdain as I have for the man, it's less than my disdain for Red Bulls and their supporters. I'd love to see this.

Someone throw his man a cane if he score tomorrow.

Lamps is off of the injury report. Looks like he's a go.

Here is the injury report for New York City FC vs. Red Bulls:

New York City FC
  • Connor Brandt - OUT
Red Bulls
  • Damien Perrinelle - OUT
Well, this looks different...

Reactions: FootyLovin
I hope PV can use his derby experience to fire up the team for tomorrow's game. They came out so flat last year like they were playing friendlies while RB came out like they were playing a WC final. I wanna see intensity from our guys.

I listened to the MLS podcast and the Men in Blazers where they had interviews with PV, Mix, Dax, Marsch and Grella. Good listen. Couple of things that stood out:

-PV (and to a lesser extent Mix) seemed more laid back about the game than Dax/Marsch/Grella. There was a moment where PV was asked about the significance of it and he said something like "it is 3 points" while Dax and Marsch were using phrases like the "biggest game of the year, hit em hard, etc.".
-I don't think PV doesn't care about the rivalry, but he wants to maintain his players focused rather than the RB camp which is all about emotion. Could be European coolness, but could present an opportunity; if things go against RB early, could snowball and NYCFC needs to have a killer instinct.
-NYCFC went straight from the airport to media day at Twitter. PV was not happy, Mix was fine. (Pretty much in sync with their personalities).
-Dax was talking about how he wants to "lay into tackles" early. Make sure the ref knows this.
-Grella is still living off his nutmeg on Frank last year. He does seem like a down to earth guy though.
-Marsch talks like a know it all.

I hope PV can use his derby experience to fire up the team for tomorrow's game. They came out so flat last year like they were playing friendlies while RB came out like they were playing a WC final. I wanna see intensity from our guys.

I listened to the MLS podcast and the Men in Blazers where they had interviews with PV, Mix, Dax, Marsch and Grella. Good listen. Couple of things that stood out:

-PV (and to a lesser extent Mix) seemed more laid back about the game than Dax/Marsch/Grella. There was a moment where PV was asked about the significance of it and he said something like "it is 3 points" while Dax and Marsch were using phrases like the "biggest game of the year, hit em hard, etc.".
-I don't think PV doesn't care about the rivalry, but he wants to maintain his players focused rather than the RB camp which is all about emotion. Could be European coolness, but could present an opportunity; if things go against RB early, could snowball and NYCFC needs to have a killer instinct.
-NYCFC went straight from the airport to media day at Twitter. PV was not happy, Mix was fine. (Pretty much in sync with their personalities).
-Dax was talking about how he wants to "lay into tackles" early. Make sure the ref knows this.
-Grella is still living off his nutmeg on Frank last year. He does seem like a down to earth guy though.

When Vieira was asked about derby matches he said he never thought of Tottenham as a derby match because Arsenal knew they would always win. The matches against Manchester United were the rivalries because they were the best and to be the best you have to play the best. Vieira should tell the players, "You're New York, they're New Jersey, beat them like the trash they come from."

Last edited:
Reactions: canchon and Ulrich
I watched the condensed CHI-NJRB game during lunch. The goal they scored was nice but atrocious defending by CHI. Grella was wide open and jogging for about 10 seconds before he got the ball. Nobody bothered to track back. NJRB didn't force Johnson into a single save all game. No woodwork. Hardly any opportunities. NJRB backline looked a mess. I am sure they will play better against us, but it was a lame showing against a Chicago team that is really not good.

Marsh acts like a self-important smug chump. It'd have traction if he backed up last year with the Cup and not crapped the bed so badly this year, but he's looking like the beneficiary of a unfamiliar style that's been adapted to & more importantly, Miazga whom he relied on so heavily to right the D last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.