International Duty 2016

Puerto Rico has a game Saturday but apparently Hernandez won't be allowed to join PR for it.

The rest of the PRNT met on Monday so either this was a late call up or NYCFC just told them off and won't release him until after the game. Vieira is a fan of Hernandez so it's no surprise.
Interesting - it must have been a late call-up, because if the game is during an international break, clubs have to release players to national teams, unless there is an injury or the player declines the invitation.

Interesting - it must have been a late call-up, because if the game is during an international break, clubs have to release players to national teams, unless there is an injury or the player declines the invitation.

i was going to say this too, technically PR can say to FIFA ,hey nycfc wont let me take that player, and they would be right.

....so when is saunders going to get called up?

Reactions: NYCFCfan
i was going to say this too, technically PR can say to FIFA ,hey nycfc wont let me take that player, and they would be right.

....so when is saunders going to get called up?
They would be right only if they called him up within the required amount of notification. They may have missed the window for Saturday but got it submitted in time for Tuesday.

It's also possible Hernandez said "no" to Saturday and "yes" to Tuesday.
That would make some sense. If I'm Hernandez and I'm currently starting, I definitely don't want to be missing games, particularly if this is a team that is often playing with one CB and has four guys for that spot.

In the same vein, I think this international break came at a terrible time for Shelton. He may have lost his spot anyway after getting pulled off at half-time, but it is possible he would have gotten one more go

Reactions: Ulrich
That would make some sense. If I'm Hernandez and I'm currently starting, I definitely don't want to be missing games, particularly if this is a team that is often playing with one CB and has four guys for that spot.

In the same vein, I think this international break came at a terrible time for Shelton. He may have lost his spot anyway after getting pulled off at half-time, but it is possible he would have gotten one more go

it depends how well mendoza takes advantage of his opportunity ( assuming he starts)

Reactions: Ulrich
it depends how well mendoza takes advantage of his opportunity ( assuming he starts)
And if Mendoza can stay on the right side an not switch with Taylor during the run of play. Once he did that, he looked lost - like he couldn't figure out how to cut to the right, so he'd stop dead and pass backwards.

Here's your list of NYCFC players on international duty.

Mix Diskerud -
USMNT vs Guatemala 7pm (ESPN2, UniMas)

Jason Hernandez - Puerto Rico vs Guyana 7:30pm

Khiry Shelton -
U-23 USMNT vs Colombia 9:30pm (ESPN2)

Ronald Matarrita - Costa Rica vs Jamaica 10pm

The Costa Rica - Jamaica game will be tape delayed on beIN Sport tonight at 11pm for those interested.

Well, I got this one 100% wrong. Hadn't anticipated that Taylor and Mendoza would get called out by Vieira in the press conference for failing to cover defensively. Other than the possibility that we now see Villa more on the wing, I'd say Khiry was well served by not having anything to do with Saturday's effort.

Mix made the 40-man preliminary roster for Copa America.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...io-usa-preliminary-40-man-roster?sf25459933=1

Camp opens May 16, so he is available for the DC game and then will miss the next 2 (and maybe the NJRB derby)
Final 23 roster is due on May 20th. With camp opening on the 16th, He's essentially either on the team and missing games or he won't be on the team and we'll have him. Minimum 4 days with MNT. Hopefully that's the max too.

Final 23 roster is due on May 20th. With camp opening on the 16th, He's essentially either on the team and missing games or he won't be on the team and we'll have him. Minimum 4 days with MNT. Hopefully that's the max too.
I want to hope for this and I also hate rooting for Mix not to make the NT. Just feels wrong.

I want to hope for this and I also hate rooting for Mix not to make the NT. Just feels wrong.
With the limited chances Mix gets on MNT duty, and those times are also played out of position, I'm fine being selfish and wanting Club first. Not that I don't want the MNT to do well, but not at the expense of Mix riding the bench and missing club games.

Reactions: FootyLovin
As much as I don't want Mix to miss time, I would be excited for him to get the call, especially with the recent missteps by the MNT and some unnecessary scapegoating aimed in his direction directly and indirectly. It would suck if he didn't play much after getting the call, but the call itself still would seem to be special and reassuring. I also think it's great for NYC to have a player feature nationally (even on the bench) even if the tangible benefits are not readily apparent.

As much as I don't want Mix to miss time, I would be excited for him to get the call, especially with the recent missteps by the MNT and some unnecessary scapegoating aimed in his direction directly and indirectly. It would suck if he didn't play much after getting the call, but the call itself still would seem to be special and reassuring. I also think it's great for NYC to have a player feature nationally (even on the bench) even if the tangible benefits are not readily apparent.

If that's the case, we should cut mix next season and sign a USMNT stater (contributer) with all the cap room he takes up. Kind of rediculous to care about a token USMNT player who doesn't see the field for the USMNT.

Reactions: FootyLovin
If that's the case, we should cut mix next season and sign a USMNT stater (contributer) with all the cap room he takes up. Kind of rediculous to care about a token USMNT player who doesn't see the field for the USMNT.
The truth is that I think it's more likely that he doesn't make the 23. But if he does, I don't think that token is the right way to describe anyone who is chosen to rep the national team. Selfishly, I don't want him missing time with club, but I root for our guys so I would be happy if he does.

Reactions: Gotham Gator