MLS - April 2 - Toronto (Away)

Yeah I'm not worried about Martins -- he had a bad game this week, it happens to everyone. He's been pretty decent already for us in previous games and I think he'll be fine.

As for Taty -- maybe. These guys are professionals, though. They've been through similar sagas in their careers. I would imagine they know how to handle it.
We've done well enough so far, I think. After all, had Taty pulled the trigger a millisecond earlier on that great opportunity in Toronto he likely would have scored. And we had as many shots on goal as TFC had shots, period. So we're creating chances.

But everyone's human. (Well, almost everyone. LOL) It's not hard to imagine the squad getting in a mental space where they had to live life without Castellanos, and then suddenly he's still there. Had to knock a couple guys off center a little.

Reactions: Kjbert
Finally got to watch the game, I’m sorry but Gloster is not close to ready for this level. Every time he touched the ball there was either a mistake or he kicked it out of bounds… I thought Cacha had a better game out of position than Gloster in position. I hope he spends a lot of time with the 2s to get his skills refined. I miss the two headed beast of Gudi and Malte. Other than that I’m happy Heber scored and hopefully the Levi has broken for him! Roll on boys

"Forget that, though, because here’s the giant red flag: NYCFC are 27th in xG allowed when defending in an organized state, as per Second Spectrum. This is despite the fact that only the Quakes spend less time actually defending in an organized state (if you’re never organized, you can’t concede goals in an organized state!).​
I went back through all the tracking data for the past couple of years and NYCFC have never had a five-game stretch like this. I still think it’s fatigue combined with championship hangover (it’s real – just ask last year’s Crew), but whatever the cause, Ronny Deila’s got to get this fixed ASAP."​

That's from Doyle's weekly column. I'm not 100% sure what an organized state is. I think it is everything but an opposing fast break. Second Spectrum is a subscription service for leagues, teams, and press. But, this tracks what we've been seeing. Our back line is kind of ragged, even when they should be settled. The free kick defending has been atrocious, and the second goal Saturday did not even generate any xG because Toronto didn't shoot it. Last year I was always surprised whenever we conceded. That's not holding up this year.

Last edited:

I think one reason why their analysis was so one sided is that they most closely reviewed the angle from behind the goal, which puts everything in the worst possible light, including not being able to see the ball deflect off Chanot's chest.

Remember this classic, it was Red Bulls 90+11’ penalty on Chanot’s “handball”.

(go view it on youtube. This is exactly why VAR and using "one angle" is crap. Show every angle possible.
This is a great video, thanks.

I think back to the PRO statement that seemed to take the blame off Fischer and even Fischer's own statement to Ronny that seemed to do the same. If Fischer had even 1/20th of the personal conviction that the official in that video had, he would have either stuck to his original call or asked for more camera angles. He is as guilty here as anyone.

"Forget that, though, because here’s the giant red flag: NYCFC are 27th in xG allowed when defending in an organized state, as per Second Spectrum. This is despite the fact that only the Quakes spend less time actually defending in an organized state (if you’re never organized, you can’t concede goals in an organized state!).​
I went back through all the tracking data for the past couple of years and NYCFC have never had a five-game stretch like this. I still think it’s fatigue combined with championship hangover (it’s real – just ask last year’s Crew), but whatever the cause, Ronny Deila’s got to get this fixed ASAP."​

That's from Doyle's weekly column. I'm not 100% sure what an organized state is. I think it is everything but an opposing fast break. Second Spectrum is a subscription service for leagues, teams, and press. But, this tracks what we've been seeing. Our back line is kind of ragged, even when they should be settled. The free kick defending has been atrocious, and the second goal Saturday did not even generate any xG because Toronto didn't shoot it. Last year I was always surprised whenever we conceded. That's not holding up this year.

This seems like one of those years that could easily have a first half of season / second half of season dividing line for the defense.

First half - championship hangover, CCL, and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, constantly changing lines.
  • Gray, Chanot, Callens, Amundsen (LAG)
  • Gray, Chanot, Callens, Amundsen (VAN)
  • Jasson, Martins, Callens, Amundsen (MTL)
  • Jasson, Martins, Callens, Amundsen (PHI)
  • Acavedo, Martins, Callens, Gloster (TOR)
Second half - settled in, no more CCL, hopefully a consistent backline, or, at least, Martins and Callens fully used to each other.

This seems like one of those years that could easily have a first half of season / second half of season dividing line for the defense.

First half - championship hangover, CCL, and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, constantly changing lines.
  • Gray, Chanot, Callens, Amundsen (LAG)
  • Gray, Chanot, Callens, Amundsen (VAN)
  • Jasson, Martins, Callens, Amundsen (MTL)
  • Jasson, Martins, Callens, Amundsen (PHI)
  • Acavedo, Martins, Callens, Gloster (TOR)
Second half - settled in, no more CCL, hopefully a consistent backline, or, at least, Martins and Callens fully used to each other.
I agree, but I also wonder whether, given we lost Thorarinsson, and Sands, and never replaced Ibeagha, and with Tinnerholm still hurt, we maybe should have added another defender besides Martins. Adjustment issues aside, he's also not very positionally flexible. He's a CB and that's it as far as we know. Normally that's enough, except we're so thin at outside back right now. I'm pretty sure this isn't second guessing either. This has been noted previously, maybe even by me?

Last edited:
Martins certainly hasn't been plug-and-play, but I think he'll be alright. He just needs a little more time to integrate. Plus we were a wreck at the back with Acevedo playing out of position and Gloster being ... well, being Gloster. No one other then Callens seemed to know where they were supposed to be or what they were supposed to be doing back there.

So, I wouldn't judge him too harshly on yesterday. I was confused, too. :confused1:

Plus we're all spoiled by the chemistry between Chanot and Callens. They've just been so, so good. I highly doubt anybody could step in and create the same level of play.
I'm not too concerned long term but as a DP he is supposed to lift up or bail out the weaker links guys and he's been pretty meh so far. Callens and Chanot (before Callens) each had pretty immediate positive results. Maybe the bar was lower but still.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I'm not too concerned long term but as a DP he is supposed to lift up or bail out the weaker links guys and he's been pretty meh so far. Callens and Chanot (before Callens) each had pretty immediate positive results. Maybe the bar was lower but still.
Yeah, I think the immediate positive results for when Chanot/Callens came on had more to do with replacing Jason Hernandez, Jeferson Mena, and Frederic Brillant (who I still think was much better than fans gave him credit for).

I'm hopeful/optimistic that Thiago Martins will turn it around the more minutes he gets and gels with the backline mates and SJ. At the same time, I am also growing a bit more skeptical on the use of a DP spot for him, especially considering his passing limitations.