MLS - April 24 - Cincinnati (Home)

Fans at this game will be:
  1. Outdoors
  2. Wearing Masks
  3. Socially Distanced
  4. Vaccinated or with a recent negative test
Any one of those four would make this a safe event. I can understand two in order to be extra cautious. All four is overkill.

I think part of it is the show of safety. I'm vaccinated, but I would not be ready to be close to other people right now. Having all four isn't overkill because in order to get people into the stadiums, they need people to feel like it's a safe activity. And while safety is judged by each individual person, they also need to cater to as many people as they can.

Also, we've been devastated by this virus for the last 13 months. I think overkill is perfectly acceptable for another month or two until we can more people vaccinated. I do think a lot of these restrictions will start to ease considerably by the time we get to late May or June.

I think part of it is the show of safety. I'm vaccinated, but I would not be ready to be close to other people right now. Having all four isn't overkill because in order to get people into the stadiums, they need people to feel like it's a safe activity. And while safety is judged by each individual person, they also need to cater to as many people as they can.

Also, we've been devastated by this virus for the last 13 months. I think overkill is perfectly acceptable for another month or two until we can more people vaccinated. I do think a lot of these restrictions will start to ease considerably by the time we get to late May or June.

It would be helpful if they provided a roadmap on this. A vaccination card should be a golden ticket right now. No one is stopping you from wearing a mask.

It would be helpful if they provided a roadmap on this. A vaccination card should be a golden ticket right now. No one is stopping you from wearing a mask.

If by they you mean the club then it's impossible since they don't make the decisions about the regulations.

And if you meant they as in the state.. they will lift regulations "based on the data" (which is only half true) or if Cuomo gets more accusers or scandals.

If by they you mean the club then it's impossible since they don't make the decisions about the regulations.

And if you meant they as in the state.. they will lift regulations "based on the data" (which is only half true) or if Cuomo gets more accusers or scandals.

The latter. Publish what rules you are abiding by. Certain states have already hit more vaccine supply than demand.

getting this thread back to the topic...

do we think malte will take gudi's starting spot now? personally, i hope so. gudi is just so bad...
At least eventually he will. He was clearly better in his limited minutes Saturday night. At this point it's gotta be more about fitness level and knowledge of the system and squad if he's capable of taking a starting spot.

I'd say it's worth a shot, especially now that teams have 5 subs per game. At 3 subs per game, I may be less willing because you'd be nearly certain to have to use a sub at LB, and perhaps an injury or two, or game circumstances, you'd rather have that sub available elsewhere.

But with 5 subs available, there's less risk at "burning" a sub with the decision to start Malte. Additionally, our current depth is poor, so the ability to use all 5 subs is fairly low, unless we are talking very late and/or game out of hand.

At least eventually he will. He was clearly better in his limited minutes Saturday night. At this point it's gotta be more about fitness level and knowledge of the system and squad if he's capable of taking a starting spot.

I'd say it's worth a shot, especially now that teams have 5 subs per game. At 3 subs per game, I may be less willing because you'd be nearly certain to have to use a sub at LB, and perhaps an injury or two, or game circumstances, you'd rather have that sub available elsewhere.

But with 5 subs available, there's less risk at "burning" a sub with the decision to start Malte. Additionally, our current depth is poor, so the ability to use all 5 subs is fairly low, unless we are talking very late and/or game out of hand.

i agree. as new as he is to the system and team, his limited minutes weren't exactly impressive, but i saw potential that exceeded gudi's value at LB. His level of effort alone made him better than Gudi in my mind.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I think it's fitness. What has he been doing for the last 9 weeks? Was he training? How hard? And if he's not fit, how the hell is Gloster not given a run?

good question. i get the feeling gloster was signed on as pure backup though. whether or not he steps ahead of gudi in the subs when malte becomes the starter is another question.

Just checked on Ticketmaster. Game is very close to a sell out.

Don't say sellout. I'm sure there are tons of tickets that are being donated from the front office to this match. Remember, MLS counts tickets distributed and not sold.

Reactions: Kjbert
Checked Ticketmaster again. Only general sale tickets available are in that distant area behind home plate. A few resales here and there, but not many.

Maybe much of this is tickets given out for free. Maybe not. Even at a sell out, attendance would be 1/3 of our lowest ever, and this is the home opener after 18 months without fans at games.

We will know more on Saturday. People getting free tickets are less likely to show up, all things considered.

mizell and haak are off the injury list, though that doesn't really change much for us.

are we thinking Malte gets the start over Gudi this game? or does he need more time to learn the "system" and fitness?

Hope Thiago's visa doesn't take as long as Malte's... what a waste with him just sitting around!