Looking Ahead - Winter Window

If we move for 3-5-2 and keeping Herrera and ring Then I see us getting it tryinh to get Gignac. I think we move for a centerback in the draft . Brilliant might leave . And I see us using a good chunck of TAM or Gam or Pam or whatever the fuck its called to get a centerback to have with callens and chanot in the back. I think next year will be Harrison's last

SuperDraft? We're going to have a pick between 17-23, so likely not any great caliber player there. Then again Axel Sjoberg was a late first round pick.

Ferrarasi is a right sided Callens. A 3 man backline next year would make a lot sense from a CB perspective. Ring sits in front. Herrera box to box and Maxi plays at the tip. Wallace/Matarrita wide left. I guess Harrison as a RWB (don't love that) and Villa partners with a CF.

I hope I am wrong too. I just think that he really wants to be in Europe, and CFG should be happy to loan him to whichever league is around the right level for him, which I think will be higher than you anticipate.

(also, I wouldn't characterize Portugal as being "more than 2 standard deviations above MLS" - probably not Ligue 1 either).

I was not using the idea of standard deviation very rigorously. Also, MLS is a strange bird because of the forced parity. TFC is better than Minnesota, but not to the degree that Chelsea was better than Sunderland or Real Madrid better than Granada. That creates some confusion. Maybe it's just the fact that Portugal's big clubs such as Benfica or Porto would obliterate MLS competition. But maybe we can put up a fight with mid to low table teams from that league. With what PSG is doing right now in Ligue One the situation is getting even more skewed in leagues that are not even with the best but have a super team that could win UCL. But my very broad impression is that leagues such as Liga MX, Turkey, Belgium, etc. are slightly better than MLS. Then there's definitely a higher level European league below the elites, where Eredivisie, Portugal, Ligue One, maybe others would slot. You could even argue that League One is above that but still below the juggernaut leagues. My impression is you could make several tiers of European domestic leagues and there still would be at least 3 tiers above MLS.

The reason being that we can buy guys of the level of Chanot, Ring etc, plus 3 DPs but we also have to field Ethan White and RJ level players, so we're more uneven in our starting XI level, and also forbidden from assembling super teams.

Reactions: Kjbert
Don't forget Roldan. Don't ever forget Roldan, especially with Khiry on this roster.

I was just referring to CBs. If we really want to drill into that 2015 SuperDraft.

7 - Matt Polster, RB for the Chicago Fire who will get a look for the USMNT soon.
12 - Saad Abdil-Salaam, RB, LW for Sporting KC (American)
13 - Tim Parker, CB for the Vancouver Whitecaps
14 - Axel Sjoberg, CB for the Colorado Rapids
16 - Christian Roldan, M for the Seattle Sounders, USMNT Gold Cup player

The bottom of the draft board has turned out better than the top. We really need better college scouts.

Personally I do not see Harrison moving before his citizenship. Although I believe we would have to give him a DP contract or a well above average TAM contract(or w.e) maybe 2 years down the road. Europe is enticing but it is just as enticing when your entering the prime of your career and don't need to make a "name" for yourself. Big thing to remember is he is only 20 yo. Also gaining citizenship and playing on USMNT could boost his international value to a bigger club as well if he stays to that point.

As far as winter signings I would just like to see a more balanced squad of players like:
Callens, Ring, Chanot, Wallace, & Mattarita

Those are the type of players that win you this league

Also i think once Wallace is fully fit either he should play LB or RB(prefer to keep him on the left and Ben Sweat to the right)

SuperDraft? We're going to have a pick between 17-23, so likely not any great caliber player there. Then again Axel Sjoberg was a late first round pick.

We like to trade up. Might trade up if viera finds a player he wants . Wouldn't be shocked if McNamara was part of a draft pick trade to move up to a top 3. Not sure who are the best options in the draft

Also i think once Wallace is fully fit either he should play LB or RB(prefer to keep him on the left and Ben Sweat to the right)

Would not want us, under any circumstances, to go into the season with Sweat as a projected starter. Full props to him, he has done well filling in for Mata, but he is still a backup, and should remain as such.

Also, I don't think LB is Wallace's best position. Saw a lot of comments from Timbers fans who said that while he did play the position a few times for them, he wasn't the best at it.

Would not want us, under any circumstances, to go into the season with Sweat as a projected starter. Full props to him, he has done well filling in for Mata, but he is still a backup, and should remain as such.

Also, I don't think LB is Wallace's best position. Saw a lot of comments from Timbers fans who said that while he did play the position a few times for them, he wasn't the best at it.
With you here on this. Wallace had the one game at LB for us and wasn't great. Perhaps with a full offseason of work there he could be pretty good. But he's shown us a lot at LW obviously.

I definitely don't want to go into next year with Sweat as a projected starter. I'm also not certain how he would be on the right side.

Reactions: JayH

Fuchs.

Reactions: adam and JayH
Personally I do not see Harrison moving before his citizenship. Although I believe we would have to give him a DP contract or a well above average TAM contract(or w.e) maybe 2 years down the road. Europe is enticing but it is just as enticing when your entering the prime of your career and don't need to make a "name" for yourself. Big thing to remember is he is only 20 yo. Also gaining citizenship and playing on USMNT could boost his international value to a bigger club as well if he stays to that point.

As far as winter signings I would just like to see a more balanced squad of players like:
Callens, Ring, Chanot, Wallace, & Mattarita

Those are the type of players that win you this league

You don't play left footed defenders on the right side.

FOX is more likely to broadcast a Dortmund game because of Pulisic than other teams (except for say Bayern Munich). More eyes are watching Dortmund, more people are following Dortmund, they carry a higher sponsorship cost.
That's not how broadcasting deals work. The Broadcasters pay the Bundesliga for rights to show games, not Dortmund.

Let me know when Dortmund signs a marketing deal in the USA off the back of Pulisic's popularity.

That's not how broadcasting deals work. The Broadcasters pay the Bundesliga for rights to show games, not Dortmund.

Let me know when Dortmund signs a marketing deal in the USA off the back of Pulisic's popularity.

They aren't getting money directly from FOX. But because Pulisic is American, FOX is more likely to show Dortmund thus more people are likely to follow Dortmund if they don't have a club and buy products. It's indirectly related revenue streams.

More people are following Dortmund because of Pulisic, more people are watching FOX, ratings go up, new TV deal is worth more, more money goes to Dortmund.

Reactions: sundance
We're not going to do a like for like replacement in terms of Pirlo's place on the field. We're likely going to sign a Maxi Moralez type player in terms of name recognition and talent.
Sami Khedira doesn't match Maxi in name recognition ;)

They're not even scouting players that are famous. Don't get your hopes up. That being said, who would have thought we would get the return we've gotten from Ring and Chanot?

Reactions: NYCFCfan
They're not even scouting players that are famous. Don't get your hopes up. That being said, who would have thought we would get the return we've gotten from Ring and Chanot?

Wasn't so long ago on here that people were ardent about doing "the Giovinco thing" and digging up top-performing players with smaller reputations rather than splashing large money on famous players who often underperform. It's kind of funny that now we actually have been quite successful at that, people can get a little antsy that we aren't approaching famous players.