Mls CBA 2015 Thread

Getting a great education reading these posts. Thanks guys!

Whoever said we're a bunch of idiots? Oh yeah, that was my wife.....

Reactions: Kjbert
Don Garber said things were better than 5 years ago and there was no stoppage then.

I don't think the players can afford a stoppage. Neither side can. I'm sure they'll find an agreeable middle ground. I don't think free agency happens this time (but next time the players will be all in for a stoppage to get free agency I bet)

Don Garber said things were better than 5 years ago and there was no stoppage then.

I don't think the players can afford a stoppage. Neither side can. I'm sure they'll find an agreeable middle ground. I don't think free agency happens this time (but next time the players will be all in for a stoppage to get free agency I bet)

I don't think there will be a stoppage either but who actually believes what Garber says these days?

Deadspin hates MLS. Another eurosnob central.

Not sure if that was a eurosnob article. That was a USA/MLS born a bred player frustrated with the system and an insider's perspective. I would like to see FA. But mls might still need to own contracts to avoid shenanigans from parent clubs overseas.

Not sure if that was a eurosnob article. That was a USA/MLS born a bred player frustrated with the system and an insider's perspective. I would like to see FA. But mls might still need to own contracts to avoid shenanigans from parent clubs overseas.

I apologize. I meant "sister clubs". Either way it's incestual and MLS team gets f****d.

I took it as a guy trying to apply old knowledge to the current situation. A work stoppage would be absolutely devastating to the league right after the WC. They know that and they know they are making bank. I expect them to settle on some sort of modified free agency for longer term players. Union can work to expand that in years to come.

I took it as a guy trying to apply old knowledge to the current situation. A work stoppage would be absolutely devastating to the league right after the WC. They know that and they know they are making bank. I expect them to settle on some sort of modified free agency for longer term players. Union can work to expand that in years to come.

Yeah the guy hasn't played in MLS for 2 years so he's probably not all that current

Yes, and last time, they voted to extend the old CBA agreement until the new one could be agreed to in order to avoid a stoppage.

I'd expect to see that again before a strike.

I heard today they go back to the negotiating table. The Monarch himself, Garber will be in attendance. I hope the players stand firm.

With the influx of huge player contracts the middle ground need a much bigger cut of the profits. I believe in other big leagues are in the neighborhood of NBA-52%, MLB-48%, NFL-39% and the MLS at 20%. This doesn't include the new influx of TV revenue ready to hit the league, they also get Chivas off the books which was a enormous loss.

Both NYCFC and OCSC have proven in their short existence to have strong following already and will both increase the overall revenue of the league. I don't think doubling the salary cap is enough.

I'll counter that MLS is no where near those other 3 leagues in revenues or profits, and that will be what the league will say. In fact many MLS teams are still in the red.

Still I hope the mean salary does go up. More money attracts better players and rewards faithful productive service.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
I'll counter that MLS is no where near those other 3 leagues in revenues or profits, and that will be what the league will say. In fact many MLS teams are still in the red.

Still I hope the mean salary does go up. More money attracts better players and rewards faithful productive service.

While true the league isn't making anywhere near the money the other are, they will taking that structure will allow the league to focus on going the profits and it would benefit the players because the more that league makes he more the players makes. A large share of the pie makes the players more partners in the growth of the league and also help the quality on the field rise.

Lower revenues should not affect the percentage of those revenues paid to players. 20% (if that number is accurate) is an embarrassment when they are doling out $7M contracts to DPs.

Great. Maybe Lampard won't miss the beginning of the season after all.