Mls Stadiums And Fields

Z4CH3B99

Borracho Aficionado
Aug 5, 2014
I was just wondering if you guys had opinions about any of the current stadiums/fields in the MLS? Do you have any experiences at stadiums you have visited?

I was watching a stream of the New England Revolution game tonight and I couldn't help but notice how awful the field looked. You could clearly see the yard markers and lettering from the field when the Patriots play. Is it really that hard to convert a field from football to soccer? (Obviously it's not if Seattle can do it!)

RedBull Arena is amazing.

From tv, I like SKC the best. I know an Ivy Funds salesman. Said it's an incredibly beautiful stadium.

DC and NE have it tough.

The Patriots are playing at Gillette tomorrow, so there wouldn't be enough time to switch over to football lines. Plus, they're the primary tenant so their games get preference. It happens whenever the schedules are too tight. Seattle had to play on football lines at least once this season, and may very well have to again before the end of the playoffs.

I'm not a huge fan of the shared stadiums, but its still better than RFK in DC, which looks like it might fall down any day now. The new Quakes stadium is looking pretty nice from pictures.

Reactions: Kjbert
I've been to a few.

-DC at least has grass and sole-occapancy but its a terrible old and decrepit stadium.
-Crew has a nice field but the stadium is a erector set in the middle of a dirt parking lot.
-NE, read above. Turf sucks. At least NYCFC will have grass.
-SEA, PTL,VAN may have atmosphere but their astro-turf fields suck. Atlanta will have this too, probably Minnesota if they are approved. Orlando will be on Turf in a football (american) stadium next year. Ugh.
-Colorado is like a upgraded Crew stadium. Parking lot is paved and there are many soccer pitches around it.
-Philly has a nice stadium, but its in a ghetto.
-MTL, SKC, RSL, are really nice solid stadiums with a great atmosphere. SJ looks good for next year. Although I wish the train/BART station was closer.
-LA is okay but like Chicago, Houston and sometimes Dallas they think its okay to play other sports there or not pay a grounds person good money so their pitch sucks half the season. Otherwise they have good stadiums.
-Other than the surrounding area, RB Arena is probably the best.

Did I miss anyone?

It will way more awesomer when TFC replaces their nice grass field with fieldturf during their proposed and planned expansion next year. Yeah, we are reverting there. But TFC has been doing that since day 1.

It will way more awesomer when TFC replaces their nice grass field with fieldturf during their proposed and planned expansion next year. Yeah, we are reverting there. But TFC has been doing that since day 1.
What has TFC done that's so awful?

What has TFC done that's so awful?
Are you new to MLS and following Toronto FC? They have failed to make the post-season every single year, including this year after spending a record $100 million on players. They are a joke, between firing 8 coaches in 7 years and going through a 100 players they are still a wreck. Best thing was their new president promising they would make the playoffs this year.

Interesting article:
Four ways to end Toronto FC's playoff drought in 2015
http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...s-how-to-fix-the-clubs-problems-doug-mcintyre

Are you new to MLS and following Toronto FC? They have failed to make the post-season every single year, including this year after spending a record $100 million on players. They are a joke, between firing 8 coaches in 7 years and going through a 100 players they are still a wreck. Best thing was their new president promising they would make the playoffs this year.

Interesting article:
Four ways to end Toronto FC's playoff drought in 2015
http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...s-how-to-fix-the-clubs-problems-doug-mcintyre
No, I'm not new to MLS. I've just never really closely followed a team. I'm also not too familiar with league policies and the more unusual rules.

No, I'm not new to MLS. I've just never really closely followed a team. I'm also not too familiar with league policies and the more unusual rules.
Nothing about TFC has anything to do with MLS's special or confusing rules. Its about bad business and soccer decisions and repeating them over, over and over again. Like I said, they are a train wreck.

Nothing about TFC has anything to do with MLS's special or confusing rules. Its about bad business and soccer decisions and repeating them over, over and over again. Like I said, they are a train wreck.

I agree with everything you said, though I will add that I remember reading something that said BMO returning to fieldturf was just a rumor and won't actually be happening. Do you have a more current source that confirms that?

Also, Z4CH3B99 are you aware that the version of the new MLS logo you're using for your avatar pic represents the Houston Dynamo?

Beyond traditionalism, why do folks hate the new turf?

That says it will be longer for CFL, but doesn't necessarily mean that it will be turf. Plenty of NFL teams play on grass, so I'm sure the Argonauts could too if it comes to that.

Kjbert, its partly traditionalism I'm sure, but beyond that grass fields just look a lot better imo. Nicely mowed patterns rather than a characterless green carpet with rubber pellets flying off it. Plus a lot of players dislike turf because the ball reacts differently, it's harder on the knees and ankles, etc.

I agree with everything you said, though I will add that I remember reading something that said BMO returning to fieldturf was just a rumor and won't actually be happening. Do you have a more current source that confirms that?

Also, Z4CH3B99 are you aware that the version of the new MLS logo you're using for your avatar pic represents the Houston Dynamo?
Yes, I'm well aware of that. Frankly, I just used it because it looked cool.

Reactions: Goodfella
That says it will be longer for CFL, but doesn't necessarily mean that it will be turf. Plenty of NFL teams play on grass, so I'm sure the Argonauts could too if it comes to that.

Kjbert, its partly traditionalism I'm sure, but beyond that grass fields just look a lot better imo. Nicely mowed patterns rather than a characterless green carpet with rubber pellets flying off it. Plus a lot of players dislike turf because the ball reacts differently, it's harder on the knees and ankles, etc.
Its mostly an abomination because it doesn't play like real grass and its killer on the knees. I think thats good enough reason, don't you think?

It's also been blamed for a spate of injuries that it is claimed wouldn't have occurred on natural grass - many players refuse to play on it.

I can only imagine those who don't think it's a big deal have never played on it. I've played on it in cold and warm locations. Sucks everywhere.

Do you think the ball is supposed to bounce that way in Seattle?

Yeah, I remember playing American football on turf a few times when I was younger and it was definitely a very different experience. I'm sure it's even more of an issue in soccer when so much of the play happens on the surface.

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with hybrid turf/grass systems like Desso? I wonder how much better it is.

Yeah, I remember playing American football on turf a few times when I was younger and it was definitely a very different experience. I'm sure it's even more of an issue in soccer when so much of the play happens on the surface.

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with hybrid turf/grass systems like Desso? I wonder how much better it is.
What's the point of a hybrid grass turf system? The only reason anyone installs turf is to save money that would be spent constantly watering and repairing a grass field. Doesn't a hybrid defeat the purpose?