International Duty 2016

Yup, if Khiry is the best the u23s have, that's sad for the national team pool.
Khiry had a very nice first game, 1 goal and 1 assist - sure he wasn't great last match, but Mendoza has not yet scored or assisted either.

Everyone is jumping on Shelton, kid has talent - and he's just that, a 22yr old kid. He will hopefully progress

Khiry had a very nice first game, 1 goal and 1 assist - sure he wasn't great last match, but Mendoza has not yet scored or assisted either.

Everyone is jumping on Shelton, kid has talent - and he's just that, a 22yr old kid. He will hopefully progress

I agree. Khiry is young and learning. He still lacks confidence. Probably in part from the star power he plays with. If he learns to trust himself and show some leadership he can be a very good player. He has improved some of the first touch problems he had last year. Happy to see at least that dedication to progress.

Just to keep this thread on course, as expected (and as known by likely all here), Mix and Matarrita will both be involved in WCQs for the next two weeks.

Their absences mean we will be without two of our most important 3 or 4 players. I'd argue our two most important, but not in this thread.

It's going to be tough to keep out goals given the amount of work both put in to give us any sort of resistance in defense.

Last edited:
Khiry is a textbook example of American Soccer. Kid has pace, relies on that to exploit high school and college kids, then makes it to the pro's but did not develop his overall game enough during those important years. Now, he's got pace but his overall skill and "brain for the game" is well below the average MLS level. Will he be able to catch up or will he never be more than speed off the bench? I hope he can make it, but i've seen his story before.

Shelton, Diskerud and Matarrita out.

Step up Mendoza, Ballouchy and Martinez.

Reactions: Ulrich
Is there anyway CFG pays Puerto Rico to call up an random "beloved" Goal keeper who makes dramatic saves and likes to kick the ball very far up field (mostly to the other team?)

i think i remember reading in twitter or here that he was not able to accept call ups anymore, something about US soccer not letting him. i think he only got one or two call ups.

its one game vs new england but its a must win now....gonna suck not getting close to max points on FOUR home games.

At least New England will be without Lee Nguyen.... as he rolls, so does NE. I think we have a deeper squad than NE, and if we can plug in the three you mentioned with the possibility of Lampard/Poku, then we should be fine - granted, our biggest problem is that the team just needs to remember to aim for where the keeper isn't and not right at him.

At least New England will be without Lee Nguyen.... as he rolls, so does NE. I think we have a deeper squad than NE, and if we can plug in the three you mentioned with the possibility of Lampard/Poku, then we should be fine - granted, our biggest problem is that the team just needs to remember to aim for where the keeper isn't and not right at him.
To be honest I'm a big advocate for just shooting the damn ball when you can. Put it on target and more often than not the keeper will cough it up for an easy tap in.

Reactions: Ulrich
To be honest I'm a big advocate for just shooting the damn ball when you can. Put it on target and more often than not the keeper will cough it up for an easy tap in.
That, and wingers should never wait to cross the ball, but they should send it in hard (like shot-on-goal hard) and low off the ground. It's nearly impossible for defenders running hard towards the net while tracking the forwards to clear the ball away from the goal mouth if they make contact - the probability of an own-goal goes way up along with the possibility of a tap-in by the forwards. Plus, the GK has to gauge whether hurling in to the oncoming players is better than staying back to defend a shot.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
We lose 3 guys and New England loses one, but how much those departures cost depends on who replaces them in the lineup.
  • Shelton for Mendoza - probably a wash; it will be interesting to see how Mendoza does over the course of a full game.
  • Mix for Lampard - Mix has been terrific, so this is a slight downgrade, particularly given Lampard's lack of match fitness. Still, if you are replacing a player with a guy like Lampard, life is not that bad. The biggest issue is probably Mix's workrate and help in defense.
  • Matarrita for ??? - Whether this is Mendoza or one of the CBs is an interesting question, but clearly it's going to be a big loss. Matarrita has probably been our most reliable defender, and has been dangerous on the attack. He can't be replaced by one guy.
New England, on the other hand, loses their best player, Nguyen, and I can't imagine the replacement is going to be anywhere near as good.

Overall, City and NE each have one big loss. We also have a couple of tradeoffs that are equal, or close to it.

Reactions: adam
BTW, the full MLS list has finally been updated: oddly Khiry Shelton and any other Olympic qualifiers are not listed at all.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/16/mls-international-call-ups-march-fifa-window

I get that it is billed as a FIFA World Cup list, but the Olympic stuff is happening at the same time and there seems not to be a separate list.
this leads me to ask once again, why for the expansion priority draft is there the allocation selection order (i.e. the order in which teams can sign USMNT players returning to the MLS). What is the advantage to having a USMNT player if on a few occasions they are going to miss weeks plus potentially get injured on international duty. Is there some kind of salary cap benefit given to national team player? or is it purely notoriety/marketing?

this leads me to ask once again, why for the expansion priority draft is there the allocation selection order (i.e. the order in which teams can sign USMNT players returning to the MLS). What is the advantage to having a USMNT player if on a few occasions they are going to miss weeks plus potentially get injured on international duty. Is there some kind of salary cap benefit given to national team player? or is it purely notoriety/marketing?
It's pretty much your last guess, plus USMNT players are on the whole better than domestic non US team players, so it sort of spreads that layer of talent around.

It's pretty much your last guess, plus USMNT players are on the whole better than domestic non US team players, so it sort of spreads that layer of talent around.
ok, but its still odd to force them to be distributed. I would think the salary cap system would force this anyhow. I have to imagine everyone on the USMNT is making at least 500k+ in salary. Not like one team could afford more then 2 or 3 without making them DPs.

ok, but its still odd to force them to be distributed. I would think the salary cap system would force this anyhow. I have to imagine everyone on the USMNT is making at least 500k+ in salary. Not like one team could afford more then 2 or 3 without making them DPs.

Not necessarily. Ethan Finlay made $125k last year, Juan Aguadelo $400k, Darlington Nagbe $244k, etc.

I'm cherry picking a bit (Agudelo is probably not fair to include here, not sure when he was last capped), but I think you're overestimating MLS salaries.

If anyone feels like being more thorough, current MLS players with USMNT caps are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...players_with_national_team_caps#United_States.

I think it's heavily marketing based. Doesn't matter much for NYCFC but for the smaller clubs that don't spend the $$ to get big name international players with their DP slots even one relatively well known USMNT payer is huge for ticket sales and marketing. The world cup is the biggest draw for new soccer fans in the US, casual fans are much more likely to get see their local MLS team if it has a fews players they know from the world cup on it.