Leagues Cup - August 11 - Pumas (Home)

If the handball is clear and obvious, then the DOGSO take down of Santi is also clear and obvious. You can’t pick and choose which fouls to pay attention to on VAR.

exactly.

i was watching the TUDN highlight of the santi "goal" and slowed down their slow motion of it. the ball does not change trajectory until it hits Santi in the face. There may have been a modicum of fingernail scrape on the ball as it made its way to santi's face, but it is incredibly harsh. Add to that, the DOGSO takedown before any of that.

we got concacaffed to the highest degree. none of the "handball" was clear or obvious let alone clear AND obvious. all of the takedown in the box was. so, the only decision should have been, do we give the red card or do we just let the goal stand and have the teams play 11v11? VAR idiots choose to take away the goal and leave PUMAS unpunished. Concacaf elite level 1000.

Reactions: canchon
I'm not even upset about the result. We won that game. We won it 2-1. The Santi goal was legit. How can I be upset with anything regarding how the team played or Ronny's performance or the PK takers when we won?

And here's the best part: We won the game without having to be saddled with extra games. Best of both worlds.

The game highlights includes the whole sequence. You're right. There's no hint of a handball anywhere.
The highlights do not include the offside VAR sequence, but it was right in front of me and in real time I thought Taty was off on the initial through ball. I was temporarily happily surprised when the flag was not up, but when I saw the ref was over by the monitor I was pretty sure it was coming back.
I had the stream of the game in front of me during the match and the camera angle didn't show anything clear and obvious for the Taty offsides.

But, although I somehow missed it live, I was sitting next to Trey Fillmore from Blue Balls and he said immediately when the ball was played through that Taty was well offsides and we had a great view down that line.

I will push on two common themes I've seen here as well as on Twitter that I just don't understand.
  • This team has no heart, no will, etc. to win elimination games. Bullshit. Every one of those players laid it all out on the line last night and I don't have any inclination whatsoever that any of them didn't have the will, desire, whatever word you want to use to win that game. Yeah, they didn't get the job done and could have performed better in terms of the scoreline, but spare me the "this team has no heart" crap.
  • This team / coach has no tactics. This team dominated the match, created plenty more chances, had some taken away via VAR, and gave away a soft goal. Yes, the finishing wasn't clinical and Johnson gave up a soft goal. But those two items have nothing to do with tactics. We can't say Ronny sucks, his tactics suck, etc. and then also say at the same time "we dominated, refs screwed us, we just can't finish". That doesn't reconcile.
One last item, James Sands fucking rocks. I recommend watching the post-game presser and the confidence and swagger he now carries with him. And I absolutely love that he clapped back at the Pumas keeper that was talking shit before and after every PK NYCFC took.

I will push on two common themes I've seen here as well as on Twitter that I just don't understand.
  • This team has no heart, no will, etc. to win elimination games. Bullshit. Every one of those players laid it all out on the line last night and I don't have any inclination whatsoever that any of them didn't have the will, desire, whatever word you want to use to win that game. Yeah, they didn't get the job done and could have performed better in terms of the scoreline, but spare me the "this team has no heart" crap.
  • This team / coach has no tactics. This team dominated the match, created plenty more chances, had some taken away via VAR, and gave away a soft goal. Yes, the finishing wasn't clinical and Johnson gave up a soft goal. But those two items have nothing to do with tactics. We can't say Ronny sucks, his tactics suck, etc. and then also say at the same time "we dominated, refs screwed us, we just can't finish". That doesn't reconcile.
One last item, James Sands fucking rocks. I recommend watching the post-game presser and the confidence and swagger he now carries with him. And I absolutely love that he clapped back at the Pumas keeper that was talking shit before and after every PK NYCFC took.

when team has constant chances and doesnt finish and has not won a penalty shootout , won only one playoff game/ series this the reaction it brings up. right or wrong its what the perception is.

i always been #ronnyout train, however he needs a 9 badly and the FO still didnt get one, we really hoping on heber to come back strong, but its going to take him a few weeks maybe even months to get to the form he was in. also, ronny's late subs ( and sometimes confusing subs) in many games don't help the perception of his tactics or lack of tactics.

as for the shit talking, while not everyone does it, players cant be shocked by it either. This happens at various places, leagues cup or in world cup like netherlands vs costa rica in 2014. the clap back is fine from sands.

EDIT: more about sands, its more what you want from the players, if others in team did this no one would be saying the team lacks "heart" "desire"

Last edited:

Yep -- we dominated that game from start to finish. Pumas had a little surge after they scored -- on their first shot on goal. We bossed that game and had it stolen from us. Can't be mad at Ronny or the players. Sure there were some curious decisions, but that game was stolen from us. It was complete and utter bullshit. The kind of call that legitimately makes you wonder whether the fix was in.

BTW, did Ronny say anything postgame about the refereeing or the handball call? They haven't posted the postgame interviews yet so I haven't had a chance to look.

Reactions: Shwafta

I thought tactics were great last night. I loved what they were doing. What I CANNOT forgive is not bringing on any subs until WAY too late. You play a high pressing game, in 80+ degree humid-af weather, you play after a 3-hour weather delay, your opponent makes FOUR substitutions....... you bring on substitutes. Gray was gassed. Medina was gassed. There are no excuses for that. I'm not saying that bringing on subs would have prevented the goal they scored, but man before their goal I said to Sabo that we look gassed and that they keep shredding Gray's side of the pitch. And they have no shots on target meaning they're going to score that first shot on target. (now that last part's just a side ramble about me being a curse)

Yep -- we dominated that game from start to finish. Pumas had a little surge after they scored -- on their first shot on goal. We bossed that game and had it stolen from us. Can't be mad at Ronny or the players. Sure there were some curious decisions, but that game was stolen from us. It was complete and utter bullshit. The kind of call that legitimately makes you wonder whether the fix was in.

BTW, did Ronny say anything postgame about the refereeing or the handball call? They haven't posted the postgame interviews yet so I haven't had a chance to look.
I agree 100%. I have never actually truly been on the "the ref(s) were paid off" train on anything before.... but the way everything was going last night, I can't help but wonder. An absolute sham.

Reactions: ZYanksRule
I thought tactics were great last night. I loved what they were doing. What I CANNOT forgive is not bringing on any subs until WAY too late. You play a high pressing game, in 80+ degree humid-af weather, you play after a 3-hour weather delay, your opponent makes FOUR substitutions....... you bring on substitutes. Gray was gassed. Medina was gassed. There are no excuses for that. I'm not saying that bringing on subs would have prevented the goal they scored, but man before their goal I said to Sabo that we look gassed and that they keep shredding Gray's side of the pitch. And they have no shots on target meaning they're going to score that first shot on target. (now that last part's just a side ramble about me being a curse)
I totally get that. And I know you're not saying this, but subs does not equal tactics. Unless you then change the tactics after you bring on subs.

I too think the subs should have come on much earlier.

Also, great meeting up with you for a beer prior to the game.

• Love
Reactions: Shwafta
I totally get that. And I know you're not saying this, but subs does not equal tactics. Unless you then change the tactics after you bring on subs.

I too think the subs should have come on much earlier.
Yep. not equating tactics. HOWEVER that being said, our tactics all-but require early substitutes as to not kill the players or gas them for stupid goals like that. And that's a big mistake.

For the record
1628782532885.png

This looks like the moment called for the handball. after this point it looks like the ball ever so slightly shifts in a different direction so it's possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I still think the DOGSO/penalty should have happened. Not like we would have scored a penalty right?

For the record
View attachment 11354

This looks like the moment called for the handball. after this point it looks like the ball ever so slightly shifts in a different direction so it's possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I still think the DOGSO/penalty should have happened. Not like we would have scored a penalty right?

they must have some super cameras to see that "clearly"

By all means stay away from Reddit because if anything it's even more prevalent there.

you mean MLS reddit? or nycfc reddit. they seem two very different beings. nycfc reddit feels more casual fans. mls reddit normally just hates nycfc in anything.

One more post and then i gotta go back to work, but this is why you don't put maxi on pens. The goalkeeper is past the point of no return on the right side of his net. All maxi needs to do is notice this, and calmly slot it to the other side. Instead he looks down at the ball and keeps NO eye on the keeper, doesn't even begin to notice that what he's about to attempt is all-but impossible since the keeper shifted.
1628782848843.png

Reactions: canchon
One more post and then i gotta go back to work, but this is why you don't put maxi on pens. The goalkeeper is past the point of no return on the right side of his net. All maxi needs to do is notice this, and calmly slot it to the other side. Instead he looks down at the ball and keeps NO eye on the keeper, doesn't even begin to notice that what he's about to attempt is all-but impossible since the keeper shifted.
View attachment 11355

hes is not a finisher, he never was even in open play. why he keeps getting picked for penalties is beyond me.