Mls CBA 2015 Thread

Easy to solve I think the Players would settle for 45% of revenue (x 110% for the cap and x 75% for the floor) and restricted free agency for players over 26 and/or 5 years in. Add to that a 4th DP slot, players negotiating with teams while the league continues to own the contracts and I think they are golden.

I'd be shocked if they did free agency by age, maybe years in the league?

By age would be begging the youth to flee even more....

Reactions: Kjbert
Sounds more and more (at least to Meola and Harkes) that there will be a second tier of player - maybe 389k to 750k - that will be classified differently. And it might just be for USMNT players.

Sounds more and more (at least to Meola and Harkes) that there will be a second tier of player - maybe 389k to 750k - that will be classified differently. And it might just be for USMNT players.
That might be lowballing it a bit. I think the tiers we are looking at are

1)$100k to $500k
2)$500k to $1 million
3)$1million +

That might be lowballing it a bit. I think the tiers we are looking at are

1)$100k to $500k
2)$500k to $1 million
3)$1million +

Interesting. I'd like to hear you expand your thoughts on how that would work? You can have X players over Tier 3? X over Tier 2, etc. ?

The owners will have no public backing of they force a strike, their only play is to limit the free agency. With the DP contacts they have been giving, I don't see what they can say.

Reactions: franchise646
The owners will have no public backing of they force a strike, their only play is to limit the free agency. With the DP contacts they have been giving, I don't see what they can say.
The NHL's limited free agency rule for players who are (I think it's) 26 years old or/with 7 years old service to the league could appease the players.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Michael Bradley can afford to go on strike. 75% of the league must live paycheck to paycheck more or less.

If there is a work stoppage, I would be surprised.

This is exactly the time when a strike is most likely. The labor rules that got MLS to where they are today are ridiculous and not seen in any other sports. The salary/revenue percentage is ridiculously low. BUT, the sport is primed to take off with a new TV contract. Its the best time there will ever be for the players to get what they want. And they should.

I know the owners want to protect their best interest and don't want to give away too much here, but they would be crazy to allow a strike going into one of the most important MLS seasons ever. There's 2 new teams, massive new signings, the new TV deal, and add to that all the new fans that came in with the world cup (not to mention the womens wc this summer to keep interest up).

The players have leverage because all of these reasons, and I see the owners posturing to protect their interests, but at the end of the day a strike this season would be a monumental mistake.

I know the owners want to protect their best interest and don't want to give away too much here, but they would be crazy to allow a strike going into one of the most important MLS seasons ever. There's 2 new teams, massive new signings, the new TV deal, and add to that all the new fans that came in with the world cup (not to mention the womens wc this summer to keep interest up).

The players have leverage because all of these reasons, and I see the owners posturing to protect their interests, but at the end of the day a strike this season would be a monumental mistake.

If you the players how much do you hold out 45-50% of revenue and limited free agency?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
If you the players how much do you hold out 45-50% of revenue and limited free agency?

Players are not getting 50% of revenue. That's a huge fight, especially when MLS is still trying to get owners to commit to investing in academies and stadiums. In terms of salaries, players should argue to increase the minimums, increase the overall cap, reduce the roster size (which helps free up money for better salaries for guys who aren't practice fodder) and then some kind of free agency and leave tying it to the revenue stream for a later CBA.

Players are not getting 50% of revenue. That's a huge fight, especially when MLS is still trying to get owners to commit to investing in academies and stadiums. In terms of salaries, players should argue to increase the minimums, increase the overall cap, reduce the roster size (which helps free up money for better salaries for guys who aren't practice fodder) and then some kind of free agency and leave tying it to the revenue stream for a later CBA.
Increasing the cap is the same as increasing revenue %

Lots of these guys can't afford to go on strike. It's not about the guys making 45k - they can get a job to replace the 45k - it's the guys making 100k - where are they going to replace that income?

Reactions: franchise646
Lots of these guys can't afford to go on strike. It's not about the guys making 45k - they can get a job to replace the 45k - it's the guys making 100k - where are they going to replace that income?
This has been coming for a long time, they are prepared for it.