MLS - September 17 - Red Bulls (Home)

A few thoughts after an enjoyable afternoon:

1) O'Toole has gone from afterthought to a hustling, interesting, MLS-level player. I am not sure what his ceiling might be, and I wish he had timed some runs better, but he never stops moving and puts in a shift on defense. I can see him being a squad player next season (and beyond).

2) Callens was MOTM, but Santi deserves kudos. Goal aside, at the end of the game when the team seemed to lag, he was consistently fighting to keep the ball. He won more than his share of 1 v. 2's, as well as a number of free kicks. For all of his offensive talent, it was impressive to see the grit he played with today.

3) Of all the free agents, we definitely need to retain Callens. I appreciate Johnson (who I expect to re-sign), and love a Tinnerboom (not as sure about him), but Callens is another level with what he can bring to the team. He is more than a starter, he is a difference maker, and in a salary cap league, difference makers mattter.

4) Third place is in reach. Orlando at "home" and Atlanta (who may be eliminated) on the road is a reasonable schedule. Jersey has a desparate Columbus team on the road before Charlotte. Probably need to pull for Charlotte to win a few to make it interesting on Decision Day.

Last edited:
Struber apparently called it a cheap win, what a tool .
Weird comment. I was surprised by the RB press ir rather the lack of it today. Not sure what Strubers plan was. If any team looked like they played Wed. night it was Strubers squad. They were kind of blah. Other than bashing into their opponent I guess there isn’t too much going on with that team.
NYCFC played some real nice football today. At times the passing was simply beautiful.
Callens is the Greatest.
O’Toole is becoming someone to root for.
Wow how different this week feels.

Also on Cushing -- watching his recent press conferences, he seems to really be gaining confidence in this role. Starting to push the right buttons, getting his team healthy, etc.
I thought from the beginning, he's our guy, although I fully admit to having had a few niggling little doubts about his connection with the team over the first few games. But that was strictly on the basis of the YouTube videos the team puts out (not a great source of information, to put it mildly) and my own experience in seeing someone go from assistant to head man.

Any doubts were dispelled this month. We played five games and went 2-1-2 with a different Starting XI each game. We arguably played better than our opposition in at least two of the games we didn't win. And at no point did we have Parks, Morales, Martins and Callens all fit, healthy and on the pitch at the same time (against New England we didn't have any of them).

In my book, that's some quality managing.

Oh one more thing:

After the game a bunch of Red Bulls players came out the entrance NYCFC players come out to sign.

When they saw the Red Bulls players walk out, everyone started singing, "You're fucking shit." It was amazing.
i was on the subway car and there were 2 red bull fans. they decided to get off the car and someone yells "fuck the red bulls" as they got off and the whole car cheers lol.
I don't like either of these. I think they're both low class.

Part of my sports development was being a fan of my college rugby team. They and their opponents would beat the shit out of each other on the field for 60 minutes. Then the whistle would blow and they'd all hug and go drinking together.

After the final whistle I never like the impulse to make someone else feel like shit in order to bolster my own self worth.

The Cushing story currently being written is a 3CB (or 4) story. Since he went 3CBs, beginning with NE on 9/4 here are our stats (minus Campeones - if anyone knows where I can get stats on that, lmk):

Shots: 14.0
Opp shots: 7.3
xG: 1.2
Opp xG: 0.5

NJ was the first match where we lost either (both) of those stats. Even that, I wonder how much was driven by taking an early 2-0 lead. Sure, I'd love for them to have maintained the intensity and dropped a couple more goooools. But I'm not going to complain.

I've noticed Acevedo has been much better lately and we have complained about him considerably less on here even in the losses. I'm not saying he's been amazing, but he hasn't put in a brutal shift in what seems like a month. I was wondering a few things about him yesterday during the match... is he playing better because he is getting more consistent playing time and rounding into form or is it possible the formation change to to 3ATB has helped give him more cover? To those of you who have more knowledge of the intricacies of the game I am curious as to your opinions on this.

The Cushing story currently being written is a 3CB (or 4) story. Since he went 3CBs, beginning with NE on 9/4 here are our stats (minus Campeones - if anyone knows where I can get stats on that, lmk):

Shots: 14.0
Opp shots: 7.3
xG: 1.2
Opp xG: 0.5

NJ was the first match where we lost either (both) of those stats. Even that, I wonder how much was driven by taking an early 2-0 lead. Sure, I'd love for them to have maintained the intensity and dropped a couple more goooools. But I'm not going to complain.

I got a sense that in the second half there was a sustained effort to shut it down and not allow RBNJ opportunities. I can remember one in the second half (on a giveaway) where SJ made a heck of save but that was it. A close to perfect defensive half with a 2 goal lead.

RBNJ had one shot on goal - Luquinhas’ effort saved off the line early in the first half. Nothing after that.

If this is the blueprint for this team then they will be a tough out.

Struber apparently called it a cheap win, what a tool .

Let me guess “two set piece goals and RBNJ had two or three opportunities that could have gone in, but we controlled the game” - tool. Someone should ask why his team had little intensity considering 1) the press is the team’s identity and 2) NYCFC was on short rest. Such confident talk for a crappy coaching job.

Reactions: JayH
Let me guess “two set piece goals and RBNJ had two or three opportunities that could have gone in, but we controlled the game” - tool. Someone should ask why his team had little intensity considering 1) the press is the team’s identity and 2) NYCFC was on short rest. Such confident talk for a crappy coaching job.
Fuck him and John Wayne.

Reactions: VernonJohn
I don't like either of these. I think they're both low class.

Part of my sports development was being a fan of my college rugby team. They and their opponents would beat the shit out of each other on the field for 60 minutes. Then the whistle would blow and they'd all hug and go drinking together.

After the final whistle I never like the impulse to make someone else feel like shit in order to bolster my own self worth.
Agreed. I'm all for classy banter, but the "you're shit" and "fuck the..." Is stooping low, making us look like animals. I've always wished our fans would upgrade from the juvenile "F the Red bulls" chant.

is he playing better because he is getting more consistent playing time and rounding into form or is it possible the formation change to to 3ATB has helped give him more cover?
I'm sure others are far more qualified than I am to really analyze this, but I certainly got the impression it was the latter. Callens, Martins and Chanot all being on the pitch at the same time creates a really mobile, experienced line, and having Gray nearby provides a quality 1v1 defender to back him up and get in anyone's face who gets behind him. So, he's free to do all the dirty work in the midfield.

I count 3 smiles and we won. it's not a coincidence. :)

ic98f6zcdpdouotwktuh.jpg

I brought someone who had never been to a live soccer game before. He described the game as "NYCFC looked like the guys from FIFA moving the ball around and moving without the ball and the Red Bulls just fouled a lot."