Leagues Cup - August 11 - Pumas (Home)

clear and . . . ., no.

giphy.gif
Exactly. Maybe they had a different angle that showed it clearly, but there’s no way that can be overturned with the angles we’ve seen so far.

It looks like it could possibly hit his arm. Or his chest, or his shoulder, I honestly don’t know. But I do know what we’ve seen is not clear and obvious.

We can complain about Ronny's subs, the odd choices for the PKs, the poor finishing, or any number of things, but screw that.

That game was stolen. Flat out stolen. The Santi goal happened right in front of me -- there is no handball there. Absolutely none. A complete phantom call. It just did not exist.

That game was stolen. I usually make fun of Lion with his conspiracy stuff, but that game was stolen. We played great. We bossed the game. We scored three goals, and only one of them counted. A complete sham. I'll never buy another ticket ever again for a CONCACAF game, because they are not on the level.

Reactions: Shwafta
FWIW this says "handball in the build up", so presumably ot in the twitter clip.

Reactions: danger
FWIW this says "handball in the build up", so presumably ot in the twitter clip.

OTOH maybe the writer looked at the replay and just figured it had to be somewhere on the buildup because it ain’t there.

Last edited:
OTOH maybe the writer looked at the replay and jus figured it had to be somewhere on the buildup because it ain’t there.
The writer has to be just assuming there and didn’t check because I didn’t see anything in the buildup that was close to touching anyone’s arm and that was incredibly clear and obvious.

Pumas had the ball, turned it over, and Keaton started the break, the ball basically staying on the ground the whole time.

Given the exhibition nature of the event, who is even responsible for the refs? It's not a good look for anyone for them to have no accountability.

Those were Jamaican referees last night. I remember them from the Gold Cup. CONCACAF must be responsible, and we got CONCACAF'd.
Was about to post something similar. My only question would be whether Leagues Cup is run - including ref assignments - directly by CONCACAF or as a joint venture of MLS and LigaMX under the indirect auspices of CONCACAF.

I wish we had another view of the Rodriguez goal, because I went Oliver Stone's JFK on that Twitter video, and there is no alteration of the trajectory of the ball from his right arm potentially hitting it. Bullshit call.

Regardless, we should have won that game 4-0. Pumas was one of the worst teams I've ever seen play at Yankee Stadium. They were what we thought they were, but we let them off the hook. Ronny not subbing until after the 80th minute was incredibly stupid, as our guys were gassed out there, letting that shit Pumas team back in the match. Why are we letting defenders take PKs? Why is Maxi anywhere near a ball during a penalty opportunity? Why weren't our guys going for the top corners against a shrimp of a GK? The ITS penalty was PA-THET-IC.

Fuck, this team is so damn frustrating.

I wish we had another view of the Rodriguez goal, because I went Oliver Stone's JFK on that Twitter video, and there is no alteration of the trajectory of the ball from his right arm potentially hitting it. Bullshit call.

Regardless, we should have won that game 4-0. Pumas was one of the worst teams I've ever seen play at Yankee Stadium. They were what we thought they were, but we let them off the hook. Ronny not subbing until after the 80th minute was incredibly stupid, as our guys were gassed out there, letting that shit Pumas team back in the match. Why are we letting defenders take PKs? Why is Maxi anywhere near a ball during a penalty opportunity? Why weren't our guys going for the top corners against a shrimp of a GK? The ITS penalty was PA-THET-IC.

Fuck, this team is so damn frustrating.

isi was half asleep. he barely did a thing in the 10 mins he was on the field. it was practically guaranteed he would miss. same thing happened in the euros when england brought on subs at the last minute just to take PKs... they BOTH missed. Isi barely knew what was going on during his 10 mins of time and never should have taken a PK.

Maxi shouldn't have taken a PK. Callens probably shouldn't have, but he wasn't the biggest mistake as sometimes CBs can take PKs well.

The late subs let Pumas into the game. The ref's phantom handball VAR call let Pumas back into the game. It was an utter disaster and total concacaffed moment.

The writer has to be just assuming there and didn’t check because I didn’t see anything in the buildup that was close to touching anyone’s arm and that was incredibly clear and obvious.

Pumas had the ball, turned it over, and Keaton started the break, the ball basically staying on the ground the whole time.
The game highlights includes the whole sequence. You're right. There's no hint of a handball anywhere.
The highlights do not include the offside VAR sequence, but it was right in front of me and in real time I thought Taty was off on the initial through ball. I was temporarily happily surprised when the flag was not up, but when I saw the ref was over by the monitor I was pretty sure it was coming back.

Part of my brand is I don't like complaints about refs but I do like to hate on VAR, and this just reinforces it for me. VAR really warps how games proceed. The automatic review of every sequence that leads to a goal can only reduce goals scored. But it is even worse than that.

The reality of soccer is that you create chances and a small percentage of them go in the net. Better teams win basically with a brute force DOS attack: if you create a lot more chances than your opponent you - hopefully - marginally raise the odds that you score more than they do. But when officials review only the sequences that score goals, you effectively handicap teams who score. Last night was a somewhat extreme example that really highlighted the problem, but it is also true generally. Even if the handball call was right - which I doubt - how many missed fouls, violations, etc were missed in the other 89 minutes that maybe stopped NYC from getting a goal? We have no idea, and nobody including me wants to know, because you can't play or officiate that way and have any continuity. So we pretend none of that happens, and then further pretend that justice is done when a team scores a goal and the VAR finds something several seconds earlier that can wipe it out.

At least when a ref makes a call -- correct ones and mistakes both -- in real time, it stops play, and you don't have the problem that play is allowed to proceed and one of the few random times that a chance leads to a goal gets wiped out. It just sucks, and the game is worse off for it.

Last edited:
The game highlights includes the whole sequence. You're right. There's no hint of a handball anywhere.
The highlights do not include the offside VAR sequence, but it was right in front of me and in real time I thought Taty was off on the initial through ball. I was temporarily happily surprised when the flag was not up, but when I saw the ref was over by the monitor I was pretty sure it was coming back.

Part of my brand is I don't like complaints about refs but I do like to hate on VAR, and this just reinforces it for me. VAR really warps how games proceed. The automatic review of every sequence that leads to a goal can only reduce goals scored. But it is even worse than that.

The reality of soccer is that you create chances and a small percentage of them go in the net. Better teams win basically with a brute force DOS attack: if you create a lot more chances than your opponent you - hopefully - marginally raise the odds that you score more than they do. But when officials review only the sequences that score goals, you effectively handicap teams who score. Last night was a somewhat extreme example that really highlighted the problem, but it is also true generally. Even if the handball call was right - which I doubt - how many missed fouls, violations, etc were missed in the other 89 minutes that maybe stopped NYC from getting a goal? We have no idea, and nobody including me wants to know, because you can't play or officiate that way and have any continuity. So we pretend none of that happens, and then further pretend that justice is done when a team scores a goal and the VAR finds something several seconds earlier that can wipe it out.

At least when a ref makes a call -- correct ones and mistakes both -- in real time, it stops play, and you don't have the problem that play is allowed to proceed and one of the few random times that a chance leads to a goal gets wiped out. It just sucks, and the game is worse off for it.

i think VAR has a place for certain things. they should review everything but should only be talking to the center ref if there is truly a clear and obvious event that requires his attention. maybe the offsides call last night was clear and obvious. we'll never know cause there is no replay. but the handball call definitely was not. it should have never been brought to the center ref's attention.

VAR is a great tool. but tools are only as good as the ref using it and sadly, MLS and concacaf have some shitty ass refs who worry more about being "right" about possibly finding a miniscule detail while pixel peeping in slow motion than how it will effect the game or even whether it is "clear and obvious".