MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

With respect to the scores showing, I think the complication is their entire TV settings system is designed to work by device, either AppleTV box, or iPhone or iPad. To handle this for browsers means introducing that setting but not tied to a device. If you tie it to the account, what happens when that account signs in to a device with a conflicting setting? The world might end or something.
It's not insurmountable and I would hope is not super complicated, but it's not a simple tweak either that I would expect them to handle on the fly. I saw reports that they already did fix other things people complained about, mostly tied to production.
It's also weird that you can't adjust this setting for the ATV app on a Mac, but you cannot.

With respect to the scores showing, I think the complication is their entire TV settings system is designed to work by device, either AppleTV box, or iPhone or iPad. To handle this for browsers means introducing that setting but not tied to a device. If you tie it to the account, what happens when that account signs in to a device with a conflicting setting? The world might end or something.
It's not insurmountable and I would hope is not super complicated, but it's not a simple tweak either that I would expect them to handle on the fly. I saw reports that they already did fix other things people complained about, mostly tied to production.
It's also weird that you can't adjust this setting for the ATV app on a Mac, but you cannot.
This is trivial in programming - usually the higher level will override lower. In this case device would be override by account, probably? Either way not something too crazy to do 😆

Reactions: mgarbowski
Also, even within device (I'm on Roku currently) you can get the scores off the tiles, but not off the banners at top of feed.

ETA: I'd point this out to the feedback request on Twitter. Alas, I don't twitter.

Reactions: Shwafta
This is trivial in programming - usually the higher level will override lower. In this case device would be override by account, probably? Either way not something too crazy to do 😆
That's what I figured, though I've learned to be less eager to assume any given programming task is simple. Many years ago I learned just enough programming that I thought I knew how things work for a while, but that was wrong. But also it is not as simple as taking the code they use for a device and just transferring it to a web browser on a computer.

ETA: I'd point this out to the feedback request on Twitter. Alas, I don't twitter.

For those who Tweet, it won't hurt to do both, and I think the Twitter dude is more involed in production than the software side of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootyLovin
Am i missing something? I can’t find highlights of games anywhere. I see nycfc uploaded in youtube but not for others.

I don't think it was up then but they are on AppleTV this morning.
CLick the tile for the game and hit the first play option and it is 7-8 minute highlights. For the full game scroll down the page to the bottom tile that oddly says "Season pass" and it has an option for 3 versions: highlights, full game English and full game Spanish.

Reactions: Fantazma
That's what I figured, though I've learned to be less eager to assume any given programming task is simple. Many years ago I learned just enough programming that I thought I knew how things work for a while, but that was wrong. But also it is not as simple as taking the code they use for a device and just transferring it to a web browser on a computer.
Yeah, something like setting configuration overrides isn't too too difficult, we had that often with our e-commerce builds at my last company. It's one of the easier things to do haha

I looked for it online and in this thread, but when will the full match replays be up on Apple TV? Will there be full match replays? I can’t imagine the turn around to post something like that would be difficult.

I watched the game yesterday, but I’m just prepping for future matches I might not be able to catch live.

MLS Social Media Manager says

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 12.07.11 PM.png

• Wow
...and now, Shep Messing on Sunday night soccer. Red Bull is the unofficial home team of Apple's MLS.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Yeah… watching the pregame show for our game yesterday, for four neutral hosts (with BWP and Sasha) I think they basically only talked about Nashville. They did a whole thing about the Johnny Cash Kit but didn’t even mention our kit. Hell I’m not even sure they spent a full 60 seconds of the half hour coverage on NYCFC. And yeah I get they have to talk about the whole league, apple, the new season, and have ad time. But it felt like Nashville had about 5 minutes and we got a mention

Edit: yes, this was the eye test and I didn’t clock it. Could have easily been confirmation bias because obviously I’m bias and I don’t trust those two to be unbiased yet. And truthfully it’s a small gripe so I’m not all that upset about it. Just noticed it and found it bothersome

Last edited:
On my iPad I had to go to the Settings app, scroll down on the left side to the TV app settings, then toggle the Show Sports Scores switch on and then off again.
I haven’t checked the AppleTV+ app on my smart TV yet.
Already been discussed. It's only available on apple products. which is dumb.