Montreal Postmatch

Someone asked PV this during the post-match interview. The answer was something along the lines of "he had a question about a strategy and it's something the staff needs to work on" or something like that.
Vieira needs to run for office with lines like that.

But I don't think that is the standard for counting attendance in the NFL. For example, the Steelers have a long streak of continuous sellouts at Heinz Field, but the attendance numbers are always fluctuating from game to game. I'm sure this is the case at other NFL stadiums as well.

Tickets sold = attendance is a MLS thing, not a sports thing.

Regarding Pirlo, he made quite a few lovely lofted passes, *but* basically every time he did a MTL player won the aerial battle, which wound up giving the impression that the Maestro was "doing nothing". I saw him working hard, pressing, taking advantage of his further-forward position to make space (he was further up than Villa a few times), and defending.

I feel like there's a tendency to pile on Pirlo because, yes, he hasn't been the wizard we all know he can be, he hasn't scored from a free kick yet, etc., but honestly I think he's heard some of the "Pirlo doesn't do anything" criticism, or has started to accept the realities of MLS, and has upped his workrate this season considerably.

Of course, this results in Pirlo not being able to go the full 90 anymore...
I feel like pirlo is getting credit for his effort today. I don't believe it was something sporadic that came over him. I think the message went out that hey your two dummy teammates in the midfield got early yellow cards, we are going to need to to break up plays now cause they others cant really go full blooded into challenges anymore (although god help him mikey tried his best to get sent off). So Pirlo had to play more defensive then he wanted and it burned him out so he had to be subbed.

Subbing in mendoza after going a goal up, not excited vieira elected to do that. I think its vieira's logic is that he wants more chances on goal and he gives up so he pressed for 2-0, but Shelton is young and I don't think he looked gassed. I don't think he added much with that substitution. I would have rather seen 1 of the holding mids replaced with martinez earlier. That could have saved pirlo's legs some and maybe if he still needed it he could have went with mix for pirlo, or if he was still ok, had mix come in for mikey. And then obviously RJ was a forced sub he had to make. With a 1-0 I would have like to see out the game rather then press for 2 but hey viera is sticking with his system.

But I don't think that is the standard for counting attendance in the NFL. For example, the Steelers have a long streak of continuous sellouts at Heinz Field, but the attendance numbers are always fluctuating from game to game. I'm sure this is the case at other NFL stadiums as well.
fair point. paid attendance is not the standard for NFL, as far a I know the league allows teams to report paid or turnstile figures, its up to the team. MLB & MLS definitely uses paid attendance. so my prior statement was probably too blanket

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Subbing in mendoza after going a goal up, not excited vieira elected to do that. I think its vieira's logic is that he wants more chances on goal and he gives up so he pressed for 2-0, but Shelton is young and I don't think he looked gassed. I don't think he added much with that substitution.
I really disagree with this. Khiry was working his ass off, and from the broadcast I was watching, he looked spent. He also went the full 90 at Philly.

Many games I have questioned PV's subs, but I find it hard to do so again. I wanted Mix on for Mikey at the half, but think Mendoza on for Khiry was the right move. Then as you pointed out, the RJ injury forced his hand there. Which lead to him waiting much longer to use the third.

I don't want to wait until fucking midnight. So I fire up Fox Sports Go on my laptop (since both Apple TV and PS4 don't have Fox Sport Go apps) and log in. The game is blacked out for me there. I thought this was supposed to be the other option?????

There HAS to be a better option here. Either YES gets those games live on another channel, FSGo actually works, and/or MLS Free Kick allows these local games to be broadcast, as there is not a live option.
I went on a rampage on the chat box myself last night.

I have used FOX Sports Go any number of times in the past and never had a problem until last night. I don't know if it was coincidence or the fact they completely remade the site since I last used it, but I couldn't get in after trying to log on a dozen times or so.

I ended up using another stream. I tried FOX again at half time and it worked. WTF?
fair point. paid attendance is not the standard for NFL, as far a I know the league allows teams to report paid or turnstile figures, its up to the team. MLB & MLS definitely uses paid attendance. so my prior statement was probably too blanket
I don't know if they still do it or not, but there was a time MLB would announce both paid and actual attendance.

Reactions: Goodfella
I had an excellent view of Mix leaving the pitch after full time. He looked like someone had just run over his dog. Poku was rubbing his shoulders, trying to cheer him up.

Got a shot of him last night walking off. Most of the players looked really beat down.

P4276246.JPG

I am so disappointed to lose. Let me say that first. HOWEVA, this might have been one of the most dominant performances we've seen from this team in a while. Montreal had one or two chances all game, and we lapsed on one of the final kicks of the game. Really unfortunate, but thankfully we're not tying due to an all-around poor performance. We really destroyed the #2 team in the east. I think the results and the goals will come soon.

RJ played a great game and is a much, much better fit for the squad than Iraola. Andoni has his uses, for sure, but Allen brings pace and creativity and the ability to beat a defender. He put MLS' best defender on skates in the first half and megged his defender later in the second half. Incredible that he was pulled off the street last year to get to this spot.

The lights after the goal last night were great. We need something of our own to celebrate. I've never seen anything like that. But we were sabotaged from the start when the guy sang "O, Canada" partially in French and then ruined the National Anthem. You can't fight fate like that. Time to win against a just "okay" Vancouver squad who'll be on even shorter rest than NYC.

Ok gents, after rewatching most of the game here are my thoughts and then I will get back to reading some of your thoughts in this thread.

Overall, this is another game where the opposing team had no business getting points from us but because we have such a flawed GK, any minuscule chance the opposing team has, they have a chance to score and steal points, and it happened AGAIN TONIGHT. The only redeeming quality with Saunders is that his distribution with his throws is spot on. We saw it again tonight, and we have seen it throughout his time with us. HOWEVER!!!!!!!!! If that is the best quality a GK has, then we have MAJOR MAJOR problems. Distribution, especially with throws from a GK shouldn't even be considered at this level. IT IS A GIVING!!!!!!! that any pro keeper should be able to provide good to great distribution with his throws.

Saunders is lacking in so many areas, and I feel like a broken record naming them all again, and I WONT, because frankly it is tiresome. His play on that MTL goal was just AWFUL. Again, I ask the question YTF (a new wtf?) is this guy starting for us? WHY?????????????????????

Overall I thought the defensive backline played very well. They really clamped down on Drogba and Piatti. I thought Brillant was very good. RJ Allen really showed me something tonight on both sides, Mata is Mata, easily our best defender and one of the best backs in MLS without question. Hernandez was you know the usual meh Hernandez. We could do a lot better but we could do worse too.

Overall on Pirlo. He is a great player, with great vision but he doesn't belong on this team. He adds absolutely NOTHING.

Having Bravo as a CDM was great. I hope he continues to start in that role, having him in front of the backline really helps.

Lopez should not be starting. He has a good motor, but his overall touch and passing is atrocious! He needs to improve on this.

I thought Shelton was pretty OK, he did some very good things, but again he just lacks the confidence and the touch to hold up play on the flanks, and/or give good crosses. Not sure what the solution is here really. Tony Taylor might be an improvement but not by much.

I thought Villa was pretty bad again. He has not been good this year. He tries so hard to score, he forgets to make the right play/pass. He had TMAC twice open for a shot in the box on the run and he just ignored him. He needs to start to finish better otherwise we have ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE IN HELL TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

Mix really shit the bed IMO. I love Mix, and I think coming off the bench for him is a big no-no especially on this team. He should be starting every game without question. He is without a doubt one of our better midfielders. No reason to start Lopez over him.

Overall I think we are improving. If we can get a real GK then our defense will be MUCH MUCH better and then maybe we can start to pull out some of these 1-0 wins, 2-1 wins. However if Villa continues to play poorly, that would mean we have 3 DPS on this team that are providing absolutely NOTHING. We have some good role players, but we need the top talent on this team to start to play better, if not, again WE ARE IN BIG TIME TROUBLE.

The MLS continues to be a joke with its TV coverage. I have a subscription to Time Warner Cable and added the sports package to that. In addition, I subscribed to MLS Free Kick or whatever its called. Find out that game is tape delayed to midnight due to Yankee game (YES has to be able to sell the rights to this game to MSG or someone else, right?).

I don't want to wait until fucking midnight. So I fire up Fox Sports Go on my laptop (since both Apple TV and PS4 don't have Fox Sport Go apps) and log in. The game is blacked out for me there. I thought this was supposed to be the other option?????

So I attempt to fire up MLS Free Kick on the Apple TV and that is blacked out there too. I ended up using a VPN and firing up Free Kick on my laptop, so ended up able to watch it, but I imagine many others were not able to.

There HAS to be a better option here. Either YES gets those games live on another channel, FSGo actually works, and/or MLS Free Kick allows these local games to be broadcast, as there is not a live option.

Oh, and Apple TV and PS4 need FSGo apps. I know this really would not have helped last night, but wtf.

This may not be relevant to this thread, but it was my first bullet point for my post-match thoughts, and I ended up deciding this was a completely separate rant and needed its own post.
Just an FYI, you can AirPlay from the Fox Sports app on your phone to your Appletv. That's what I do for champions league.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
8 games
8 different lineups

No, I'm not looking at stats from last year. That's Patrick Vieira.

exactly right! After the Orlando game at home, not sure why he benched Bravo and really until last night, he didn't give Bravo major major minutes. Overall, in any sport, if you have lack of continuity with the lineup, you will not find success.

Reactions: Goodfella
I really disagree with this. Khiry was working his ass off, and from the broadcast I was watching, he looked spent. He also went the full 90 at Philly.

Many games I have questioned PV's subs, but I find it hard to do so again. I wanted Mix on for Mikey at the half, but think Mendoza on for Khiry was the right move. Then as you pointed out, the RJ injury forced his hand there. Which lead to him waiting much longer to use the third.
hey your perspective is your perspective. I could be wrong about him being tired as he played on the far flank from me. If he was tired, then i would have still subbed him too, but where I differ from vieira's strategy 30 min left to play I would have subbed him for a holding mid as we had two guys on yellow and an aged pirlo playing in the mid.

But look, I guess vieira was right on his strategy, we basically had the 1-0 win in hand and got gut punched on a set piece.

hey your perspective is your perspective. I could be wrong about him being tired as he played on the far flank from me. If he was tired, then i would have still subbed him too, but where I differ from vieira's strategy 30 min left to play I would have subbed him for a holding mid as we had two guys on yellow and an aged pirlo playing in the mid.

But look, I guess vieira was right on his strategy, we basically had the 1-0 win in hand and got gut punched on a set piece.

Got punched because we have an amateur in NET for us who was out of the league a couple of seasons ago. This game, and he game vs Toronto, we had no business giving away points.

I beg to differ, last night wasn't a gut punch at all, it was a castration while fully conscious.

Don't see how Saunders was as much at fault for the goal as everyone is saying. If we arnt going to bother marking them and give them a header from that close theres not alot a goalie can do... im worried we have adopted the MCFC offside trap which only works if you have leaders such as Kompany. With our mess of a defence it just seems stupid as we try to play offside at every freekick and someone messes it up and plays everyone onside.
That being said about Saunders im all for dropping him just not everything is his fault as everyone makes out.

Montreal are top of the conference and Drogba was playing so we did pretty well which is the most frustrating thing to throw it away rather than last year when we were just shit and deserved to lose.

Don't see how Saunders was as much at fault for the goal as everyone is saying. If we arnt going to bother marking them and give them a header from that close theres not alot a goalie can do... im worried we have adopted the MCFC offside trap which only works if you have leaders such as Kompany. With our mess of a defence it just seems stupid as we try to play offside at every freekick and someone messes it up and plays everyone onside.
That being said about Saunders im all for dropping him just not everything is his fault as everyone makes out.

Montreal are top of the conference and Drogba was playing so we did pretty well which is the most frustrating thing to throw it away rather than last year when we were just shit and deserved to lose.

You are partially right. Saunders was in fact 100% to blame. As a former GK you are taught that a cross, especially a low cross that close to the net, on the near/front post, 2 feet in front of you, you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE IT, or at the very least get your fists on it and push it to the side. Yes Ethan White is an idiot for not marking, but even still the GK is supposed to be there to bail out his defense especially on a night where he face TWO SHOTS. TWO SHOTS!!!!! You can tell both reactions from White and Saunders says it all. Ethan couldn't believe that ball went in, and Saunders had his hands on his head, thinking WTF did I do. 100% on Saunders.

Alot of people here have been clamoring to play Pirlo in one of the forward CM spots, and we saw why that was a dumb idea. Pirlo has to play as a deep lying playermaker. If you want defensive help we have to play with a double pivot whether its a 4231 or a 433 with two holding midfielders or the 3223 or even a 4222.

Ronald and Tommy combined very well with together on the left side. Same thing with Khiry and RJ. Khiry has really impressed me with his improved crossing service the last couple of games. I feel that right side would have been even better with Mix. Lopez's distribution leaves alot to be desired.

I thought Mendoza is much better in the role off the bench. Hopefully RJ is not too hurt.

Watch the replay of the goal. Saunders is nearly on the front post, and first backtracks and then goes back forward - he's late to the post because of the change in momentum/hesitation. GK 101 is that it's easier and faster to go forward than back, so one should always be in a deeper starting position thus allowing the only movement needed is to go forward. It's also his responsibility to call out for a teammate to cover the front post so that he can start farther back. - in effect, he had two gaffes on that play.