Looking Ahead - Winter Window

They aren't getting money directly from FOX. But because Pulisic is American, FOX is more likely to show Dortmund thus more people are likely to follow Dortmund if they don't have a club and buy products. It's indirectly related revenue streams.

More people are following Dortmund because of Pulisic, more people are watching FOX, ratings go up, new TV deal is worth more, more money goes to Dortmund.

I totally get it -- but it's very roundabout and not at all like what the OP was talking about. He was saying that somehow Dortmund benefits more from the fact that their very good young player is American rather than some other nationality.

I hope you're wrong on Herrera. I would put him as "moderately likely". I don't think he's ready to start in any league that's more than two standard deviations above MLS. I don't see him starting in Ligue One or Portugal, maybe Portugal for a small team. Why would CFG transfer him to Belgium, Turkey or the Netherlands (also I don't know their visa requirements) for 6 or 7 million at the start of 2018? With one full season as a starter and a pillar for NYCFC he could probably go straight to one of the bigger leagues and command a fee above 10 or 15 million. I hope I'm right. I don't see him with us in 2019.
Agree. I think it's at least as likely we have Herrera next year as it is that TPFKAU is on the roster.

I'd like to get RJ back down to a salary that doesn't count. I know some will say he covers both fullbacks. I think he's bad at RB and terrible at LB, so doesn't mean a lot to me.

I was not using the idea of standard deviation very rigorously. Also, MLS is a strange bird because of the forced parity. TFC is better than Minnesota, but not to the degree that Chelsea was better than Sunderland or Real Madrid better than Granada. That creates some confusion. Maybe it's just the fact that Portugal's big clubs such as Benfica or Porto would obliterate MLS competition. But maybe we can put up a fight with mid to low table teams from that league. With what PSG is doing right now in Ligue One the situation is getting even more skewed in leagues that are not even with the best but have a super team that could win UCL. But my very broad impression is that leagues such as Liga MX, Turkey, Belgium, etc. are slightly better than MLS. Then there's definitely a higher level European league below the elites, where Eredivisie, Portugal, Ligue One, maybe others would slot. You could even argue that League One is above that but still below the juggernaut leagues. My impression is you could make several tiers of European domestic leagues and there still would be at least 3 tiers above MLS.
I think you're on the right track when you start mentioning the discrepancy among the top and the rest in leagues such as Belgium and Portugal - possibly Netherlands too.

If you watch those leagues, the bottom of them is about where the bottom of MLS is. The top of MLS is just below the top of them.

If we are looking at teams getting double the allocation money next season, I think you can fairly expect MLS to be very, very close to Championship across the board (although I already think MLS is a better league to watch for the most part). I would think it steps past BL2 for the most part.

Look at where players come from and what they do here relative to what they did elsewhere.

So Chanot is a very good MLS CB - well no shit. He was in the PL pretty early on in his pro career. Vasquez has been very good. But he was Pro league's POTY not long ago.

I don't even know why I'm talking about this, so I'll stop.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
The reason being that we can buy guys of the level of Chanot, Ring etc, plus 3 DPs but we also have to field Ethan White and RJ level players, so we're more uneven in our starting XI level, and also forbidden from assembling super teams.
We have to. Other clubs don't.

Reactions: Kjbert
Also i think once Wallace is fully fit either he should play LB or RB(prefer to keep him on the left and Ben Sweat to the right)
Why would you move one of our best attackers to a spot where he sucks? And if the first part of your post happens, as it probably should, then No Sweat won't be starting anywhere, thank God.

Remember guys, there's also an expansion draft next year for LAFC.

NYCFC will likely lose some secondary players so they will need to add depth.
Because this year it's only one team being added, are we able to protect more players?

Remember guys, there's also an expansion draft next year for LAFC.

NYCFC will likely lose some secondary players so they will need to add depth.

EDITED:

I was honestly thinking about that yesterday. We can save 10 players.

Villa, Moralez, Harrison, Herrera, Ring, Matarrita, Chanot, Callens, Johnson, Wallace

Sands and Lewis will be automatically protected under Homegrown and Generation Adidas status.

Other than that, Shelton, McNamara, Okoli, Sweat, Allen, Awuah are all available. We're likely going to lose a player this year.

The good thing it that it's only one team making 5 picks. Though wasn't there talk they would end the Expansion Draft and just give the team more GAM and TAM instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: gbservis
So Sweats gone...

Ok lets spitball this.

Players we protect 100%.

Villa
Harrison
Chanot
Callens
Sean Johnson
Ring
Herrera
Mataritta

8/11 spots I feel comfortable saying will be protected no matter what.

Players we might protect (pick three)
Brillant
Okoli
Lopez
Sweat (Only if he stays on a cap friendly salary, I love him at his current salary and he's great for depth, if he wants to go above 80k I don't like him anymore.)
Wallace
White

Players we don't have to protect but are protected due to gen Adidas or homegrown status.

Jlew
Sands

International loans (smart teams don't pick players who are on loan)

Carmago

So right here we have 14 protected guys. And an expansion team is prevented from taking more than 2 players from any one team. Bonus points is that we don't have to protect a third DP because we will likely sign our DP after the expansion draft so we get to "save" one additional depth player. So really we've functionally protected 15 guys, thats the starting 11 plus 4 bench players. I suspect that there are other teams who are going to be able to protect far fewer players than that, and you're much more likely to find quality there.

Why would you take 25 year old Ben Sweat a first year team is doing everything they can to find some kind of quality somewhere. You don't get to worry about depth until year two or three. I don't think we protect Sweat and I don't think we loose him either. Though to be fair I'm kind of speaking out of my ass because I don't really know how many other good/decent wingbacks would be available in the rest of the league.

Ok lets spitball this.

Players we protect 100%.

Villa
Harrison
Chanot
Callens
Sean Johnson
Ring
Herrera
Mataritta

Brillant
Okoli
Lopez
Sweat (Only if he stays on a cap friendly salary, I love him at his current salary and he's great for depth, if he wants to go above 80k I don't like him anymore.)
Wallace
White

Players we don't have to protect but are protected due to gen Adidas or homegrown status.

Jlew
Sands

Carmago

So right here we have 14 protected guys. And an expansion team is prevented from taking more than 2 players from any one team. Bonus points is that we don't have to protect a third DP because we will likely sign our DP after the expansion draft so we get to "save" one additional depth player. So really we've functionally protected 15 guys, thats the starting 11 plus 4 bench players. I suspect that there are other teams who are going to be able to protect far fewer players than that, and you're much more likely to find quality there.

Why would you take 25 year old Ben Sweat a first year team is doing everything they can to find some kind of quality somewhere. You don't get to worry about depth until year two or three. I don't think we protect Sweat and I don't think we loose him either. Though to be fair I'm kind of speaking out of my ass because I don't really know how many other good/decent wingbacks would be available in the rest of the league.

I completely forgot about the Generation Adidas and Homegrown protection rules. Harrison will 100% graduate as a Generation Adidas player this year but will it be before or after the expansion draft? If after, we save another player.

Ok lets spitball this.

Players we protect 100%.

Villa
Harrison
Chanot
Callens
Sean Johnson
Ring
Herrera
Mataritta

Brillant
Okoli
Lopez
Wallace
White

Jlew
Sands

Carmago

Isn't Herrera technically on loan? Surely a guy on loan doesn't participate in the draft, right? Since he's technically not on our roster, he's on MCFC's roster?

I completely forgot about the Generation Adidas and Homegrown protection rules. Harrison will 100% graduate as a Generation Adidas player this year but will it be before or after the expansion draft? If after, we save another player.

I believe that Harrison's status lasts until the official end of the season, which believe it or not is December 31st. And If I remember correctly the drafts are some time in February, so I believe that we are going to have to protect Harrison. And we will protect Harrison because any team with half a brain would snap him up in a heartbeat.