Inferiority Complex

I wish I could go back and find it but í don't know how. I did a poll on the TR facebook group page of what color everyone wanted the home kit to be. "City blue" won by a land slide. Now people are bitching. The shirts were blue, scarfs? Blue! Hats? Blue! Blue in the crest... Didnt see Blue jersey coming though. How is pinstripe original? Anyone who was just a fan because of yankee association and now wants to sell tickets and jump off isnt a fan of the sport in the first place.

Does city blue have to mean exactly the same? You should have done that facebook poll.

God forbid anyone disagrees with the choice of our inaugural jerseys.
Maybe it's because we care.

Whereas the "deal with it crowd" come off as company shills who I'm sure CFG would love to clone and fill stadiums with. Minion much?
I couldn't resist:

n_manchester_city_supporters-7228796.jpeg

I couldn't resist:

n_manchester_city_supporters-7228796.jpeg
Who the fuck made that!

I do sympathise with you lot (me being an English fan, whereas you being the hardcore US support). I expressed my views earlier that I'm not too happy with the kit, but I'm also not too disappointed.

I see where you who are against it are coming from, in the most part. I also thought there should be more differentiation between the two. But I can assure you, this won't be a farm club, or whatever you want to call it. CFG will get that link right, eventually. heck, they're even having problems with us over in the UK. A lot of our traditional support are becoming disillusioned with what our match day experience is becoming. (I must add, that this in the main part isn't down to CFG, but they've had a role).

I just hope this doesn't put off a lot of people. I'll admit myself, I'll be a casual fan; I won't be getting up at stupid times to watch NYCFC but at the same time I'll support them as much as I can. We need that strong base of fans, which it looks like we have, I just hope many haven't been put off.

unacceptable how? Because they didn't consult with the Third Rail before designing a kit that they have the right to design however the hell they want? Did you reach into your pockets & produce $100M to have a club in NYC? Make it right? I think they'll do that with their on the pitch success. You mention Lampard, let's throw Villa in there too. You think Jason Kreis couldn't pulled off those signings by himself? Some of you need to get a grip. It's a goddamn shirt, designed for a club who is one part of a bigger picture. DEAL WITH IT
Unacceptable because:
1. The reveal was horrendous, gimmicky and ridiculous overall. I would have much rather them just release the kit via twitter/ email / carrier pigeon then have that abomination of a 'reveal'...they didnt reveal shit
2. NYCFC has been touting the club as a team "For the city" "5 boroughs, 1 City" etc etc what they showed during that presentation yesterday had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with New York City minus the badge on the chest.
3. The kits. While I see why you (a MCFC supporter) love the kits, could you rationally think of WHY some people in NYC dont like the kits? We have supporters of NYCFC that support teams other than MCFC...All it really took was for them to put a little thought into the jerseys and it would have been 1000x better. Maybe a little dark blue on the shoulders, even that SLIGHT change would have made our kits unique.

I mean its pretty simple to see why people are disappointed right?

Leeds changed their strip in the 60's to all white to look more like Real Madrid. Around the same time City played in a black and red striped away kit to replicate AC Milan. It's now the supporters favoured choice for away colours. It didn't mean Leeds supporters had to support Madrid, or City supporters had to support Milan. Same with NYCFC.

Since day 1 the CFG has made it fairly clear that one of the benefits of the association between the CFG clubs will be shared branding (name and colours). Melbourne would be playing in sky blue right now if it wasn't for the FFA and almost certainly will be at some point in the future. If anyone is struggling to reconcile their support for NYCFC with its close association with MCFC I'm only surprised that it has taken this long to realise it.

Last edited:
Unacceptable because:
1. The reveal was horrendous, gimmicky and ridiculous overall. I would have much rather them just release the kit via twitter/ email / carrier pigeon then have that abomination of a 'reveal'...they didnt reveal shit
2. NYCFC has been touting the club as a team "For the city" "5 boroughs, 1 City" etc etc what they showed during that presentation yesterday had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with New York City minus the badge on the chest.
3. The kits. While I see why you (a MCFC supporter) love the kits, could you rationally think of WHY some people in NYC dont like the kits? We have supporters of NYCFC that support teams other than MCFC...All it really took was for them to put a little thought into the jerseys and it would have been 1000x better. Maybe a little dark blue on the shoulders, even that SLIGHT change would have made our kits unique.

I mean its pretty simple to see why people are disappointed right?
Sharing colors is unacceptable but taking advantage of CFG's infinite resources is ok. Makes sense

Reactions: Paul and Drainyoo
Maybe it's because we care.

Whereas the "deal with it crowd" come off as company shills who I'm sure CFG would love to clone and fill stadiums with. Minion much?
Your post is a joke. NYCFC is one cog in a much larger picture. Stop missing the forest for the trees.

Disagreeing is one thing. That's totally fine and we should all question the team when it's warranted. Overreacting and being hysterical and threatening to not support the team is another. Big difference and that's my beef. Totally fine to not like the jersey. It's totally fine to think it's an MCFC clone. It's totally fine to be dissapointed. But I have to question the intentions and loyalty of someone giving up on the team because of the kit. These folks won't be around long if that's the case because there will be much darker days at some point.

Disagreeing is one thing. That's totally fine and we should all question the team when it's warranted. Overreacting and being hysterical and threatening to not support the team is another. Big difference and that's my beef. Totally fine to not like the jersey. It's totally fine to think it's an MCFC clone. It's totally fine to be dissapointed. But I have to question the intentions and loyalty of someone giving up on the team because of the kit. These folks won't be around long if that's the case because there will be much darker days at some point.

People are free to leave, I agree, that's on them. As far as overeacting, the passion works both ways I guess. Blind support will lead to indifference from fans and club alike. There are enough "my club can do no wrong" fans out there, the worst in my opinion. Now is the time to let the club know that we expect more going forward.
Many of the expectations for this club are a direct result of statements and actions put into place by NYCFC, not by the fans.
If you think blatant, unimaginative, corporate branding as the flagship jersey isn't warranted as disappointment, then we just disagree.
But don't be surprised when the club continues to ignore larger issues down the road like ticket pricing, attendance, stadium experience etc.
I'm not going anywhere, I'll venture that I will probably be at most if not all games this season. I have skin in the game and not armchair quarterbacking.

an inferiority complex? Get over yourself! I couldn't name more than 1 player on your entire roster and pay no attention to your league.

I'd be just as pissed if we were copying the Des Moines Menace jerseys as I am copying MCFC. It has nothing to do with feeling inferior, and everything to do with wanting a UNIQUE brand for my club.

The only complex is the superiority complex of the original poster. I get where he is coming from his perspective, but I'm not quite sure he gets our perspective. Say the Yankees buy a team in the Dominican winter league and that team unveils a uniform of white pinstripes and interlocking logo on a blue cap. I go to their message board and their fans are all like no we don't want to look like the Yankees we want our own identity, corporate nonsense blah blah. At first I would be like damn why don't they like us? I take some offense to that. But then you think of their perspective and how they want to differentiate themselves a little bit and not be constantly compared and measured against the bigger club. It gives more ammunition to the media and opposing fans with the whole minor league label when we should be celebrating a big day in the history of the club. That's not an inferiority complex, it's an ambition to be unique.

We respect MCFC greatly and the resources of the partnership are massive, these thoughts are nothing against Manchester just to be clear. Yea this minor outrage is over a jersey, not too big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But you only have one chance to make a first impression and take hold of a great chance to build a brand. It was a missed opportunity.

Last edited:
What upsets me most is that the club did such a good job at taking the right steps to show that we weren't Man City jr, that this club was welcome to all NYers, that you didn't have to be a MCFC fan to be a NYCFC fan, that this club was going to be what the red bulls wasn't, that we could be part of CFG and still be NYC and they failed one of the biggest steps to establish that. They saw the banana peel, were repeatedly warned about it yet still walked on it and slipped.

Now with the perception damaged, how do you recover from that? You've lost the good faith you had built with people on the fence. Ask yourself, if the jersey was revealed on the day they started selling season tickets would we have sold 11K seats? Do you think from today on we'll sell as many as we could have if the jersey was at little more different? If the answer is no then yesterday was like like Gerrard slipping at Anfield. I hope they right it.

Yesterday was a step in the wrong direction. We had been doing it right. That's what's most disappointing. If we had been all MCFC all along no one would care. But you did the right things so far and now you've ruined your previous hard work and your credibility. We've become the new league laughingstock, the least we could do now is win the MLS cup every year.

I love how many marketing and design people are in these forums. Hopefully the City Group reads these boards and hires all the geniuses on here whose ideas are better than theirs. LOL.

Reactions: grandsolo
I love how many marketing and design people are in these forums. Hopefully the City Group reads these boards and hires all the geniuses on here whose ideas are better than theirs. LOL.
I've seen many fan-made jerseys I prefer to the official one

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders

Serious question: We have a difference of opinion, it happens. Why does every post you make have to be so condescending and confrontational?

Serious question: We have a difference of opinion, it happens. Why does every post you make have to be so condescending and confrontational?
Taking the lead from the "NYC is the God of cities" & we hate anything to do with ownership (except their deep pockets of course) crowd

Reactions: MrE
Clearly we have a difference of opinion. There is a flood of negativity and complaining by people on the boards and it brings out more negativity which I try not to go to but it's incredibly frustrating.

On what should have been another great day for this club (which have been nonstop for us) the shirt announcement is met with outcry from the supporters who aren't happy with not getting what they wanted even though they knew it was coming.

I'll work on being more positive when I see more positivity. We're supposed to be in this #together That is a tenent of City supporters. I look forward to more of those days with you.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders